When your hysterectomy goes terribly wrong.... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When your hysterectomy goes terribly wrong.... When your hysterectomy goes terribly wrong....

Unread 01-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Re: When your hysterectomy goes terribly wrong....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorrieMinicozzi View Post
...my doctor (need a new one since I cannot look the old one in the eye)...
After the screw-up your doc perpetrated, it should be more like, your doc doesn't dare look *you* in the eye!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2015, 03:50 PM
When your hysterectomy goes terribly wrong....

Sorry to hear about your blood clot -was that after laparoscopic? Mine came somewhere after the second surgery -hoe are you feeling and what are they doing about it?
Unread 01-19-2015, 03:56 PM

Holy cow -how are you feeling???? Sane for me about not knowing what happened in there -they didn't tell me why they were giving me s blood transfusion -just that I was in need of one -four weeks later -when the kidney stint came out, the urologist "slipped" and told me about the blood vessel that the gun forgot to close. I don't understand about your surgery and mine and how we do not have the right to know EXACTLY what went on during surgery. Mind blowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2015, 04:00 PM

I really hope you are doing better -sounds like a you had a rough time with it. Since you have had a hysterectomy dies that mean you do not have to go for gyn appt any longer or are they still necessary?
Unread 01-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, Lorrie; and unfortunately screw ups with the Da Vinci laparoscopic surgery methods are not uncommon. In my own case, I underwent an emergency hysterectomy of 2.5 years ago (removal of both ovaries too) to remove a large fibroid (over 10cms) and curtail the excruciating pain I was experiencing after my ob-gyn performed a biopsy in her office. I still don't know how I drove home that day....less than an hour later I was in the local ER plied with morphine at 20 minute intervals just to ward off the pain so they could perform the necessary tests, scans, etc. About a week later I went in for da vinci surgery; then while still all drugged up and barely aware in recovery some hours later, my doc told me, my husband and 15 yr old daughter that the surgery was 'as tough as they come', but I could go home whenever I wanted that same night...and it seemed like they wanted me to go home, big time. Within 10 days after feeling some initial post op pain relief from the surgery, and weaning myself off the percocet, the excruciating pain returned but this time concentrated more on my lower right side of my abdomen. Off to the ER again where many drugs, tests and exploratory surgery later, they discovered my right ureter had been severed during the hysterectomy. Then because the docs felt that my innards were too inflamed by the multiple procedures, I had to wait for 2 more months before I could resolve this with repair surgery....a period of real disability that found me wearing a nephrosis bag that could drain urine attached to a tube coming out of my bladder. And in order to try to go about my normal life with some discretion, I adapted a fanny pack attached to an adjustable belt that could contain this urine filling medical bag....absolutely all on my own. Even the radiology dept of the hospital had nothing to offer me, as they were more accustomed to nonmobile patients getting this kind of bag and therefore may have had special packs that could be masked by the gear of a wheelchair. I considered myself a vital (if not especially young) woman of 51 when this all happened, but it turned my life upside down. Within just a week or so of the repair surgery which thankfully was successful, I was attending my older daughter's high school graduation with a leaky catheter (dismissed by docs I complained to, until the temporary surgical stent they put in place was discovered to have dislodged!) sending me to the ladies room where I continually changed adult Depends until we finally drove home...would love to see one of those docs who put me off when I complained about it as 'all catheters leak a little' go through a package of Depends in one day! Not normal! It certainly wasn't a normal life for a while, but today I am free of the pain and the fibroid and hemmorhage-like monthly periods, though I get monitored annually my by urologist who performed the surgery, a wonderful doc; I've stopped going to all docs other than my urologist annually for the time being, feeling a bit fed up, and now beginning to possibly contend with the fluctuations of hormones having a field day. So yes I am grateful to have normal function back, but I have learned way more than I ever hoped to about pain & suffering, and how to be a squeaky wheel when something doesn't feel right....something that isn't normally my style. Good luck with your continued recovery and things will get better--have faith!
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Wow girl -you take the cake -holy moly!!!!! I am so sorry and I hope you weren't legally responsible for all those bills. The hospital however, offered, without my asking, to remove the bill for seven days in hospital, all tests and ER visits. I still have to pay the surgeons, anesthesia, hematologist and urologist but at least it is something. You have been through hell -I sm glad you are well. I too went home with the bag and tried to conceal it -not fun!!!!! Stay well and thanks for sharing
Unread 01-21-2015, 06:13 AM

Hi lorrie, i take warfarin for the pulmonary embolism. I think it is a 6 month treatment. Mine happened nine days post op. I had my hyster done TAH
Unread 01-21-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Wow girl -you take the cake -holy moly!!!!! I am so sorry and I hope you weren't legally responsible for all those bills. The hospital however, offered, without my asking, to remove the bill for seven days in hospital, all tests and ER visits. I still have to pay the surgeons, anesthesia, hematologist and urologist but at least it is something. You have been through hell -I sm glad you are well. I too went home with the bag and tried to conceal it -not fun!!!!! Stay well and thanks for sharing
Call the surgeons and ask who's the idiot who attached your urethra to your vagina and who's the fool who forgot to tie off a blood vessel. Then ask them if they really feel that they deserve to be paid.
Unread 01-21-2015, 07:01 AM

So sorry to hear that you have a clot too -hiw scary!!! Will you be taking blood thinners forever or what is the next step?
Unread 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So sorry to hear that you have a clot too -hiw scary!!! Will you be taking blood thinners forever or what is the next step?
Hi Lorri,

I think it is a 6 month treatment .. How about you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register