Hyst. vs. myo. and sex? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst. vs. myo. and sex? Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

Unread 10-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

I am currently scheduled for a TA myomectomy on Oct. 23.

Although my family is complete and we do not want any more children, I elected to have the myomectomy because I was scared to death at the idea of losing my libido and negatively impacting my (and my husband's) sex life.

My question is: has anyone here had a hysterectomy, with the ovaries remaining intact, and lost their "lust for life" or been put into early menopause?

I am 38 years old and am still really torn between the hyst. (leaving the ovaries) and the myo.. The risk of losing blood flow to the ovaries and the potential of experiencing menopausal symptoms before my time has me really scared. Am I being ridiculous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

I wonder about that too! I am 42 & because of my age & that I am done having kids & the size of my fibroid (17cm), my dr (& several others) felt it was best to do the hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries & cervix. I never thought about the sexual side effects. Dr all say that fibroids can grow back so that was another concern, would I need a 2nd surgery.
Unread 10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

i had a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy, kept my ovaries/cervix and it has not affected my libido at all. i do get occasional night sweats but i'm going to be 47 soon and its probably part of perimenopause. i feel fantastic. if you think you want to have a hysterectomy, do a lot of research on the different kinds and my suggestion would be to keep anything thats healthy. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

I am 35 and (through the years) had a liver transplant and 2 c-sections...and am now having a hysterectomy on Thursday (but hopefully leaving the ovaries) I have been told libido stays the same or can even improve. My original transplant surgeon is also a close family friend he actually brought the subject up and I'm happy he did because it is a little awkward to ask questions concerning libido with some doctors.
Unread 10-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

Hi cinderama!

You're not being ridiculous at all--quite the opposite! I think exploring and exhausting options other than a hysterectomy is a wise move. You can always opt to have a hysterectomy if other options aren't successful but obviously there's no going back after a hysterectomy has been performed.

You asked:
  Quote:
anyone here had a hysterectomy, with the ovaries remaining intact, and lost their "lust for life" or been put into early menopause?
and the answer is yes, there most definitely are. Two places where you can find some of their threads are the Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy forum and also in the Natural Menopause forum.

There are no guarantees with surgery. No doctor can predict if you will or will not have problems with libido after surgery. It's very sad to me when women post with a variety of new problems post-op and say that no one told them it could happen. I feel it's better to be fully informed of the possible consequences and factor them into making this big decision.

Whatever your final decision is, we're here to support you.

s
Unread 10-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

Hi Cinderama,

I had a LSH and kept my cervix and ovaries. I am 4 yrs. post-op now and I have not gone into menopause yet. My sex life is as good as before my hyst...even better...since now I am not dealing with fibroids, heavy periods and lack of energy. My hyst gave me back my quality of life.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 10-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

Thanks to all of you for your insight and advice! I really have learned a lot.

I think I'm going to go with the myomectomy and buy myself some time before I am faced with this question again. I say that because I have resigned myself to the fact that the fibroids will probably grow back. Maybe then I can have the hyst. done laparoscopically!

Ugh! Why does everything we face come with a give-and-take, an upside and a downside? I feel like a little kid: I want it all, I want it simple and I want it now! LOL!

Thanks again sisters!
Unread 10-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

HI, Cinderama. If you don't mind me asking - do you have large or small fibroids and do you have only one or a couple of many?
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Hyst. vs. myo. and sex?

Hi cinder,

there are so many options out there - even for hysts - that it can become overwhelming, and it's not like any one of them jump out as far superior

If you have viable options, then I think it makes sense to try them first. You always have the option of a hyst down the road.

good luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register