pre op anxiety | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op anxiety pre op anxiety

Unread 05-22-2007, 12:22 PM
pre op anxiety

My surgery is on Friday and I am feeling a bit nervous and anxious about the whole thing. There are things that I had wanted to prepare and complete before having this surgery and have not even started them yet.
Some days I am so ready to move forward and have this all done and over and yet there are days when I still feel unsure. Is this all normal???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
pre op anxiety

Totally normal. I had trouble concentrating (well, I still do, so that might not have been nerves ). I didn't know I was going to have a TAH, I just knew I was going to have a large incision to remove a cyst. I was really nervous and I've had major surgery before.

This is a big deal, it's OK to be nervous and unsettled. Everybody here has felt the same way, I'm sure. I hope everything goes well for you and you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM
pre op anxiety

Yes, I was also a mess. In fact, onto the way to the car that morning, I almost backed out! But, a funny thing happened once I got there, I got very calm and just went into auto-pilot and everything just took care if itself. Yes, it is major surgery and not completely pleasant, but I am on the 6-week side of things and so glad I did it. I took all of my pads out of the bathroom cupboard yesterday and did a little dance!! Your surgery is much better than the alternative!

Don't worry about not getting everything done - you never will! One more thing will just replace the thing you complete! We are WOMEN, afterall.

Good luck! I am sure you will do well - just know you are NORMAL! Hang in there and I will say a prayer for you.

Blessings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
pre op anxiety

My mind was all over the place. Waiting really messed me up with this surgery.

As soon as I woke up from surgery I asked my DH if it went okay and once he told me it was alright a wave of relief came over me like I've never experienced. I actually bellowed out several explicit words to emphasize my relief the wait was over - nothing in my recovery compared to how difficult the waiting was.

The little things I didn't get done actually gave my family things to do since it was pretty quiet the first few weeks and a I slept alot.

I had moments I was unsure before but I haven't had one since the surgery.

I hope time goes quickly for you in the next few days and please take the time to pamper yourself.
Unread 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
pre op anxiety

Thank you All for your supportive responses, knowing that I am not alone in this makes all the difference in the world. Think I will take the suggested advice and treat myself to something nice..
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
pre op anxiety

Hi HAH,

I can so relate to how you are feeling! Wanted to have the house SUPER clean, because I won't be able to do it for awhile and in laws will be here, but I don't think its gonna happen.
And at this point I'm not overly concerned about it!! lol

I too have taken the advice of others and tried to pamper myself some! I go for a full body massage tomorrow!

Good luck and see you on the other side!

Kendra
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:35 PM
pre op anxiety

Hi Kendra and Hah - My surgery is tomorrow and I can tell you the freaking out is TOTALLY normal. I have given up on the house...I keep looking at the floors saying I should mop them, but on a clear liquid diet who wants to do anything!!! I wish you both the best of luck on Friday!!!!
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
pre op anxiety

Having just been there and done that, I can promise everyone here that the waiting is the worst part of it all. I was a wreck. I found out I needed a hyst way back in December but it couldn't be booked until April. I would have nightmares. I would imagine how things would be in the hospital. Even to the day that I went in for the surgery, I was ready to change my mind and felt like throwing up. But please believe me. It's not nearly as bad as our minds think it is. The nurses and drs. were wonderful. When I went into the OR, one of the nurses put a warm blanket on me and held my hand and told me everything was going to be ok. Next think I remember, I was in the Recovery room waiting to be put into my regular room.

I was able to eat that night. The nurses would bring me in ice chips, ice cream and ginger ale. I was so afraid that the anesthesia would make me sick. It didn't. They put something in it to prevent it. The first day you have the machine with the pain medication in it. It works great. The most difficult part is getting up and walking around. You will be very sore so I advice asking the nurse for pain medication first, which she will probably give you.

Honestly, the hardest part of the whole thing was the 2nd and 3rd weeks. One day I would feel good and the next day I would feel bad. It's to be expected. But PLEASE don't give up. It does go away. Lots of walking will help with the gas pains. But my pains weren't all that bad. Nothing I couldn't handle. The oral pain meds will probably make you feel sleepy. But that is fine. I did my walking while I was in the hospital but the nurses always made sure I had my pain meds every 6 hours. I was even given a prescription when I left the hospital.

Really, I'm the biggest chicken of them all. I had been worrying for months about everything under the sun. You name it, I worried about it. Just let the nurses pamper you. You will be fine. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. A lot of people helped me out when I was getting ready for my surgery. Now it's 4 weeks out and I'm starting to feel really good. Honestly, it was worth it. I'm not on HRT yet. I'm on a wait and see how I feel before I take it. I had everything taken out. The only thing they couldn't take out was my cervix, because there were too many adhesions. Other than that, things went fine. All my worries were for nothing.

Everyone is in my prayers.

Unread 05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
pre op anxiety

Why not go buy yourself a pretty nightgown, or two, or three. Oh yes, and paint your toes pink!
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
pre op anxiety

Margie123 has the right idea. I went and bought pretty, albeit rather XXL nighties for after I became "princess-fied". I was suppose to have a pedicure and never got the time. Also, the majority of us will come up with something else we just know has to be done before we go into the castle no matter how much we do and it's like a never ending battle. Cleaning and straightening do help keep your mind occupied but I highly recommend shopping therapy. I seemed to be more freaked out the more I was home and was calmer when I was out and about.
You will do just fine I'm sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register