A "No Nail Polish" Rule Solution | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A "No Nail Polish" Rule Solution A "No Nail Polish" Rule Solution

Unread 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
A "No Nail Polish" Rule Solution

This morning while doing some shopping for the big day I was approached by a spa lady working one of the kiosks in the mall. She noticed I had "bare fingernails" and asked for a minute to show me how my nails could look glossy and manicured w/o polish.

She had a buffer and proceded to go to town on my ring fingernail. I am a total skeptic, but lo and behold my nail looked great when she was done. It took her about two minutes. She then put a nail moisturizing oil on my fingernail and it looked like I had just spent $25 for a salon manicure -- it shined like the Hope Diamond.

She wanted to sell me a $40 kit with the buffer and moisturizer, but I went to my local pharmacy and bought the equivalent for under $10.

I'm going to do this before my surgery date. Even if you can't use the moisturizer due to hospital policy the nails still looked amazing with just the buffer and no polish. Might be a solution for the ladies whose hospitals forbid wearing polish for surgeries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2007, 12:23 AM

this is interesting, i had my pre op today with my dr and she didnt say anything about nail polish and i forgot to ask her... since i was out and about i decided to get my toes done.. if they want the pretty french manicure off my toes then they can take it off for me.. i tried the buffer in the nail shop today and they were too yellow because of all the dark polish i use... good luck!
Unread 05-02-2007, 04:34 AM

My way of thinking on all this is do your best to comply. Meaning if you're told don't do something, don't do it. BUT if you weren't told, go ahead within reason.

I realized once I got to the hospital I had nail polish on my toes. I was close to freaking out about it. The nurse looked at them, looked at me and said 'If your dr has an issue with it, she'll have it removed'. And I took a breath. I don't know whether I was told no polish or not now but it was there when I woke up.

Best wishes to you,

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2007, 06:13 AM

I was just told no "colors" on my nails. They want to be able to see the color of your nail bed. Hopefully your french manicure will be okay

s and Best WIshes,
Kay
Unread 05-02-2007, 07:50 AM

Hey y'all! Lemon juice will help get rid of the yellow stain on your nails! Just a little trick I learned from my old manicurist!
Unread 05-02-2007, 03:21 PM

The other reason they do not want nail polish on is to check your oxygen levels with the finger probes. We used to make the patient remove all polish....the trend (not everyone is following it yet) is moving to just a couple of fingers/toes without polish. However, most people want all polish or no polish!!!
Unread 05-02-2007, 03:54 PM

I hate the maintenance of keeping up with chipped polish so I hardly wear it (only on my toes in summertime in a light shade.)

I can't see myself trying to bend over after the hyst to keep my toes nicely polished -- do I have to find a willing volunteer to do it for me?

Two days w/the buffed out nails and still even w/o the Vitamin E nail oil on. Now this is my kind of grooming -- very low maintenance!
Unread 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse83
The other reason they do not want nail polish on is to check your oxygen levels with the finger probes. We used to make the patient remove all polish....the trend (not everyone is following it yet) is moving to just a couple of fingers/toes without polish. However, most people want all polish or no polish!!!

Exactly. The reasoning behind the no polish is that some polishes will affect the sensors we use to read oxygen saturation levels, giving an innacurately high or low reading. Either way this is bad. You don't want lack of treatment or treatment you didn't need because you wanted pretty nails. I know this is a downer for some, but we do it for patient safety. At the hospital I work at and at the one I had surgery at, we're okay with painted toes, as long as you have naked fingers, but please check with your doc/pre-admission nurse.
Unread 05-02-2007, 07:09 PM

i actually called today and asked her how long the actual surgery is.. (20-30 min) seems the prep takes much longer... anyways i also asked her about the nail polish, hair product, lotions ect... she does not have a problem with any of them.. glad my 30.00 didnt go to waste...
Unread 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Hi ladies,

Pre-op instructions vary from doc to doc & castle to castle. My instructions were no color on the fingers but toes were okay. The day before my castle trip, I went & had a wonderful pedicure with color on the toes. For my manicure, I had them buff my fingers & they looked great. I complied with what the hospital asked & had nice nails, too. Make sure that you follow your orders though.

Best wishes,
Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register