Dr said no need to bowel cleanse before vaginal hysterectomy on 4/4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr said no need to bowel cleanse before vaginal hysterectomy on 4/4 Dr said no need to bowel cleanse before vaginal hysterectomy on 4/4

Unread 03-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Dr said no need to bowel cleanse before vaginal hysterectomy on 4/4

Scheduled for vaginal hysterectomy on April 4. At least dr hopes he can remove my enlarged uterus & fibroids vaginally but plans may change one he gets in there. Since the large uterus & large posterior fibroid is causing major constipation/diarrhea. (It was never a bleeding issue.) I'm alittle concerned that he said I didn't have to do a bowel cleanse before surgery. Any of you sisters have vaginal hysterectomy due to severe pressure on rectum causing constipation? Did you not have to cleanse? And did having the hysterectomy alleviate your bowel problems? I just want to live my life not worrying about constipation/diarrhea . Thanks for any advise I can get .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Re: Dr said no need to bowel cleanse before vaginal hysterectomy

Hi, Harley 2013. Welcome to HysterSisters! Every doctor is different. I had a TLH/BSO. I had to do a bowel prep, but I know some ladies don't have to do one. My gyn didn't require one. But because I had Endometriosis on my bowels, the colorectal surgeon that assisted did require one. Be thankful that you don't have to do one! I had to do two within a month because the colorectal surgeon wanted me to have a colonoscopy pre-op. Just be sure to follow whatever pre-op instructions your doctor gives you to the letter. Otherwise, your surgery could be cancelled.

Unread 03-23-2016, 04:38 PM

Hi Harley
My doctor was very uncommital about the bowel prep too. I was surprised, especially since the main reason i was having the procedure was due to fibroids causing pressure on my rectum, and having incomplete BM on top of constipation. Since he left it up to me, I regret to say I did nothing. I feel that was a big mistake and wish I had. I've had issues since the procedure with the vaginal cuff healing, that I feel we're related to my rectum being constantly full. So starting with a clean bowel I think would have been best for me.
I had such problems after surgery, and tried suppository, laxative, colase etc...eating fiber, drinking water etc....but until my GP suggested Miralax, did I finally get relief and a more normal movement.
You can always start now with miralax...takes a few days to work..it is not supposed to be habit forming. And I wish I had listened to my gastro doctor back in 2013 when I had a colonoscopy. I was fine, but he told me to just take miralax everyday for my constipation. Of course I didn't listen, and wanted to go more natural with Metamucil....but in the end here I am.
Best wishes to you and a speedy recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2016, 05:49 PM

I had abdominal surgery and for a very different reason, but I thought I should share my lack-of bowel cleanse experience. When I arrived at the hospital, there was a nurse waiting for me with a Fleet enema. That bowel definitely did get cleansed! Just not by me at home.
Unread 03-23-2016, 06:19 PM
Dr said no need to bowel cleanse before vaginal hysterectomy on 4/4

Hi there...I'm 5 weeks RAVH and my dr. Didn't require bowl prep either. I was so relieved. I just watched what I eat days prior to my surgery. Everything was fine for me. Also, my bowls are getting back to normal now. You will have constipation after surgery, make sure you take stool softness while your on pain meds.
Unread 03-23-2016, 06:20 PM

Please read this important article:

No Bowel Cleanse Per Doctor

Please do NOT take any laxative product prior to your surgery without your doctor's constant. This is extremely important.

Drink plenty of water, eat healthy high fiber foods, walk and try to get enough sleep to prepare your body for surgery.

Most doctors will advise having stool softeners on hand for after surgery, but again, discuss your post op instructions too with your medical team.

Hugs and best of luck in your upcoming surgery.
Unread 03-23-2016, 09:10 PM

I'm having a total hysterectomy on April 4th and my doctor did request to do an enema the night before the surgery.
Unread 03-23-2016, 09:49 PM

I had a LAVH. My right ovary was huge (about 7 inches) and was resting on my bowel. I have IBS and constipation is something I have always has issues with. My doctor told me not to do a bowel cleanse. I asked him why not, and he said it helps women go to the bathroom sooner after surgery- at least in his experience. I went on the third day without much problem. I didn't change anything I ate or drank before the surgery except I stopped eating and drinking at midnight as instructed. I did just fine. After my initial recovery, I found that my constipation issues improved (did not disappear). Hopefully yours will be gone if they are caused entirely by the fibroid pushing on the bowel.
Unread 03-24-2016, 06:51 AM

I'm having a vaginal hyst. too, next week. My Dr. also doesn't require a bowel prep. I do plan on eating light the days leading up to my surgery. I also plan on asking my Dr. & the nurse at the hospital when I go for pre-op about enemas. I don't want a nurse surprising me with one when I get there for surgery day. I'd rather do it at home by myself beforehand!
Unread 03-24-2016, 01:19 PM

I also had no instructions for a bowel prep before my surgery.

Went into the hospital and I was given two enemas to administer to myself! ACK. All I can say is they are not fun!

The reason I bring this up is that if you decide to do your own bowel prep against doc's orders, you will not present to the hospital the way they expect. In my case, doing my own bowel prep may have dehydrated me too much and they may not have started fluids soon enough for my system.

So ask questions -- lots of 'em. But in the end, do what the doc says.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register