Post partial hysterectomy AND...thyroidectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post partial hysterectomy AND...thyroidectomy Post partial hysterectomy AND...thyroidectomy

Unread 06-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Post partial hysterectomy AND...thyroidectomy

Hello Sisters! I am new to the forum, I must admit I have never done anything like this before ,I'm generally a pretty private person. I love that women can encourage and empower each other, I cant handle it on my own anymore, I need some HELP! LBVS, I had a partial hysterectomy last August 2014, a month later I had to have a thyroidectomy and currently taking Levothyroxine, I have notice a GREAT change in my personality, I've become moody, depressed, anxious, not wanting to be bothered or be a bother, I am a fun loving, jovial, I have now become the opposite. I went to the doc. to inquire about the personality change, he mentioned my hyst and thyroid surgery blew my hormones completely off the "radar" and prescribed an anti depressant. I don't want to take it, I've been working out more, that makes me feel much better. I've also researched certain types of Bipolar symptoms that can occur after surgery- Is any of this familiar to anyone? Help! I don't want to lose my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Re: Post partial hysterectomy AND...thyroidectomy

: I'm sorry you are feeling so off. It looks like you kept your ovaries, but perhaps they are not doing so well? Has your Dr checked your hormone levels, to assess whether some HRT might help? I suffered from depression for years and adamantly refused antidepressants. Finally I exhausted my options and tried them. It was disappointing to find I was one of those in the minority who had to try different ones to find an effective one, but when I did, it was life changing. It was like a cloud lifted, and I regret wasting those years suffering as I did. If the problem is hormonal, I would try a hormonal approach first. But if that's not it, or doesn't work, it might be worth revisiting your decision re antidepressants. I do believe it helps to have an experienced prescriber, like a mental health professional, prescribe them, vs a GYN or GP. I know what it's like to have changes like you describe, although my situation was different. I hope you are able to find balance soon.
Unread 06-19-2015, 09:51 AM

Thank you. Im glad to hear you are feeling better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Hi admin2,
I know exactly what you are describing. I had a thyroidectomy 3 years ago (thyroid cancer). Prior to my surgery I had not experienced depression or a feeling of not caring about anything or anyone. I have an amazing family husband and four grown children, I love them, but at the same time I just didn't care. Such a strange feeling, I also had a feeling of impending doom, as though something bad was going to happen. My husband works in healthcare, he was concerned about me, we went to the doctor together, it took me three times going back before I agreed to an anti depressant. I took the drug for a month, I have to admit it brought me out of my stupor immediatley! Instead of staying on the drug though I changed to an over the counter supplement called Rhodiola Rosea. I had side effects like yawining, along with lack of orgasims on the anti depressant, this is why I quit taking it.
I changed my thyroid meds to Tirosent 100mcg, it's a gel cap. She also added 5mcg of Cytomel, I take the Cytomel later in the day, it gives me a boost of energy. The Tirosent gel cap has no additives and this helps, I was getting rashes along with a lot of belching when I was on the pill levothyroxine. I hope you have some relief. When I don't take the Cytomel I feel a little down, I notice it makes a big difference for me. The Rhodiola has helped me also, I take it twice a day. Research the Rhodiola and talk with your doctor before taking anything. It does get better.
Unread 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I am going to research it further. I have to see my Dr. next Thursday. Have a wonderful day
Unread 06-19-2015, 11:35 AM

You had your thyroidectomy in September 2014, so that would be about nine months ago. Has your doc checked your TSH levels to make sure that your levothyroxine dose is still correct and doesn't need adjustment?

Also, are you taking the levothyroxine properly, i.e. on an empty stomach and *not* at the same time as calcium or iron supplements? Calcium, iron and other substances can block your body's absorption of the levothyroxine.

I'm on levothyroxine myself, have been for something like 13-14 years now due to subclinical hypothyroidism. Both sides of my family tend to have thyroid issues. Both sides of my family *also* tend to have issues with depression. I struggled with low-level depression on my own for years before I hit a really bad episode and sought professional help. The doc put me on an SSRI (citalopram) and wow! Within two weeks, I was noticing small changes, although it took about six months to get the full effect.

In my case the side effects were minor. One was that I was still pre-menopausal at the time. Mood swings the week before had always been my signal to get the pads ready for the next week. Suddenly, my "signal" went away! I can't say I was too upset.

I found I needed a bit more sleep and also - this is a weird one - my existing tendency to motion sickness got a bit more pronounced. For me, all of this was tolerable and well worth the benefits.

I've been on citalopram 16 years now. It doesn't solve all my issues, but it gives me some psychological solid ground to stand on so that I can solve them myself. I combine them with behavioural stuff. As you've noticed, exercise lifts your mood. :-) For me, both exercise and outdoor time are really important for managing my depression. And I've become more outspoken about refusing to get into situations that are going to cause me more stress than anyone else involved.

Anti-depressants are *not* a panacea, but for me, they've worked well.
Unread 06-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Thank you! you hit some key points regarding being outspoken and refusing stressful situations. I too have become extremely outspoken in terms of protecting my feelings and choosing my battles, I have noticed since the surgery, I've learned more about myself, what i will and will not accept in my life. (i like that feeling) I have always been a person who requires at least 8 hrs for sleep/rest but it feels like NOW i HAVE to get sleep. I see my doctor Thursday, I'm going to address my concerns and get some positive results. Thanks again for the wealth of info.
Unread 06-19-2015, 12:45 PM

Oh and YES! I am taking my Levo same time everyday. No iron or calcium tabs. I do take Losartan for blood pressure, and both are safe to take (not together) Thx again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register