Advice, PLEASE??? Re: travel and blood donation and big belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice, PLEASE??? Re: travel and blood donation and big belly Advice, PLEASE??? Re: travel and blood donation and big belly

Unread 05-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Advice, PLEASE??? Re: travel and blood donation and big belly

Hi to all who know better. I have "multiple fibroids" that started out as one "plum-sized" fibroid about a yr and a half ago. My doc is typically conservative but said that now there are multiple fibroids that grew "a lot" - to at least a 3 month pregnancy size. I will have an abdominal hyster on June 27. I live in PA and my sister invited me to a beach house in Myrtle beach on July 06.

Is it reasonable to expect me to either fly or drive 9 days after an abdom hyster? (I KNOW that this is not to take place of medical advice - TRUST me, I'll ask my doc, but I really trust people who have gone through this the most....)

Also, I will be giving blood (to have on hand for my own surgery, just in case...) I was given an appt 3 days prior to my surgery for the physical, etc and to give my blood for the surgery. I read online that if you give blood for your own surgery, it is best to do it weeks prior to the surgery. Again, I'll ask my doc but has anyone else had this experience? When did you do it and how did you do???

Will this big belly go down at all???? My doc said no.... It feels sooo heavy and "in the way"....

Thanks a bunch!!! I LOVE this site!!! It's invaluable...

kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2003, 04:47 PM

Hi kathy

I'll share my experience with you. I had LAVH/BSO and there was no way I could have traveled at 9 days post-op. I was not cleared to drive for the first two weeks. I had my first "social outing" at 3 weeks----an outdoor BBQ at some near by friends, and after a few hours I was exhausted. There was a hystersister on these boards last year who traveled at just a few weeks post-op (family emergency)---she wound up being hospitalized with significant post-op complications. Please do discuss this issue with your doctor.

As far as giving blood. I was told to give it two weeks prior to my surgery in order for my hemoglobin to build back up. Giving blood does deplete your red blood cells, and you want them to be at normal levels when you go in for surgery. The donation itself went well. I made sure to eat a good meal before going in and drank lots of fluids.

Everyone is different when it comes to the "swelly-belly" I never had much problem with it. My uterus was about 11 week size. It is "flatter" now with my uterus being gone.

Hope some of this helps. Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-08-2003, 08:58 AM

thanks for the info. just called about the blood donation and they scheduled it for few weeks prior to surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Hi Kathy,

To be honest, I don't think it would be possible to travel 9 days after abdominal surgery. At 9 days post-op, you may still be very tired, still under the influence of pain meds and anesthesia, and still in a bit of pain. At that stage, sitting is an activity that should be limited to no more than 20 to 25 minutes at a time, as it puts stress on your internal sutures. In addition, there is a lot of bumping and jostling when embarking and disembarking the plane, and you might get bumped pretty hard. And just the thoughts of having a seat belt across a tummy incision and then going through air turbulance is enough to make me shudder!!

If you rode in a car instead of flying (most Princess aren't released to drive until about 2 weeks post-op), you'll feel every bump and every stop on the trip. After my TAH last May, I started going out to lunch with my Mom at two-weeks post-op. It was only a short drive of a couple of blocks, but it felt like my innards were going to go flying out everytime Mom hit the brakes, and bumps were even worse!!

I just returned from a trip to Florida from Tennessee a few weeks ago, and I was sore and exhausted by the time I got home. And I'm almost a year post-op. I think it might be do-able at four to six weeks, if you're careful, but not at nine days!

In regards to the tummy, you may notice an improvement, but then you may also have swelly belly after surgery for awhile (weeks to months!) But keep in mind, swelly belly is temporary, so eventually, you may have a flatter tummy.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:08 AM

Thanks SO much for the info and the reality check!!! I just told my sister this morning (after reading some postings on this site!) that traveling seems unrealistic. Wow, people don't realize that this recovery is a slow, gradual process (most of all, me!). I live alone but my daughters plan to come over at first to help me out. May I ask when people feel like they can navigate (around the house - not doing work or lifting) without needing help??

I LOVE this site! Thanks so very much!!

kathy

TAH scheduled for 6/27 for multiple fibroids causing horrendous periods and urinary problems...
Unread 05-08-2003, 02:20 PM

Hi, I also have multiple fibroids. My uterous is also the size of being 3 months pregnant and I have very very frequent urination problems. My surgery is scheduled for May 15. I haven't had much time to plan as it was only scheduled May 1. My doctor had a cancellation on the 15th and worked me in because I have a planned week at the beach July 4th week. I am also concerned about traveling. I don't want the trip to be miserable for me. Fortunately, I am able to take off work for approximately 8 weeks. I will return to work after my beach trip and two weeks later I have to attend a conference in San Francisco. I just don't want to overdo it! I will be 38 the end of May. Do my trips sound unreasonable?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register