Scheduled TAH Looking to connect with others | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking to connect with others Looking to connect with others

Unread 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Looking to connect with others

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the "Introduce Yourself" section, but after receiving the reply from the moderator I think maybe it belongs here instead. I hope the double post is acceptable to the site:

I'm new here and just wanted to connect with others who might understand how I'm feeling.

I'm having a TAH RSO (possible BSO) on 10/25. I have large fibroids, a nasty cyst on my right ovary, and severe endometriosis. My doc said it's "a mess" in there. He's hopeful I can keep my left ovary, but he said he may have to take it too if he gets in there and sees problems the laparoscopy didn't show.

Right now I'm living in a temporary apartment because I moved here from another state to care for my mother who is undergoing chemotherapy. My husband is in Iraq and I don't really know anyone here. I'm feeling pretty alone. The Red Cross is relaying the info about my surgery so my husband can come here for 2 weeks when I have the surgery. After the 2 weeks, I'm on my own again. I have to take care of my Mom, take care of my 2 dogs, and recover from my surgery all alone here. Needless to say, I'm terrified of what is in store for me.

Anyone who has had the same surgery, I'd love to hear what the recovery is like after the first 2 weeks so I can know what to expect.

I'm 42 years old, and I'm in fairly good shape right now, work out 3-4 times a week, although not as much in the past few weeks due to pain. Does being in decent physical shape help with recovery? When can I expect to work out again? I'm very worried about weight gain after surgery.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be wonderful. As I said, I'm just feeling really alone and scared right now. I don't have any support system here since I'm just living here temporarily, and I'm actually here to be a support system for my mother. How's that for irony?

Boodle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Re: Looking to connect with others

Hugs to you for all you've been through! I just had a TAH and it's very scary, but really not all that bad once you're done! You WILL get through it! This site is the BEST for support and information. Let us know what you need!
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:56 PM

ohhhh sweetheart!!!!!

you have a lot on your plate!!! i understand the whole hubby being gone. my hubby was air force. here is my story..

i have lived with endo for most of my woman hood..my dr said the same thing about it being a mess in there. i had a TAH with ovaries removed on oct 4th. i have never felt better!!! i am only 27 yrs old. talk about young lol. but right now i feel like 27 and not 127.

monday will be my 2 week mark and i go to the dr on tuesday and i am asking for a work release. i have been cleaning the house going shopping. just not lifting anything at all heavy. i have even stopped taking all the pain pills even the motron 800. just some hot flashes but the dr is taking care of that at the appt with the HRT she is going to be bumping it up a bit.

keep in touch!!! let us know everything. you are more then welcome to message me anytime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Thank you both for the replies.

Nicolahagans, It's very encouraging to hear you are shopping and cleaning house before your 2 week mark even hits! I'm hoping I recover just as quickly and feel just as good as you do.

My surgery is 1 week from tomorrow. I'm freaking out more and more as each day passes. I'm not scared of the actual surgery, I have had lots of surgeries through the years. I'm scared of the changes that will occur in my body and the "unknown".

Boodle
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:13 AM

Boodle, my heart goes out to you!

I moved to a new town shortly before my hysterectomy, and I've been often feeling alone, too. I'm a single mother of a teenager who's acting like a toddler, and I don't have any support system other than this site. Like you, I'm on my own, so I was more concerned about what would happen after the surgery than the surgery itself.

But my physical recovery so far has been much easier than I'd anticipated. Like nicolahagans, I've been able to do most housework since around day 10, except heavy duty cleaning.

I'm 48 yo and was very fit before the surgery. I think being in good physical shape definitely helps your recovery.

I wish you the best, and keep in touch.
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Thank you, floria... that's a big help to me. My husband will be here with me until day 10 and then he has to leave to go back to Iraq, so it sounds like by the time he leaves I will be pretty capable of being alone.

It sure is a big thing to go through all alone in a new town. I hope your teenager helps you out with things and makes it a little easier on you.

Boodle
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Hello! I had a belly full of 'mess' as well, and the expected small horizontal incision turned into a large vertical one, and he took everything except my right ovary, as the left one was full of endo.

I was shocked at how mobile I was after surgery. I had thought I'd be all bent over trying to walk but I was totally upright and didn't feel like I needed to clutch at my stomach. I'm 47, NOT in good shape and I'm overweight, so I have a belly on me. I wasn't rocketing around or anything but once the shaky legs calmed down, I was walking around the ward on my own.
Two weeks after surgery, bf went back to work and I was just fine on my own. Cooking and freezing food is a wnderful idea because most people lose their appetite for some time and thinking of what to make is hard when you aren't fully well.

Everyone is so different but everyone needs to be careful about lifting things, so if caring for your Mom & dogs involves lifting, you'll need to have additional help. If your recovery is going well, you may think you are ok to do things, but you will be still be healing, and it's not wise to do so.

Also, you will be tired and you will need to nap and rest, and lay flat to ease the pressure on your belly. Listen to your body.
It might be a good idea to see if you can find someone to assist you after your husband goes. Even if you discover you are ok on your own, you'll have peace of mind knowing someone else is there to lend a hand.

Your doctor will advise you on when you can work out again, but again, remember that your body needs time to heal and will still be healing even though you might feel fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register