Question: Why do all our doctors opinions vary so much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question: Why do all our doctors opinions vary so much? Question: Why do all our doctors opinions vary so much?

Unread 06-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Question: Why do all our doctors opinions vary so much?

Hi ladies!
I have read probably a zillion posts since my surgery 6 weeks ago and this site has helped me tremendously.
I just notice though how all of our doctors vary in how they treat us post-op...quite a bit actually.
One example : my dr said I should not bleed at all once I got home from the castle... and she was right.. I haven't ( thank goodness! ) and other drs for you other ladies say its normal. Now I understand I had an abdominal hysterectomy and alot of women have vaginal hysterectomies so that could be part of the reason right there. Then another example is I was still having quite a bit of pain at 2 weeks post-op and my pain pills ran out.. my dr pretty much refused to refill my pills... said to take Ibuprophen... which I did and I ended up being glad I wasn't given anymore. Then some of the ladies here there drs give them pain pills far past the time other drs would. Also the insomnia issue.. I told my dr I had horrible insomnia and never once said she would prescribe me any sleep aids at all ( which again I was glad for because yes I may lose some sleep but I don't like having to take pills to do what my body should do naturally) so for the insomnia I decided to take matters into my own hands and decided no matter what time I was finally able to fall alseep I would get up at 8 am every morning, Monday thru Friday and go out and take a nice walk. I started with 30 mins each day and now I am up to an hour a day. And "POOF" I can sleep now! yippee.
Now please ladies don't think I am putting you or your drs down for prescribing you extra pain pills or sleep aids... each person is different and we do what we need to do. It just hit me as odd that all these drs that are all operating on us have such different views... one more is sex. Some say ok to go for it a few weeks post op and some say wait for quite awhile... months sometimes.

Am I naive or does anyone think this is a little interesting too?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2006, 11:32 AM

I have wondered about this too but put it down partly to US/UK differences.
The ones I had particularly noticed were differences in whether you could climb the stairs and today I found a post by someone whose dr wouldn't let her have a bath for 6 weeks!!! I found my bath really good for the aching belly.
However, I think some differences are because the dr is aware of the individual needs of their patient - our different surgeries, ages fitness etc...
My dr said there are fashions and trends with hysts - for example in UK now the trend is to take the cervix (he did give me all the options). I expect some doctors keep up with trends and some stick with what they think has always worked best.
It's hard because I like to decide for myself what to do and for the last 7 weeks I've felt I had to do exactly what my dr said. He must have been ok - everything healed well
What do other people think?
Unread 06-28-2006, 11:45 AM

As each of us are unique individuals, so are each of our doctors. Just as we form our own opinions based on experience, so do they. They are not all trained in the same medical schools or by the same professors, and they all have different patients.

Your doctor knows exactly what s/he did during surgery, so they are the usually the best ones to know what you should expect during recovery. Of course some of us like to make sure we come up with unexpected complications just to catch everyone off guard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2006, 12:49 PM

I just think all dr have their own opinions. As dh and I say opinions are like noses everyone has one some big some small. All in all though the dr knows what they have done in there, and probably has done alot of them so they should know the best way for us to heal. But I did notice the differences in what some sister were able to do after having the same surgery. I was very jealous of the ones who could take a bath when I could only take a shower for 6 weeks. A hot bath does wonders and I actually begged the dr at my 2 week and 4 week check up to let me take a sit down bath. I used the excuse that I needed to shave my legs. His reply was that I can shave in the shower also. So my atempt failed..LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register