Spinal or General anesthesia??? help surgery is in 5 days? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal or General anesthesia??? help surgery is in 5 days? Spinal or General anesthesia??? help surgery is in 5 days?

Unread 07-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Spinal or General anesthesia??? help surgery is in 5 days?

I'm having surgery on Sat. Aug 3. And I'm not sure what way to go with the anesthesia...spinal or general. Has anyone had a spinal and can share their experiences maybe the pros and cons? I am familiar with the general, I've had it several times, but the spinal is new to me....HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2002, 10:57 PM

I have had many surgeries and had both spinal and general, have to admit that I really prefer to be totally out. I did remember too much during my spinals (very unpleasant memories).

Best of luck to you and hope you have a really nice and speedy recovery. I am 10 days post-op and have been talking to DH about going camping this week-end (he vetoed that idea), but I truly do feel well enough.

LSH 7/19
Unread 07-29-2002, 11:00 PM

thanks for the reply. I think I would agree with your DH on that camping trip. Take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2002, 03:31 AM

Hi Neluna33,

I had general anesthesia. I wasn't given an option and my surgery lasted a long time, just under 5 hours. In my case, I let everyone I talked to know that I was concerned about nausea and I was given meds in my IV to help, and thankfully I didn't experience any nausea at all after.

I've seen many women post who were able to have spinal anesthesia and were very happy with it. You can do a search by using the "Search" button at the top of the page and using "spinal anesthesia" as your keyword and you will get many threads discussing this topic.

I think the most important thing is for you to discuss this with your Dr. and anesthesiologist. If either type of anesthesia is an option for you, they will be able to discuss the pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision for you.

Best wishes and s
Unread 07-30-2002, 05:58 AM
Spinal or General Anesthesia???

Hello!

I, personally, am opting for an epidural with light sedation. One can even request that the epidural line stay in with a medication pump attached for the first 24 hours following surgery so you feel nothing during that time. The downside is, you can't get up and walk - your numb from the waist down. You are catherized though and then the next day you have to switch to oral pain killers. I, personally, never do well with general anesthesia, although it is very safe and very controlled (my brother is a nurse anesthesist). I get very combative coming out of any general or narcotics, I get nauseous and vomiting, I have days of an amnesic effect (days of my life I cannot remember) and I have even woken up in an irregular heart beat (atrial fibrillation). But that is me, every one is different. Have you had either before?

They are both safe so it really is a matter of what you feel most comfortable with. Some people do not like complete "oblivian" so they chose to be awake, alert and numb. Others say "knock me out" wake me when it's all over! I hate the "hung-over" feeling. My brother reminded me that many, many ceaserians (spelled wrong) are performed with epidural or spinals. This is a smiliar operation. I guess there is no right or wrong - it is just what you prefer and once you choose what that is, you will have a chance to talk in detail to the attending anesthesiologist who will advise, and assure you. Don't worry, it is all very controlled. Luv, Lulu "grin"
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:31 AM

I had 2 spinals with my C-sections, and a general for my hysterectomy. Actually, I prefer the general. Didnt like feeling numb after the spinal. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:43 AM
hi

I've had both and prefered the spinal. I was told that they could easily switch me over to general if the surgery was going to take longer than expected. I was leveled down with sedation and hardly remember the spinal tap or much of anything. I came out of the sedation feeling pretty good. I hated waking up from general..I was so groggy, disoriented and yucky feeling. Good luck with your surgery and decision!!! Braswell
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:49 AM
I'm doing general with epidural

HI,

My anesthesiologist says he prefers a general for many reasons. One, the patient's heart and blood pressure rates can be better controlled. Two, patients are less frightened when they know they will be out and they heal quicker because there is less stress. Three, patients move around more with the spinal, and four, if the surgery turns out to be more extensive and lengthy, it's easier on the patient when they are not aware.

The epidural (which is not the same as a spinal) is for the post op pain. I personally do not want to know anything that happens in that room. I want to be wheeled into the OR, have someone say count backwards from 100, be out before I hit 98, and wake up to the three headed nurse shouting wake up Olimpia you are doing great!

O.
Unread 07-30-2002, 07:20 AM

I have been wondering the same thing for my surgery on 8/5. I have had 2 emergency c-sections... the first was a general from the get go (had to get baby out fast), the second one the baby stabilized so the doctor said I could have a spinal... IT DIDN"T WORK - only my feet got numb and stayed that way for many hours. I ended up with a general which I thought, after the fact, was probably better because I realized that I was absolutely terrified on the OR table and it was actually a relief when I heard the OB tell the anesthesiologist to knock me out and not try the spinal again.

A friend was planning on a spinal for her vaginal hyst. She had the same thing happen (feet only got numb) so they did a general but she commented that she had alot of pain the first day because the doctor did not know how much morhpine she had actually gotten from the spinal so they didn't want to overdose her.. that sounds terrible but that is what she told me.
She daid that after that her pain control was fine.

I am going to ask my doctor what he likes and would recommend for me. I am leaning to the general for the same reason one of the other posters stated - I am not sure I want to be aware at all even though I THINK that I do (based on my c-section experience I found when I was actually in the OR my resolve to be awake was quickly overcome by FEAR when things started to not go quite right.)

Good luck. I very much want to hear a good story from you after your surgery.
Unread 07-30-2002, 07:49 AM

I've had generals before, and had my TAH with a spinal. I loved it. You can read all the details by clicking the little "www" button at the bottom of my post. Holler if you have any questions!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register