Emergency hysterectomy right after having a baby. What can I expect of my recovery? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emergency hysterectomy right after having a baby. What can I expect of my recovery? Emergency hysterectomy right after having a baby. What can I expect of my recovery?

Unread 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Emergency hysterectomy right after having a baby. What can I expect of my recovery?

Hi, I'm new here.
I just had my 4th baby two weeks ago tomorrow on April 3rd.
I had an emergency hysterectomy about 9 hours after he was born because I had a prolapsed uterus and started bleeding heavily and passing massive clots.

I wasn't expecting to need surgery, obviously, so I didn't research anything about the surgery beforehand.
I am not even sure what type I had done. I do know that it was abdominally and I have an incision about 15 inches long.

My husband and my mom were home with me for the first week which was really nice. My mom went back home last Thursday and my husband went back to work this week.
I am feeling pretty good mentally and emotionally, but I'm still pretty sore and tired. I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than the baby for 6 weeks or drive for that long as well.
The OB that did my surgery told me that I should not really have much bleeding after a day or two, and that if I have more, to call.
The bleeding pretty much was light and then did stop after a few days. I have had some more bleeding the past few days or so. Not a lot though. My incision is also hurting more on one side than the other. It's not oozing or warm to the tough though and I haven't had any fevers. I called today and they said it sounds like I'm doing too much. I'm not sure what I'm doing that is too much though.

I'm resting pretty much all day, I have only left the house once last Friday to go to an appointment with the baby. I did end up going with my husband to Costco after the appointment, I just walked around but didn't push the cart or lift anything. I was really tired after that though. Two days ago I filled up our sink with dishes to soak for my husband to wash, and yesterday I went downstairs to put towels in our dryer, but I didn't carry them down there.
Other than that I've done nothing but sit and lay around the house, hold the baby, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder just how long it's going to take me to heal from this. I took a leave from work on March 10th and I'm allowed 12 weeks, so I am supposed to go back the first week in June. I'm a part time cashier at Walmart, so lots of standing, twisting, lifting, etc.
I hate relying on everyone else to do stuff for me. I'm to where I can shower and use the bathroom alone now, but I'm not cooking or doing any chores. It's so hard to watch my husband go back to work and work two jobs (he's working at Walmart too while I am on leave) and then come home and still have everything here to do.

And I'm getting lonely and stressed out being here by myself with my baby and my son (I have two daughters who are in school most of the day as well). I wish I could have my husband with me more at home, but we can't afford for him to take much more time off.
He told me he can quit Walmart earlier than planned, he is a teacher so during this summer he was going to pick up a lot of day shifts at Walmart just to get some extra for bills and such and we will definitely need that now that we will have a bigger medical bill. He said he can quit sooner and be with me every night starting when he gets home from school at 4:30. I'd love that, but realistically we need the money more and I feel like a big baby when I don't really need him to help more than he already is, it's just me feeling stressed and lonely which is stupid.

There are a bunch of things I'm worried about recovery wise.
I worry will I ever really truly feel good in my body again?
Will I ever be rid of all pain from my incision? I hear from people with abdominal incisions that even years later, they still bother them sometimes or they can't ever wear a certain type of pants, like jeans, without irritation at the incision.
I worry will I ever be ok to exercise strenuously again? From late 2011 to the end of 2012 I was really into exercising and I lost 65 lbs and felt great though I had more to lose when I got pregnant. I gained 55 lbs with the pregnancy and I hope that I can get back into my old routine one day and lose more. I worry that I won't ever be able to do the same things anymore.
I still have my cervix, my midwife told me that it could prolapse too.
The surgeon said I can do things to prevent that, like not lifting with legs apart, not sitting on the toilet longer than is necessary, not getting constipated. That makes me worry about exercise, I've done squats and such in the past with weights. I worry that exercise will make my cervix prolapse and that I'll need another surgery.
I worry about if my sex life will ever be the same again.
Will I hurt or be uncomfortable forever? Obviously we haven't tried anything yet, I'm nowhere near ready for that, but it's a concern I have. I also worry that it will take me so much longer just because I'm recovering from a natural birth at the same time. I had 2nd degree tears too. I keep hearing how a hysterectomy right after a birth is a lot more risky. It makes me feel like fragile damaged goods and like I wont ever be the same again.

Wow, sorry that is long, just had to get this all out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Re: Emergency hysterectomy right after having a baby. What can I expect of my recovery?

Hi Hericksen,

I've not been through the same experience as you but I just wanted to try and re-assure you as best as I could and hopefully make you feel a little less alone. Firstly, having a baby is a pretty major event, it's very normal to feel a bit down and lonely a couple of weeks after giving birth - the hormones are racing around, the initial excitement has worn off and husbands go back to work. Suddenly you're all alone at home with the kids. I remember feeling pretty lonely and down at this time. Add to this the trauma and stress of having an emergency hysterectomy I don't Blame you for feeling the way you do. I think you need to to be kind to yourself and allow yourself to recover physically and mentally. Just think what an amazing person you are, you've had four lovely babies, it sounds like you have a fantastic husband and when you recover from this you can get yourself back into shape and feel like a new women!
I had my Hysterectomy in mid December. I was terrified that I would not feel 'sexy' or womanly afterwards and that sex would never be the same again! But I want to tell you that our sex life is better than ever! Sorry, I know TMI! I had a vaginal hysterectomy and posterior prolapse repair, my cervix was removed and, because I had the repair, I had to be cut, the same really as an episiotomy when you give birth. It is still a bit sore where I was cut but I soon forget about that! my other concern was loosing weight after the op. My lovely mum came to look after me for 4 weeks, spoiled I know! And fed me a little too well so I put on a few Kilos. I did feel a bit despondent that this weight and the 'bloaty' belly were not shifting but 4 months post-op I now feel great. I'm back to my normal weight, tummy nearly flat! I don't feel any less of a women, in fact I feel more of a women because I'm not debilitated by constant heavy bleeding (I had fibroids). I had 6 weeks off of work, mainly because I'm a nurse and the job involves a lot of bending and lifting which would not have been a good idea. I'm glad I gave myself this time because when I did go back I felt ready and apart from a bit of aching and feeling tired I had no problems at all.
I know it must be hard for you at home not being able to do anything. Even with my mum staying I found it hard not to do things, we're naturally programmed as a wife and mother to be constantly cleaning and tidying! But if you can just give yourself a few weeks of doing nothing (apart from looking after your gorgeous baby) then you will recover much quicker. It doesn't matter if the house is a bit messy or the kids have to eat beans on toast (it's an English thing!) for a few weeks. Enjoy some time and lots of cuddles with your babies. Watch movies or some rubbish tv (think I must have seen every episode of Law and Order ever made whilst I was recovering!) read a book or make some plans for the future.
The whole exercise thing is something that's probably best discussed with a Physio or doctor. I don't think you'll feel like doing too much for a couple of months. I haven't really got back into regular exercise but that's more due to the fact that I am so busy with work and 3 kids (and I'm lazy!!) just give yourself time to recover and you'll be back to yourself in no time.
I think you sound like a pretty amazing person anyway. You're a mother to 4 kids, a wife and you work. No wonder you're finding hard to do nothing! Try not to get stressed and lonely, think of all the great things in your life and all the love you must have from your beautiful family. And forgive yourself if you're a bit grumpy or short tempered. I was an absolute b**ch to my mum and husband at times! I do feel bad now, especially as she had flown half way around the world to look after me! But it is your frustrations coming out and we always take it out on those closest to us.
Well I hope this helps a bit, let me know if you have any other worries, or just want a moan!
Much love to you.
Xx
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Re: Emergency hysterectomy right after having a baby. What can I expect of my recovery?

Wow, you are going through a lot.

I wish I had my hysterectomy the same time as my c section.

Yes it's a lot to recover from. You can do it. Do not lift anything over ten pounds.
I know it's hard, knowing how often you must pick up the baby on a daily basis.
My Husband had to work two jobs as well for awhile. It gets terribly lonely.

Rest when you can, try to ignore the dishes and mess lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2014, 06:09 PM

wow --- god bless and lots of hugs for you. If you haven't already - order the free Hystersisters - Hysterectomy Booklet "What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy"
It will give you lots of the information you are looking for. It was very helpful to me.

Keep reading, posting on this site. We are all different, having different experiences, but with one thing in common. So we are here for you.
Unread 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Thanks all of you! I just ordered that free booklet last night. I'm feeling better about things today.
One day at a time, right?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register