Am I Crazy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-27-2001, 02:02 PM
Am I Crazy?

Hi All,

My tah is scheduled for Nov. 29, one week post Thanksgiving. I thought that would give me enough time ( three weeks) for recoup before Christmas. I'm 42, no small children at home, so should be able to rest entire three weeks. Am I pushing it? Chirstmas is just my husband and self and three daughters (24, 21, 17) so I'll have plenty of help with dinner and clean-up. Don't worry about upsetting me, if you think it will be too much, let me know. I'd rather plan than be disappointed. Thanks all,
Pheeyis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2001, 02:09 PM
Am I Crazy?

Hi there

I also had a TAH/Bladder repair on 9/17. I will be 6 weeks post up in a couple of days

You should be o.k. with the meal prep and clean up as long as you have some help. I would suggest however, that you not plan on getting a lot of shopping/errands done. I went to the mall today for a couple of hours trying on clothes. I was exhausted after I returned and I am almost 6 weeks !

Best of luck to you !
Unread 10-27-2001, 02:20 PM
Am I Crazy?

The Dinner plans sound yummy!

You will tire very easily at 3 weeks but if you have a couch near the dining room etc. and have to do nothing you'll be fine! Let them pamper you!!! Resting for 6 weeks means "with feet up.

Enjoy this time!!! You'll have your LIFE BACK.

Blessings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2001, 02:53 PM
Am I Crazy?

Hi Pheeyis!!

I think that you will be fine as well!! I say this because of the ages of your daughters. They certainly will be able to handle all the Christmas preparation, while mom just "supervises" from the sofa I would say!! I am sure the girls could also do any last minute shopping that you need done.

By 3 weeks you will be feeling probably fairly good, but of course still not able to do any strenuous work around the house, or prolonged standing, but as I say, it sounds like you have it made with your girls and hubby!!

Best of luck with your surgery, and have a wonderful relaxing pampered Christmas!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 10-27-2001, 09:31 PM
watch the lifting!

I think you will be able to enjoy Christmas...probably more than for a long time! However, you must be very careful about lifting! I was not cleared for any heavy lifting (like more than 5 pounds) until my SIX week check up...that pretty much eliminates picking up a turkey big enough for your family's dinner, for example. Or Christmas packages. Let your family's gift to you be waiting on you this holiday season! I know I would love that...a great excuse to stop and smell the pine needles instead of rushing around trying to do too much (which is what I tend to do at Christmas)!

Enjoy!
Unread 10-27-2001, 10:05 PM
Sounds like I am the odd man out?

Sounds like I am the only one posting a different opinion...I personally would NOT want to have my surgery so close to a holiday...BUT...lemme explain why, first!

My recuperation (TAH) was pretty uneventful..and I am just at...9 weeks almost, I think? BUT, I know that I would not have been able to stay down...I don't care if my Mom herself was here (Who I totally trust to do everything!)...I just couldn't sit and rest and let everyone else do it all! (That's ME, though!)

Also...three weeks before Xmas...that is the craziest, most "last minute I gotta get it all done" time for me! And believe me when I say that 3 weeks post op is NO TIME to be out shopping, carrolling, hosting gatherings, or even going to other peoples homes/parties! Three weeks is to post-op like 7 years is an itch to marriage! All of your internal stitches are dissolving...and your organs are all testing shaky grounds...standing solo again...and it is just the famed time for relapses in recuperation!

Just another opinion...

Hugs,
Kat
Unread 10-27-2001, 10:41 PM
Am I Crazy?

I am scheduled to have a TAH with one ovary removed and I hope the other one too. Mine is scheduled for December 5. This was the first date available. I just don't think that I can live with this pain until January. I am divorced and have two children that live at home with me, 15 and 11 year old boys. I plan on putting the tree up the weekend before. I was so relieved to be able to get this surgery but the realness is starting to scare me. I have been so lucky not to have had this major type of surgery before. I hope that I can rest afterwards but I can see myself doing too much and trying to make Christmas "normal". Sorry for the rambling. First post.

Trish
Unread 10-27-2001, 11:35 PM
Welcome Newbie Poster! ;)

Hi Trish!!

Welcome to Hyster Sisters! Please don't apologize for "rambling!" First of all...Hyster Sisters is here so we CAN "ramble" on about these issues....and secondly...that was not even a qualified ramble!

Man...have a looksee at some of my posts...whew! Will knock the wind outta ya'!

That's what I meant, exactly...when I said that I personally couldn't do a holiday recuperation! I know I would hurt myself and may even end up back in the castle for the holidays instead! Yuck! Had my DD on Easter...HATED being in the hospital for a holiday...it was so depressing and I had a brand new baby! Can't imagine what it would be like for this!
Unread 10-28-2001, 06:14 AM
holiday hyst

I totally agree with TigersKat. Three weeks post op for me had me very limited in my activity. If I did not stay in bed resting for most of the day, I would pay for it dearly with pain, exhaustion, fever, and spotting! I guess everyone is different, but this procedure is a major trauma to your body, and it does take a really long time to heal.

At almost 4 weeks, I had my DH take me out for a ride in the car just to get out of the house, and it proved to be a big mistake, as I came home MISERABLE from the ride - you feel EVERY little bump in the road, I assure you - and they hurt!

You can surely have an enjoyable holiday, but please try to just supervise the activities and not do them yourself.... don't lift the turkey or anything else over 5 lbs. At the time you may feel it is okay, but later your body will punish you! Guaranteed!

This year, be an innocent bystander. Take good care of you.
Unread 10-28-2001, 07:14 AM
Am I Crazy?

Thankyou Tigerskat! I thought I was the only one that felt that way....as much as I trust anyone to do things, I could not possibly sit back and let someone else do Christmas. It's such a special time for the whole family and we all love it! But everyone looks forward to the decorations that mom puts up inside the house the most.

My TAH is scheduled for Nov 6th. This puts me in a dilemna because 3 weeks post-op puts me at around Dec.1st, our traditional time to dress the house up (even tho the kids beg for sooner!). I realize that it will be impossible for me to do this at such an early time with all the lifting and stretching involved. And like you Tigerskat, I can't sit back and let someone else do it...it will drive me nuts!!!

So, I've made the descision to decorate the house for Christmas the day before I go in (shhhhhhh, don't tell the kids). This way I'll know it's done and ready and we can all enjoy the decorations for a few extra weeks. I've tried to do a good chunk of the shopping (especially for the stockings...lol) and get as ready as possible because I don't think I'll be able to get around the crushes in the malls 4 weeks post-op without getting exhausted.

My goodness...I'm rambling about Christmas and halloween hasn't even gone by! At least we Canadians have our thanksgiving over with!!!!

So, Pheeyis, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think you're going to get very much done by yourself....don't even try! There are hundreds of stitches healing in there. But if you think you can sit back and be a true princess and not lift a finger, then I applaud you and say go for it!!!!!

Windy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register