Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: Work 10 days post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: Work 10 days post op? Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: Work 10 days post op?

Unread 05-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: Work 10 days post op?

Hi Im new to this group. I have to have a hysterectomy on the 14th of June. It has come quite suddenly due to pathology reports showing AIS after having a leep and cone biopsy for Cin3. I am in the wedding industry and my question is to anyone who has had a laproscopic hysterectomy: Do you think I will be healed enough to work 10 days later? My job involves being on my feet for around 5-6 hours. No heavy lifting. My two weddings are both aware of what is going on and I have a replacement for myself should anything keep me from their wedding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Re: Work 10 days post op?

I wouldn't have been able to do that at 10 days. I couldn't even sit upright for 5 hours, much less be on my feet for 5 hours. You only have one chance to heal, is my feeling, so if you can get a replacement and be 'on call' at home if they need to talk to you, that's what I would do.
Unread 05-28-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicknack View Post
I wouldn't have been able to do that at 10 days. I couldn't even sit upright for 5 hours, much less be on my feet for 5 hours. You only have one chance to heal, is my feeling, so if you can get a replacement and be 'on call' at home if they need to talk to you, that's what I would do.
Oh wow. Thank you for sharing your experience..That is helpful to know. Did you have a laproscopic hystetectomy or tradiditional method ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2017, 05:53 AM

My procedure was done laproscopic and there was no way I could have managed being on my feet handling multiple weddings. At around 10 days out from my procedure hubby drove me to a DMV about an hour and a half from our home to get my license and vehicle tags renewed. I didn't do anything but sit and ride and was wiped out when we got home. On another day I thought I could manage going out to dinner with hubby and then a trip to Costco to get a few things. Hubby pushed the cart and put the items in for me but just the walking around Costco wiped me out. I was so exhausted when we got home and spent the next day on the couch resting trying to recuperate . That outing was maybe 3 hours total.

Everybody's experience in recovery will be different but I think you'll be pushing your healing body a bit much trying to manage 2 weddings and being on your feet for an extended period of time. That soon out from surgery your body is still needing A LOT of rest with just some short walks.

Be good to yourself and take the time to heal.

Sahana
Unread 05-28-2017, 12:08 PM

Hi. Mine as lap and I wasn't even allowed to drive for 2 weeks afterwards.

I work in an office and am off for 8 weeks. Sitting up or being on my feet for long periods is still difficult.

You have to take healing seriously. As my dr reminded me this week. It is major surgery even if it doesn't seem like it because there are just some tiny incisions.
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: Work 10 days post op?

I had an open procedure, but I can tell you there's no way I could have worked ten days later. Remember, you'll have lots of internal healing going on as this is still major surgery. As for your AIS, it's very good that you are catching things at an early stage when they are most treatable. But, I did want to let you know we also have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out, if you'd like. We cover everything there from abnormal paps through dysplasia to actual cancer and beyond, and it's a great place for support. Hugs and all good thoughts to you, (((S_mercil)))!
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mercil View Post
Hi Im new to this group. I have to have a hysterectomy on the 14th of June. It has come quite suddenly due to pathology reports showing AIS after having a leep and cone biopsy for Cin3. I am in the wedding industry and my question is to anyone who has had a laproscopic hysterectomy: Do you think I will be healed enough to work 10 days later? My job involves being on my feet for around 5-6 hours. No heavy lifting. My two weddings are both aware of what is going on and I have a replacement for myself should anything keep me from their wedding.
I have had many abdominal surgeries and I have never felt well enough by day 10 to return to work.

Also, what if something unexpected happens? Complications, injury to other organs, post op infection? Those would all influence your recovery period.
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:52 PM

I might have been able to do it, not positive though if I had to stand non stop for 5 hrs. You really adoentado know though until you see how your recovery goes.
Unread 05-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Mine was laparoscopic, but the inside incisions are there either way and those are the important ones. Gotta keep everything where it's supposed to be.

Hopefully you can arrange to have it covered so you don't have to worry about it.
Unread 05-29-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mercil View Post
I had my hysterectomy on 5/22 and tomorrow is my first day working. I'll be working from home, but still... only 1 week! Now, I would not want to be on my feet for any period of time though. I don't know how I'll feel a week from now, but I don't think you'll be able to stand that long. Can you rent a scooter and work it that way? Your body will appreciate that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register