Horror stories...why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horror stories...why? Horror stories...why?

Unread 04-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Horror stories...why?

I've received more than one e-mail telling me the horror stories of having a hysterectomy.

I am completely freaked out this morning over this, and the sad thing is I can't cancell my surgery! I'm in SEVERE pain and there is NO OTHER OPTION for me! I'm sorry that people have had awful experiences but why do they feel the need to e-mail them to someone who HAS NO OTHER OPTION?!

I'm scared to death about going in Wednesday. I've held my emotions together until this.

WHY???????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Horror stories...why?

oh fussybird
You're doing the right thing, horror stories or not. Why, just the statement that you're in severe pain with no other option shows me that no matter what, you're soon going to be getting better! I hope i said that right, what i mean is... I have been agonizing over the decision to have my hyster for 7 years. That's 7 years of constant hell periods, anemia, pain, etc. I swear, that 7 years has aged me by 15 *groans cause she's 47*. I figure, even if i hurt from the surgery, it's going to be a "healing hurt" not a "getting worse" hurt.
Please know that on Wednesday, lots of us will be sending our prayers/thoughts your way. Just hang in there, you've put up with so much now, it's time to just get it over with and be able to be yourself again!
love and hope
becki (going in on the 9th of may)
Unread 04-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Horror stories...why?

I had only heard hysterectomy horror stories when I first found out I need one also. Beside the women on this site, I have received a ton of calls and e-mails from women who have had hysterectomies all saying the same thing: it was the BEST thing they ever did and they just wish they did it sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2003, 10:13 AM
Horror stories...why?

Wow...first I'd say NO ONE has the right to intrude in your life with unwanted emails...I'm so sorry that's happened to you!!

You know what you need, and you have made the decision...I pray you can take the encouragement from here and forget about the irresponsible behavior of others...isn't doing that against the 'rules' here...but, probably those writing you are NOT from this wonderful web-site!!

You will be okay dear one!

This is exactly why having a place like this is SO important!! This is a most difficult decision...and so many are SO eager to give you reasons/opinions why this is NOT good...

Just keep reading the good stuff here, and trust that you and the Lord have 'reasoned together'! And your decision is good!!
Unread 04-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Thank you for your support.....

I'm sitting here crying, and my DH is gone to church (I'm in too much pain to sit in the pew that long).

It all came in an e-mail box I rarely use (in fact I only used it to register here). Some e-mails were supportive (thank you ladies!) but some were horror stories!

I'm sorry. I'm a mess now. I waited two years for this surgery...two years of PAIN and feeling so abnormal because I'm in my late 30's and I couldn't function in any normal way. I was either in pain, bleeding, or exhausted! I have tried EVERYTHING to get this endo under control...I even forced myself through a recovery progrma for anorexics in order to get my body healthy again. NOTHING helped me!

I'm terrified...

Who would think that it's okay to terrify a person before they have major surgery...and a surgery that they have no choice over?

It also sounded like the e-mailers had a grudge or two against the doctors that treated them or something. It was like they needed to vent about their horrible experiences.

Thank you for being here. I 'm such a mess right now and in soooooooo much pain! First I was crying about the pain I woke up with, now I'm crying about the fear I have.

Menopause can't be worse than this, lol. I'm already a mess!

Rita *sniff*
Unread 04-27-2003, 10:19 AM
Horror stories...why?

Hi,

I had my hyst 4 weeks ago and it was the best thing I have ever done. I would do it again tomorrow if I had to. I experienced horror stories too. The worst thing was that they were from people who knew me and knew how scared I was. Think of it this way if those people are that cruel, then when you are recovering and find that it was nothing you had feared it would be you can let them know how easy it was for you and how sorry you are that they had such a tough time. People that are that mean and uncaring make me really mad. Before I found this site I was terrified from all of the stories people told me. Thank goodness I found this site before I had surgery because it gave me a sense of calm before I went to the hospital. I was smiling when I woke up because all of my pain that I have had for years was finally gone!

The pain that you have had all of these years will finally be gone and you will feel like a new woman. Don't be afraid! Just think about the new life you will be starting when you wake up from surgery.

Hugs to you and you will be in my prayers!

Suzy
Unread 04-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Horror stories...why?

I just had a phonecall from a friend? to tell me that she had a dream that i had died*punch* My castle date is 12 may so this has really helped me stay calm I know you will not regret your op and so do you if you think hard about it.my thoughts will be with you Heather
Unread 04-27-2003, 10:22 AM
Thank you....

Thank you Suzy...thank you!

I need to hear that soooooo bad! I'm freaking out...it scared me so bad!

I'm trying very hard to force myself to remmber the positive stories. My closest friend's sister had this done for the same reason...she's fine now. My mother did too, and she's said it was the best thing she ever did.

I've got to focus on that, and your story.

Thank you for helping me.

Rita
Unread 04-27-2003, 10:26 AM
One more thing....

I find myself really angry as I read your post over and over again. Don't read anymore emails, just stay here and you will feel so much better. Wait til after your surgery to check those emails so that you have something to laugh about when you get home. Please, please, please don't take these things to heart. There are so many threads in here that are wonderful recovery stories. I came in a few days after I got home and even that early on posted a thread about how wonderful I felt. I have received emails from women who had surgery on the same day as I did and they were feeling great too.

Hugs,

Suzy
Unread 04-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Horror stories...why?

Oh, Heather, your friend really needs to learn how to censor herself! People say the absolutely worst things without thinking!

I find I am completely self-censoring myself. I don't watch ER anymore. I started watching a rerun of "The Practice" last night and the case had something to do with someone dying of ovarian cancer. I turned it off. I'm not talking to people who upset me and have fired a client who was putting too high expecations on me a few weeks ago. I read the post-op posts, but only the headings that indicate a positive experience post and stay away from reading about some of the problems people have post-op.

Basically, I'm just keeping myself away from information that can fill me with fear. I was on a fibroid mailing list before that was very anti-hysterectomy and it had me pretty scared. Then I read real medical journals and research and found out most of those "scare" tactic stories happen to a very, very few women.

This site is so, so wonderful: I don't know where I'd be emotionally without it, probably a complete basket-case. Stick here, read the warmth, support and the stories of real women who have had the surgery and are thrilled with the outcome.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register