shower advice?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shower advice?? shower advice??

Unread 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
shower advice??

Preparing mentally and physically for my first post-op shower at home. Had SAH four days ago...dressing removed on second day. I have sutures and a weird yellow disolvable tape. Any tips or advice? Use plastic wrap? Is it OK that I'll be alone in the house?
Good thoughts sent out for all your speedy recoveries...Thanks...Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Re: shower advice??

What did your Dr. tell you to do? I took my first shower in the hospital 17 hours after surgery, they removed the tape, I had the stitches that dissolve on their own. I just let the water run down my front, never faced the water itself. Once I got home I did the same thing, I could wash my incision, but not scrub it and then I would gently pat it dry. Also used the blowdryer on low heat to make sure it was good and dry. My hubby had to help dry me from the knee down, was too sore to bend that far, but by the second week I was fine. I would call your Dr. to clarify how you can shower and what you can & can't do. Good luck!
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Laura,
I had a TAH with staples and my doctor told me to shower the day after the surgery. My Hubby helped me use the hospital shower, as they wrapped my hand to cover the IV port, but they never covered my incision. They just told me to pat it dry, not to rub it.
Once home, I was able to shower, I just needed help in. It felt wonderful.
If you are still unsteady, make sure someone is home with you. As simple as it sounds a shower can be quite tiring. Be careful and move slow.
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 03:52 PM

I took my shower lone today. Hubby went to get the kids from school so i got in washed my. Hair withojy anyproblem.. I had lavh so my incisions are small. But i did not scrub either, and just pat dry.. I feel so much better after the shower... Yesterday hubby did help me though..
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Hi Laura! I would recommend NOT taking a shower while you're home alone. You had anesthesia and alot of surgery - you can very easily loose your balance or slip! I can't really give alot of advice on your incision as I had daVinci, but if you live alone can you at least have a family member or friend on the phone - maybe leave the phone on the counter on "speaker" just in case you have any problems?
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM

I had a TAH with a vertical incison. Was told to let the water just run over the incison and pat dry again like others i used a hair dryer to make sure it was dry. But it took all my energy to take a shower. While I had no help in the shower i did have someone one home incase i fell or had major issues like not able to get out of the tub or felt weak....

good luck on the healing
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM

My Dr. told me I can take a shower the day after surgery. I had a TAH and the incision was covered by surgical mesh and glue. In my hospital discharge instruction, it says I can shower as normal. Just pat dry the incision area after shower. So far so good.

HTH
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks Ladies!! My dr. had said I could shower in the hospital yesterday but it seemed too much for me. I had "major adhesions and scarring" which resulted in calling in an extra surgeon. When the dr. discharged me, he did not mention HOW to shower, just TO shower. But the nurse who went over the instructions did not seem confident when I questioned the need to "cover the site with a plastic bag". Office closed so will just wait til the morning to talk to the dr. Although I will definitely be subjecting my family to "speaker phone showering" complete with singing of course!!
Thanks for the responses ladies...Laura
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM

My doctor and the hospital recommended I use a shower chair. It was wonderful!!! I had a TAH and was told not to let the shower jets on mi incision. You sit on the edge of the tub then scoot onto the chair that sits in the tub. I loved it because I could sit and wash my hair which felt sooo good after laying in bed all day. I kept my towel and panties near the tub for easy access. The shower did wear me out and I had to lay down for a couple of hours. I used the shower chair for 8 weeks. No risk of fallimg when you are sitting!!! Good luck!!! (((hugs)))
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:15 PM

It seems the nurse who discharged me was actually wrong in her direction to tape a plastic bag over my incision. I spoke to my dr. today and he said just to shower normally, but don't let water hit the incision too hard. Pat dry completely. I used the hair dryer as suggested and that was so smart...
So I guess my lesson was, hey, even those in the medical field are wrong sometimes. If something doesn't sound right to you, ask again. And again. If it was reversed, and I showered uncovered when it should have been covered, I'm sure it would have been a bigger deal but the fact is that I was given wrong instructions.
Of course, the TOTAL Awesome-ness of that shower makes me forget the nurse............ Healthy recovery to all! Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register