Spinal Block and Anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal Block and Anesthesia Spinal Block and Anesthesia

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Spinal Block and Anesthesia

My doctor suggests a spinal block before I am put under with anesthesia. She said the pain will be less after the surgery. Has anyone had this before? I am worried about the side effects of a spinal block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Re: Spinal Block and Anesthesia

I'm worried if a spinal block hurts to do?!
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM

It's really not that bad!!!! I hate needles. So much that the needle was the only reason I wouldn't get an epidural during labor, lol! They sedated me when I got onto the operating table, and when the sedative kicked in, that's when they did the spinal block. It did not hurt at all, not one bit. The numbing medicine that they did for my IV hurt more, honestly. Then they laid me down, told me I was going to go to sleep, and that's all I remember. Not bad at all. When I woke up, it really bothered me to not be able to move my legs, but within a couple hours, for the most part, I was fine. My butt was the last to regain feeling! Which I was still able to walk around with my butt numb! It helps a lot to get control of your pain with the spinal. You can't get a morphine pump if you get the spinal for at least 24 hours. They didn't tell me that until after I woke up. I was on oral medicine the second I got into my room after recovery. I really would recommend getting it. It's not that bad at all! As far as the side effects I didn't have any. My back hurt a little where the injection was but that's been it. Some people get a headache, but a very small percentage. Good luck with your surgeries ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM

A lthough I have not had my surgery yet, still have a week to go, I have had an epidural before. And honestly, in my experience atleast, I really regret ever having it done! It has been almost 13 years since I had one and there is STILL a spot *approx 4 inches square* that I cannot let anyone touch due to an extreme "strange" feeling. Its much like someone sticking their finger in your belly button and pushing it around roughly...not painful so much as just weird. I know many many women have had a spinal block with absolutely no ill effects...I was just unfortunatly not one of them. Wanted to share my story as "something to think about" and wish you the very best of luck in your surgery and recovery
Unread 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM

When I asked my doctor about it, he told me that the epidural and spinal is so different between each other. A lot of the possible side effects are the same, but they are supposed to be less aggravating with the spinal. Don't know how true that is, or if my doctor was just wanting me to have the spinal, lol! Of course the epidural gives a constant drip and keeps a line in your back. The spinal is just an injection, and that's it. The only reason I got the spinal was because they told me it was different!
Unread 09-28-2010, 02:42 PM

I got spinal two weeks ago. Yes very different from epidural. For one, the needle is a lot smaller! I would do a spinal again in a heartbeat!
Unread 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casaderita View Post
My doctor suggests a spinal block before I am put under with anesthesia. She said the pain will be less after the surgery. Has anyone had this before? I am worried about the side effects of a spinal block.
I had the spinal block on the recommendation of the Anesthesiologist and my Dr was very happy I chose to do so as she said it makes it much better for me as a patient. The spinal block lasts anywhere between 24 & 30 hours. I also had the pain control pump for the first night. This was a great combination for me for the first 24 hours.
Unread 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM

NDHuntress-
They let you have a pump? You are so lucky, lol! They told me I couldn't have it for 24 hours after my spinal!
Unread 09-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Yeah I never got the pump either.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register