TAH Itchy Scratchy!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Itchy Scratchy!!! Itchy Scratchy!!!

Unread 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Itchy Scratchy!!!

Ok ladies...I am 11 days post-op TAH, with the exception that they left my right ovary. I have a LOT of abdominal itching. NOT on my bikini-cut incision, but the skin just above it all the way up to my belly button. What is this from and what can I do to soothe it? I am not doing anything new, not using new soap and avoiding lotions. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Re: Itchy Scratchy!!!

does scratching it help? I am itchy in the same area and scratching doesnt help its like its my insides itching as they are healing
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickibear View Post
does scratching it help? I am itchy in the same area and scratching doesnt help its like its my insides itching as they are healing
Nickibear: scratching only helps mine temporarily. It's definately a surface/skin itch. Sounds like yours is inside stitches/healing process? I have heard about an itchy feeling INSIDE similar to yours, but not on the skin like I am having??? Strange :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM

I also had the itchy feeling and I called the doctor to see if i could put anything on it and the said cortizone cream would be fine (not on the incision until completely closed). I think it was mainly dry skin from the antiseptic they rubbed on during surgery. Mine was also peeling and chaffing really bad. I hope you get some relief cause it about drove me insane. Cocoa butter oil also helped
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:50 PM

My Dr told me today it can be from the narcotic pain killers. I stopped mine over the weekend and he itching has gotten better...but my skin is very dry. I found a coco butter balm that has helped.
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyst0211 View Post
I also had the itchy feeling and I called the doctor to see if i could put anything on it and the said cortizone cream would be fine (not on the incision until completely closed). I think it was mainly dry skin from the antiseptic they rubbed on during surgery. Mine was also peeling and chaffing really bad. I hope you get some relief cause it about drove me insane. Cocoa butter oil also helped
Thank you SO much for the feedback!! I will try the cortizone like you suggested! Yes, it is driving me CRAZY!!! Even in the middle of the night I wake up itching! Thanks again, I am looking forward to relief
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:04 PM

When my itching was at it's worst I got under about 4 blankets and put an ice pack on my abdomen. IT helped a lot.
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:26 AM

Ice packs and Benedryl. :-) that is what helped mine
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips! It's much appreciated! This is why I love this site so much

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register