Well its official - its all coming out! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well its official - its all coming out! Well its official - its all coming out!

Unread 08-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Well its official - its all coming out!

Ok, I finally got my test results. I have small fibroids in the uturus and a cysy on my left ovary. Since I have the cyst I have to have a TAH. I was hoping it could all be done vaginally. No such luck. Anyway, its all coming out, ovaries and cervix too. Looks like it will be sometime around the 5th or 6th of Sept. Its complicated but to try and make a long story short, we are moving out of the area by Oct 1 and I am leaving my job. So in order for my insurance to cover this I have to work at least the 4th of Sept. Insurance will then last until the end of Sept. plus that will give me 3 weeks to recover until the move. We are packing and taking stuff up now so I have a lot to do before surgery because I know I won't be worth anything afterwards. I guess its 6 weeks full recovery give or take depending on the individual right? I had both my sons vaginally so I never have been cut in the abdomen. I have a feeling I am in for a new kind of pain! Any input from anyone that has had a TAH, I would love your experience please. I know I am doing the right thing, because I have had a problem in the past with the fibroids, I had one so bad the bleeding never stopped and I was constantly passing clots and gushing to the point I was afraid to go out in public, anyone that knows what I am talking about, it really messes up your life. I had an ablation done, this was 3 yrs ago. Now I am not about to let this happen again. Its all coming out!
Thanks for listening and sorry I went on and on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Good luck with the move! I haven't had my TAH/BSO yet, but am scheduled for this Friday. I will post about my experience -- which I hope is very run-of-the-mill. I sure hate that you have to wait to have it just b/c of the insurance. But I hope everything works out great for you!!

PS: I've never been cut either... this will be my first time having any sort of surgery. A little apprehensive, but the ladies of this forum have been so helpful in calming me down.

Take care!
Unread 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Make sure you have an extra pillow and keep it over your stomach. Take little coughs. LITTLE. Press on the pillow. If you think to laugh. Press on the pillow. WHen they get you up the first time, do it slow, roll on your side, get your legs over. wait. now move the rest of you. get to a chair. enough for a bit. but, do move a bit more. Make yourself move every few hours and you will feel better sooner. first to the end of your room, then to the door of the next room. then the next until you can make it down your hallway, just you and the iv tube. you really will feel better because it will get the gas out of you faster and having your stomach bloated from the gas is yucky.

If this is the first time you are being cut and they are giving you a bikini cut, get your hair cut as short as you can take it, even if you have rapunzel locks. your hair will grow back and you will hurt to have to lift your hands over your head to wash all that hair. i had long hair for my first surgery and cut it to about 1/4" long for my second---happy girl. or, have someone come and wash your hair for you, I didn't have that option.

Good Luck, all will go well. Good Luck with your move, too. THat is tough, to have to do both at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM

I didn't have a TAH. I had a TVH. But I wanted to wish you luck anyway. And good luck with that move. It's never fun. Why does it become so stressful? I'm sure it'll be hard on you having both the surgery and the move. Do you have anyone who can help you at home? If you get too stressed remember to step back and give yourself a break. Your body is really going to need it's rest.
Unread 08-15-2007, 06:52 PM

Hi Barrel,

I had a TAH/BSO for reasons similar to yours as well as adenomyosis, and a strong family history of ovarian cancer. This procedure was my first major surgery as well. My surgery was uneventful and I came home after two days in the hospital. What I came home to was something comparable to what you'll have. We were in the middle of a home makeover. They had blown out the kitchen wall while I was in the hospital. When I got home, the contents of my kitchen cabinets had been emptied into my dining room. There were no upper cabinets, no countertops, only subflooring, and plaster dust EVERYWHERE! Fortunately my mother-in-law flew in from Florida to spend the summer with us and was ready to jump head first into getting my house back together for me. About 10 days after my surgery my new cabinets and countertops were in. At that point she sat me in a chair with my feet up, grabbed all my packing containers, and held up every pan, dish, spice, and box and asked me where to put them. I was only allowed to point, and she took care of everything. If you can arrange to have that kind of help you'll be fine. It's true that it's a minimum of six weeks recovery and rest if all goes well, but when you are finally given the green light to become more active, it has to be done slowly. Your muscles will need to build up again, and you have to be careful to do it at a reasonable pace so you don't hurt yourself. Hopefully you will have a good support system ready to carry the weight for you. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope you have a successful surgery. Try to relax when you can. The waiting is by far the worst part.

Tracy
Unread 08-15-2007, 08:18 PM

Good luck with the surgery and the move. I have cysts on both overies and my doc is planning a vaginal with me. I wonder what the difference is?
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:50 AM

I just had my TAH last month. I have never had surgery before and didn't know what to expect. It turned out to not be as bad as I thought. I had everything removed and ended up with a nice bikini cut that has healed very well. When I got home from the hospital I took it easy, but did not stay in bed all the time. My doctor told me to keep active. I was very sore for the first few weeks and was very careful when I rolled over in bed or got up from sitting. Support your abdomin with a pillow or your hand and it really helps. My doctor advised no heavy lifting over 10 pounds. I was suprised how fast the external incision healed. My internal incision was very puff and swollen until 4 weeks when I noticed the swelling had gone down significantly. I would go between sitting down for a while and walking around. I would take a nap when I felt I needed one. You'll kind of get a feeling of what you can and can't do after a few days. Good luck. Everyone is different. I fell this is the best thing I have done for myself. I feel like a new woman!

Cheri
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support. Since this morning now I am starting to debate whether or not to try and keep my one ovary. If its a healthy ovary why not keep it? Would I still get a period if I keep it? I guess I am a little bit afraid of putting myself into menopause. I am only 43 yrs old. What would should I do?
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:42 AM

Once your uterus is gone you no longer have a period. It's the lining of the uterus that is shed during a period. However, you would still produce hormones, so you wouldn't be in menopause. The ovaries do go to sleep for a little while after surgery, so you do experience som menopause symptoms temporarily. You did mention that you have ovarian cysts. This problem would continue if you keep your ovaries. It's up to you and your doctor to decide what's best for you. I had my ovaries removed because my mom died of ovarian cancer, and I just didn't want to take the risk. I'm 43 too. I've begun HRT and have had great success so far. I hope whatever you decide works out well for you.
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks for your reply Goodthoughts. I think I will do what my doc suggests. So much to think about though..

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register