TVH Flat in bed? How to lie down after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Flat in bed? How to lie down after hysterectomy? Flat in bed? How to lie down after hysterectomy?

Unread 09-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Flat in bed? How to lie down after hysterectomy?

I have a silly question that I've been wondering about for the last week now.. When we are supposed to be resting in bed to heal, are we supposed to be completely horizontal or can we sit propped up against the head board? Do legs need to stay flat or is it ok to bring them up? I know it sounds dumb but I just don't want to risk healing in the wrong position and screw anything up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Re: Flat in bed?

I've wondered similar and I'm just over two weeks post op. My question is about sleeping on your side?

I know if I have been up a bit, I begin to feel "pressure" low in my abdomen/peri area. That is when I lay flat, or legs elevated. I made the mistake of sleeping legs elevated a few nights and know I could tell that allowed my tummy muscles to shorten/contract and I was more sore trying to stand straight.

Can't wait to hear opinions and thanks for starting this thread Doodles!
Unread 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Not a silly question at all! I don't know if there's a right way or wrong way to lay in bed. I was propped up against a bunch of pillows most of the time, not straight up, but reclining. Until later in the day when I would get more tired and slowly become horizontal. I brought my legs up when they were achy from being straight too long and straightened them out when I was tired of holding them up. One thing I found that was really comfy was putting a pillow under my knees when they were straight. I'm actually sitting on the couch like that now lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Oh I'm so glad to hear im not alone in this! What you ladies described is exactly what I'm doing too. I guess it can't be too bad as long as we are not staying a certain way the whole time.
Naturally: I've been comfortable enough to sleep on my side since about 5days post op. I had vaginal incision though so I don't feel much of anything when I lay down, only when I walk or sit up do I feel stings and pressure. Hope you can get comfortable soon!
Unread 09-03-2014, 04:14 PM

It took me about 2.5 weeks to be able to lay on my sides and to about 3.5 weeks to lay on my belly. I still avoid the belly most of the time, but that's my preferred sleep position, so it feels amazing when I do it!
Unread 09-03-2014, 04:17 PM

I'm sleeping really good on my back, just favor sleeping on my side. I just feel the tummy shift when I roll to the side-a touch of a sting near the incision yet..

So glad to have the support here. It's not knowing that makes things scary sometimes, yet I hate to call a nurse very few minutes! Here I feel sorta normal!

Sister hugs!
Unread 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturally View Post
I'm sleeping really good on my back, just favor sleeping on my side. I just feel the tummy shift when I roll to the side-a touch of a sting near the incision yet..

So glad to have the support here. It's not knowing that makes things scary sometimes, yet I hate to call a nurse very few minutes! Here I feel sorta normal!

Sister hugs!
Yup, that's exactly how I felt when I first started sleeping on my side. Now it's not really there often, which is awesome. I keep my pillow hugged up tight to me still too.
Unread 09-03-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles0912 View Post
I have a silly question that I've been wondering about for the last week now.. When we are supposed to be resting in bed to heal, are we supposed to be completely horizontal or can we sit propped up against the head board? Do legs need to stay flat or is it ok to bring them up? I know it sounds dumb but I just don't want to risk healing in the wrong position and screw anything up!
I don't think there is a wrong or right way to position ourselves when we go to sleep at night. Whatever feels the best is kind of how I do it. I have always hated sleeping on my back and was so thrilled when I could once again sleep on my side or towards my tummy - that took 6 weeks. I have an 8" vertical incision and read that it takes so much longer to heal than other types of incisions.

And I couldn't agree more, just love this place for the support that it provides as well as the answers to the endless questions that I seem to have.

Happy healing ladies
Unread 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM

I lay on side with pillow wedged around belly then I put pillow between knees.when I change sides it's quite a fiasco..I move to other end of bed so I am always facing away from my husband so no risk of being elbowed or nudged.he wakes up every night and wonders where I am.lol
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:02 PM

i am 9 days today since surgery and l have to move every couple of hours, not sleeping past 3am, tired after shower and need to walk not stand up as the pressure becomes pain and have to lie down again after ten minutes up. Feeling positive and wish you all the best getting comfy. I had to go in car to chiropractor to try to adjist my neck, the car was way to bumpy and had to lie down for most of next day. I'm learning through my body not my brain and listening to my instincts and body, not my crazy martyr head. Good luck to all

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register