Just finished my pre op now getting nervous!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just finished my pre op now getting nervous!! Just finished my pre op now getting nervous!!

Unread 03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Just finished my pre op now getting nervous!!

I'm just curious.. Im having a TLH on 3/23 and was told that I will have a 4-6 week recovery. Does this mean it will hurt for 4-6 weeks? Or I won't feel good for that long? Or is that just the time that I have to stay down ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Re: Just finished my pre op now getting nervous!!

I had a uterus/cervix removal on March 1st. Prior to the surgery I was convinced that 4-6 weeks meant bed ridden, constant pain and incapacitated. I had scared myself so much that before the surgery I cleaned my house from top to bottom, put everything on the first shelf so it was easy to get to and made the couch downstairs my bed because I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to get up and down the stairs to my bathroom/bedroom. It did make things easier and coming home to a clean house was nice. The first few days were painful but not unbearable when moving around. It was controlled by meds. Although I couldn't get up easily I learned to manuever by using my legs, leaning on my elbows to move - the point is you figure it out. I was not bed ridden or fatigued - just bored. So, while everyone has their own threshold for pain and everyone's recovery period is personal to them it just depends on you. I am in my second week and just got my driving privileges back. I have been walking a little each day - slow only because I don't want to overdo it just yet. I now know "recovery" does not mean "incapacitated or bed-ridden" ... we're always here for support along the way!
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitable View Post
I had a uterus/cervix removal on March 1st. Prior to the surgery I was convinced that 4-6 weeks meant bed ridden, constant pain and incapacitated. I had scared myself so much that before the surgery I cleaned my house from top to bottom, put everything on the first shelf so it was easy to get to and made the couch downstairs my bed because I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to get up and down the stairs to my bathroom/bedroom. It did make things easier and coming home to a clean house was nice. The first few days were painful but not unbearable when moving around. It was controlled by meds. Although I couldn't get up easily I learned to manuever by using my legs, leaning on my elbows to move - the point is you figure it out. I was not bed ridden or fatigued - just bored. So, while everyone has their own threshold for pain and everyone's recovery period is personal to them it just depends on you. I am in my second week and just got my driving privileges back. I have been walking a little each day - slow only because I don't want to overdo it just yet. I now know "recovery" does not mean "incapacitated or bed-ridden" ... we're always here for support along the way!
Ty Inevitable! It's funny how we think alike!! I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well! You know it's so funny, I pushed and pushed for this surgery and now that I'm a week away all these thoughts are running through my head, am I still going to feel like a woman? Am I sure I want to "give up" that part of being a woman? Will they give me the right meds? Etc etc.. Stupid things that I have allowed my crazy mind to come up with!!
I too have scrubbed my house top to bottom many times, ( I have 4 kids and 4 dogs) packed my hospital bag like a month ago, made extra meals and froze them etc. I am totally ready for this surgery., now if it would only get here and if I could only convince my mind that I'm ready! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM

By day two I was out of bed and off the drip. By day three, walking - ok, shuffling!- along the hospital corridors. I was sore and tired for about a week but certainly not bed-ridden. After that, I took it easy for a month, just got the odd twinge from time to time. Going back to work was the real test, but now, three weeks later I'm doing fine (apart from a swollen belly but that takes time to go away!). Just listen to your doctor's advice and don't do too much and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Good luck with the op! Christina
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steena View Post
By day two I was out of bed and off the drip. By day three, walking - ok, shuffling!- along the hospital corridors. I was sore and tired for about a week but certainly not bed-ridden. After that, I took it easy for a month, just got the odd twinge from time to time. Going back to work was the real test, but now, three weeks later I'm doing fine (apart from a swollen belly but that takes time to go away!). Just listen to your doctor's advice and don't do too much and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Good luck with the op! Christina
Thank you Christina for your response. I'm glad to hear your doing well!! It is so good to hear other people's stories, it certainly helps calm the nerves a bit!!
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Thanks to everyone for your perspective. My friends say the first couple weeks you are sore and slow. My surgery is Thursday....on my birthday! I have those same questions and thoughts. I just learned about the pre-op. Did any of you have to shower with iodine the day of your surgery? I need too. I look forward to the healing part. I too will be cleaning and watering the plants. All the things I don't think my hubby will think of doing. Good luck roughneckwife with your surgery and happy healing everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register