general anesthesia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

general anesthesia general anesthesia

Unread 05-23-2007, 04:49 AM
general anesthesia

Althea 205,
I have had GA 2 time recently since 2004, one for LAp procedure and the other for broken foot. Both went very well, no nausua and they do have a little patch if you are prone to motion sickness..get it anyway you never know.

I did have one problem with the size of the tube for the 1st GA. I had an irritated throat for a long time. I have a small throat opening due to a large thyroid(all checked out, fine ). So I asked the next aneth to use a smaller one. that went well and I told my anes for this one about it.

Enjoy the quiock nap you'll be asleep and awake before you nkow it. It goes so fast.
Seagazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 06:08 AM
general anesthesia

[b] They have such great drugs now in regards to controlling the nausea & vomitting zofran, phenergen). I know since years ago when I had surgery, I always woke up and was immediately ill (vomiting). The last 2 surgeries that I have had, I always tell the Anesthesiologist, please take extra care & give me the best you have so I won't become ill when I wake up. I was very fortunate to have this same anesthesiologist for my last 2 surgeries...and when I was doubtful that he was going to give me something that WOULD NOT make me ill when I awoke, we were kidding back/forth...he said...when you wake up, I will be the first one to see you & I bet you won't get sick...so we shook on it, since I told him, he better get an emesis container ready...because it won't be good...lol! Anyways, as he stated, he was there...I woke up, not a hint of nausea & vomiting!

Also, with the general anesthesia. You will most likely be given valium or versed, it helps you relax and you really don't care what is going on...at least that is the feeling I had. Also, with the drug versed....you don't remember anything when you wake up. The gas mask, you barely can get past a few numbers before you are out. Actually to me it is like a wonderful nap or sleep, since I rarely sleep more than 5-6 hrs per night. Best of luck to you.
Unread 05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
general anesthesia

Well . . . When I wake up from GA, I wake up swinging and swearing! I've had it several times and unfourunately, I did not get any better with practice. I've tried to rip out my IV, get up and leave, insulted all my nurses, tried to "help" the other patients in recovery by yelling at them. Not pretty. So, I am very nervous about my post-op behavior. And, really, I am a very calm and groovy lady . . . really, I swear!

I have brought this up to my DR and the admitting RN. I am also going to talk to the anathesiologist (sp?). The RN wrote in big red letters on my chart. She said some folks just wake up like that and no one would take it personally. She assured me that they will give some versed before I wake up so (hopefully) I will come around with a little more grace and peace than I have in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM
general anesthesia

I too had GA just 1 weeks ago today. Nit much I can tell you but what I remember
I had an Iv started in less then 10 min the anesthesiaologist came in gave me a shot in the iv and told me it was traveling juice. Right before we got into the Or he told me it would be bright and cold. We went thru the doors I said your right its bright and thats it... I woke up telling them I had to pee of course I didnt I had a cathater but thats what I felt like. Never got sick and did just fine.

But trust me I was so scared I had never had surgery in my life which seemed to shock a lot of doctors and nurses. sorry I'm not a sick person

---------------
TVH 5/16/07
Unread 05-23-2007, 05:13 PM
general anesthesia

A lot of people have different rections to GA. Personally, I come off GA very well. I love everyone and feel great afterwards!! But some people have a hard time, wake up cranky, and feel really lethargic. Do expect some throat pain though from being intibated while under. The tube makes your throat a bit sore and dry so drinking a lot of fluids after waking up and starting off with soft foods is definitely suggested!! What they have done to me has been different for each surgery as far as how they put me under. During my first surgery, they put me under with IV first then did everything while I was out. The next time, they gave me gas and asked me to count backwards and did my IV's while under. This time, they began my IV's while I was awake and gave me what he was oxygen but a couple of seconds after, I woke up in recovery - well from what I remember that is. lol You can request how they put you under though. And before waking you up, they give you anti-nausea meds in your IV.
Unread 05-23-2007, 07:09 PM
general anesthesia

The General Anesthesia didn't bother me at all. I was worried about it for nothing. I think the anesthesiologist would have given me something before going into the OR, but I didn't want to take anything. So I was wide awake when I went into the OR. The nurses helped me onto the table. One nurse held my hand and told me everything would be fine. Then she told me to think of something pleasant. I did. She put the mask over my face and that is all I remember until waking up in the recovery room. I wasn't sick to my stomach at all. I had crackers and ginger ale. My surgery started at 11:45am and I was in my own room by 6pm. Groggy, but feeling fine. I even ate supper. Couldn't eat all of it, but I felt fine. I was hooked up to the medication machine. I was so afraid of the GA and there wasn't anything to be afraid of. I had asked one of the drs. earlier about being sick with the GA. She said they always put something in the IV to prevent sickness. I felt fine and I know you will also.
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
general anesthesia

I had a GA and woke to a lady I know (not well) changing my pad and cleaning me up I was embarassed because I couldn't remember her name!!! All a bit hazy- just relax with it- my anaesthesiologist gave me a sedative before the GA because of my anxiety level so I didn't really panic inthe end. Sometimes GA's can make you feel a bit sick as you wake up but it passes- a sip of ice chips helps make your mouth feel better if you can stomach it. The staff watch you and keep you asleep then are there to help when you wake up- it's their job to make you feel ok and safe just tell them how you feel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register