Wondering what to do - Life without my uterus ;/ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering what to do - Life without my uterus ;/ Wondering what to do - Life without my uterus ;/

Unread 02-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Wondering what to do - Life without my uterus ;/

Hi there, I just went through a grueling 8 weeks of testing and waiting for a diagnosis. Not sure it was done the best way. I had to wait so long. My doctor cancelled my visit twice, then she went on vacation and on the way back she was snowed in somewhere. Biopsy results took over a week, I had to be scheduled in for a D & C, etc., etc. I worried the whole 8 weeks and was very teary and tense. I'll start from the beginning. January 2, had spotting for 3 - 4 hours. I am 59, 1 and a half years post menopausal. Had normal ultrasound except for 6mm uterine lining. Biopsy showed complex hyperplasia with atypia. D & C was done. Results were normal uterine lining except for one very small polyp, that didn't show up on ultrasound. Inside the polyp was the hyperplasia with just the tiniest atypia. Doctor said it was focal and all contained in polyp which was removed through hystascope. Doctor has offered three solutions.
Do nothing and repeat ultrasounds and biopsy several times a year.
Insert IUD with progesterin release.
Hysterectomy.

Knowing myself, I couldn't live with the first two and I am pretty sure I am going to get the hysterectomy. Also, I have a rectocyle which she is skilled in fixing.

I am open to opinions. I'm so unsure. In fact, if I spell anything wrong I'm sorry because I am so new at all of this. Also she told me that the pathologist said that the little atypia that was in the polyp was borderline atypia, maybe not atypia at all. This was actually my 3rd postmenopausal bleeding episode. The others occurred a few years ago but with 5mm lining and negative biopsy.

Also, it's been a week since the D & C and I am still spotting. Doctor's nurse said it could continue for 4 weeks. What is everyone's experience?

Thank you, Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Re: My future without my uterus

I am not a doctor, so I can only share my personal opinion: In my personal experience, all of the things they can do to control it were only temporary. It was back again for yet another biopsy, yet another ultrasound, yet another month of pain, yet another month of bleeding, yet another round of back on birth control (I'm in my 50's), yet another......and another......

The hysterectomy just stopped it all. I woke up, almost 9 months ago, and it was all over. It feels peaceful to not be running from one doctor's office to another, not be chasing down yet more test results, standing in line at the pharmacy for one more thing.

I did keep my ovaries and my cervix.

Recovery, for me, was super easy, peaceful, and all those scary thoughts I had before just were gone.
Unread 02-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Re: Wondering what to do - Life without my uterus ;/

Sorry to hear about the grueling 8 weeks you've been through, it sounds like an awful time.

I think you're close to answering your question for yourself And Summer2015 puts it really well when she says how one morning it all just stopped for her (post-op).

My symptoms were intense prior to my operation, can't believe I even lived like that this past year. I too was presented with options and twice I took the 'easier' options. The first was a hysteroscopy last June. But my fibroid grew back very very quickly. Then the second time (after an even longer list of options) I again chose hysteroscopy with Mirena IUD. I lost so much blood during that procedure they had to abandon AND give me a blood transfusion.

In my heart of hearts I've always known I would have a hysterectomy. It just took me a year (and 2 failed ops and a blood transfusion!) to get to that point of acceptance. And whilst I'm only 10 days post op and still in recovery (tiredness is the major symptom now), I feel so glad that I don't ever have to experience what I went through again.

Good luck...and hopefully no more vacationing doctors for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2016, 05:37 PM

Thank you to you both for responding. I feel that your stories are similar. I think if I take option 1 or 2 I will be continually back in the doctors office, getting nerve wracking tests, stressing out. I believe it is my only choice. Now I have to figure out what to do. Keep ovaries, cervix etc. It will be done in April sometime. Not looking forward to it, but I think it is the right thing. I've been in this cycle of bleeding - ultrasound - biopsy - DandC - repeat. So sick of it.
Unread 02-21-2016, 06:05 PM

I love that I don't have to figure out more options, what hormones to try next etc. It's pretty major surgery, but at least its definitive...and I'm quite enjoying all the rest I'm getting post-op. It's a rare thing for me and I'm learning so much about myself as a result!

I kept my ovaries (although they are currently fast asleep apparently!) because I'm still peri-menopausal at 51. Didn't keep my cervix or tubes though.

Good luck...the support here is phenomenal, full of wise and generous women, and will help see you through the months ahead.
Unread 02-22-2016, 06:41 AM

Your experience sounds like mine--post menopausal bleeding with small polyp. I did the ultrasound, they tried a biopsy (couldn't get a good sample as I've never had children), did the d&c and we went directly to hysterectomy a week later. Not because they found any cancer, but with the hyperplasia and my family history of cancer,the dr. didn't see any reason to wait since I had already said if it was going to be a problem, just do the hysterectomy. I had RAVH/BSO and everything went well. My recovery has been pretty smooth. I'm not doing any hormones as the gyn said I was already done with all that and I haven't had any problems there either, Just wake up way too warm some days. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 02-25-2016, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the stories. I have similar stuff happening and have had bleeding since August, have a number of ultrasounds, diagnosed with hyperplasia, had biopsy, then d&c, more ultrasounds and within a couple of months lining is back to where It started first at 28mm, now 25 mm and still bleeding. I am now opting for the hysterectomy so that I can be done with it all. Either that or continued biopsy which was recommended again. Hope that I am making the right decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register