4 Days Left...Need Advice... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 Days Left...Need Advice... 4 Days Left...Need Advice...

Unread 03-18-2006, 08:30 PM
4 Days Left...Need Advice...

Hello,
Well only 4 days left...I am ready to get it over with. I have been soooooooo moody and stressed out over this..lol. I have a couple of questions...
1. What are the tests that they do pre op?
and
2. What are the most important things to take to the hospital? Also what should I take to wear home?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 08:44 PM

My pre op tests were just blood tests. They took I think 2 vials of blood and tested it. Some require chest exray and maybe EKG, but I think that depends on your age and general health.

What to take to the hospital...
Slippers that slip on; you won't want to have to bend down to get them over your heel.
Glasses if you need them. I wasn't much up for reading, but watching tv was something I did. I wasn't able to stay awake for long, but it was nice to be able to watch it.
Your IPOD or MP3 player incase your room mate listens to her tv too loud. Or to block out the noise of the nurses at night.
I was able to shower, so it was nice to have my
soap, shampoo and conditioner. I also took my
hair dryer & hairbrush.
I just went home in the clothes I wore into the hospital. When I walked around, I used another hospital gown put on backward. But it might be nice to have your robe or own pj's. I didn't have much energy, so changing into my own pj's wasn't a priority. They need to check your inscision, so if you bring them, don't plan on wearing the bottoms when in bed.
I also took my
toothbrush and toothpaste. I had a listerine spray for my bedside because it was a lot of trouble getting up to brush and I like having fresh breath.
Something I didn't take that might be nice is
note paper and pen. Just in case you want to jot down questions for your doctor.
I was not bored in the hospital, and didn't have the attention span to read or do puzzles. I did a lot of sleeping and resting. I did enjoy visitors the day after my surgery.
Someone suggested bringing
candy for your visitors and nurses. That might be a good idea.
Chapstick is also a good idea! Your lips might get dry!

Remember that anything you take should be carefully watched. Don't leave your valuables unguarded in your room if you go out for a walk. The hospital will not be responsible for any losses!
Best of luck to you, it will all go fine! Enjoy being pampered in the hospital and take it very easy when you get home!
Unread 03-18-2006, 08:45 PM

Not too sure of the tests pre-op...possibly some labs and just going over medical history. Things like that...preps for surgery...like instructions.
As for what to bring to wear home.....baggy, loose and comfortable. Either a long nightshirt with robe (and granny panties) or a big t-shirt and big, comfy jammy bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 08:54 PM

I would suggest wearing something that is button down so you don't have to pull a shirt over your head.
Hard candy, mints ect to suck on helped with the dry mouth.Trashy mags with SHORT arcticles or just looking at the pictures are good since reading was out of the question for me. Too dizzy.Socks worked better then slippers because I didn't have to keep putting them on. I just wore the socks in bed. Make sure they have tread!

I wish you well
Sirap
Unread 03-18-2006, 09:13 PM

Pre-Op tests... I had blood pressure, weight, blood tests and urine tests. I also talked to the Anesthesiologist. It was no biggie! The best thing I had at the castle was my CELL PHONE! I just wore home what I wore to check in... baggy sweatshirt and windpants!
Unread 03-18-2006, 11:49 PM

They do what is called a "21 workup", 21 different tests, iron count, white count, blood sugar, and a whole lot more. Nothing to worry about. Best thing I took to the hospital was my very special fiance!
That's all I wanted or needed!
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:51 AM

Hi Teresa My TVH is the same day! I wish you the best of luck and hope for a speedy recovery for you!!!!!
Unread 03-19-2006, 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone! You have all been so helpful. Three days left before I go to the castle and I am a nervous wreck...lol. Good luck Lvmychihuahua! Be sure to let me know how it goes. *hugs* everyone
Unread 03-19-2006, 10:18 AM

My pre-op tests were blood work, EKG, Chest X-ray and urine sample. Nothing to hard - I went at 6:30 AM and was in and out in less than 1/2 hour.

As to what to bring to hospital - I didn't use hardly any of the things I brought. I wore the hospital gown and their slippers. Besides the fact that it was easier when they checked on me I just didn't want to be bothered with anything. I was lucky my doctor put me in the Maternity ward which has all private rooms so I didn't have to put up with a roommate which was nice. I used my chapstick and toothbrush and paste but not much else to be honest. As to going home,I wore loose sweat pants and big shirt. If you have slip on shoes, use those other wise whoever brings you home will have to help you put on socks and shoes.
Unread 03-19-2006, 10:37 AM

I took a suitcase full of stuff and only used a few things.
A fanny pack to put stuff in like chapstick, brush, and mints, or gum and mp3 player or IPOD. I also used my own robe 1 time (got too hot wearing it), toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, condtioner, body wash, slippers (I used the slipper socks that the hospital gave me during surgery), and one of my word searches. I took alot more, but did not use it. If I had to do it all over again, I would have rethought a lot of things I took. My sister and her friend are also have hysterectomys within the next month, so I gave my sister my ideas and she thought they were great. If you are into reading, take a book, you may want to get interested in it. Good Luck and let us know when you are home and how you feel.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register