Lapro possible? post-op products? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lapro possible? post-op products? Lapro possible? post-op products?

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Lapro possible? post-op products?

I'm a newbie. I don't even understand all the abreviations yet. I'm scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy (uterus and possibly left ovary) on 4/5/10 due to severe fibroids. Vaginal is not an option since I have never delivered but I am wondering if laproscopic is possible I've heard that it may not be, because of the fibroids; anyone have any insight? I'm seeing post-op products but didn't know they exist or what I should get, any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Re: Lapro possible? post-op products?

HI!
CLICK HERE for the abbreviations!

Im sorry to say I dont know much about having fibroids-as I had my hysterectomy for endometriosis. Im sure someone here can help you with whether or not it's possible to have a total lap hysterectomy.

As for products for post-op...I didnt really have any-but I did have a vaginal/lap hysterectomy so I only had 3 small external incisions to worry with and not a larger one. Maybe you should check out HINTS FROM MEMBERS and see what you can find there!

Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:07 PM

While every situation is different, I do know that a laparoscopic hysterectomy is possible, even with a very large uterus and fibroids -- based on my own experience. My regular gyn had doubts that my 20-week uterus and grapefruit sized fibroid could be removed laparoscopically, but she made a referral to another surgeon who was experienced in minimally-invasive surgeries. I did my own research, and found the doctor who performed my surgery. She relished the challenge. It took 5 hours, but it was done without complication and I had a remarkably smooth recovery. When in doubt, get another opinion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2010, 03:50 PM

Hi,

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH) - and I never delivered. No problem at all.

Maybe your doc has chosen to do an abdominal for another reason.

Good luck
Unread 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Hi Kawitml,

I might suggest you get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. I got two opinions myself...and it is still one of the best things I ever did.

I had a laparoscopic hyst (LSH) for two large fibroids. My 1st Dr. wanted to do an abdominal hyst (TAH) due to the size of my fibroids. My 2nd Dr. suggested a laparoscopic hyst (LSH).

I found out later that my 1st Dr. could *not* do laparoscopic hysts. Funny how she never mentioned that in our consultation!!

So ask all the questions you can...and do all the research you can. Drs give us options and we make the final decision when it comes to our bodies.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks sooo much for all the good advice. I intend to ask my doctor tomorrow about lapro and why she didn't choose it. May be a good explanation but I'd like all the facts first. Thanks again for all the help and well wishes!!!
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM

I had two fibroids and had an LSH. So, it can be done. My Dr. told me that there was very little chance that she would have to convert to a more invasive surgery.

They tend to have a good grasp, prior to surgery, on what they are looking at.
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM

I suggest a 2nd opinion if your Dr doesn't have options. Not having delivered didn't prevent me from having vag hyst. Usually there are options but some Drs only do one and say the others aren't possible but another GYN might do daVinci or other surgery as well. Good luck whatever approach they use.
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:05 PM

My doctor at first told me I would need a TAH based on the size of my uterus (16 week) and the location and size of the fibroids. I have one large one on the top of the uterus pushing down and a bigger one on the backside pushing against my spine. She felt that the size but especially the shape of it due to the fibroids was going to make the TAH necessary (and I have delivered 4 - the last were twins so it's got to be like the Holland tunnel down there).

I made my very sad boo-boo face and let her know I was very disappointed with this news. She then told me that she would not be comfortable with the procedure as she is not as proficient with the scope but one of her partners is. So, she promised to ask her. It ended up that her partner feels like we can do it laproscopically as long as they don't find any further "surprises." So, I am scheduled for LAVH on March 29 and it is my own doctor assisting her partner on the procedure.

When I went in for preop she still talked as if it was iffy as to what would happen but my husband told me he thinks this is just normal - cover the butt kind of talk so I will be prepared in case. I agree and I think it will be LAVH and that helps me go to my happy place.

If I were you I would make it clear that you would much rather go with the less invasive procedure if at all possible and see if your doctor works with someone who has more proficiency in this. If not, I would get a second opinion but do some research on which practice in your area specializes in the scope. I was prepared to go to my old practice who had several docs that do this if she didn't come back with a good answer for me. Through my research I learned that someone who is very practiced in using the scope can perform the surgery on very large uteri and very large fibroids - some stories of 20, 24 and 26 week sizes. So, it would pay to double check and make sure you are being presented with the very best options for your case.

Good luck and happy thoughts!
Unread 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM

Welcome!

All I can say is "dittos" to the sisters who have already responded. My path involved a change in surgeons to one who was experienced in the procedures. The uterus and fibroid(s) were 750 g (normal roughly 250 g). I had Lupron for 4 month prior not only to shrink the organ/fibroid but also to stabilize my blood count since it induced chemical menopause.

Having the surgical talent that is willing to think outside the box and creatively manage through your case is critical to the process.

Leverage this site and question, question, question. Remember, it is your body and your life.

Wishing your positive thoughts on your path and your recovery!

Have a wonderful time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register