Vent - Placed in Maternity Ward | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vent - Placed in Maternity Ward Vent - Placed in Maternity Ward

Unread 08-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Vent - Placed in Maternity Ward

I was going to try to not vent about this, but it is still on my mind days later.

My dr knew that I was looking forward to getting rid of the constant pain but that I had put off the hysterectomy for many years because I really wanted children...and the whole pregnancy experience.

What floor was I on when I woke up from my hysterectomy? THE MATERNITY WARD!!! Every time I walked, I'd be walking by happy families about to welcome a new child into their family or rooms where I could hear the babies. Plus, regularly getting told by my nurses that they didn't know much about hysterectomies because they mainly deal with labor and delivery.

I love babies and normally enjoy being around them...but couldn't they have been a bit more sensitive to the fact that I'd just given up my ability to have babies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Re: Vent - Placed in Maternity Ward

I am sorry that you had to go through that experience and I can imagine it was very difficult for you. Your doctor must have been a man, and when you go back for you post-op visit, I would reveal in the fact that you gave him a piece of your mind for doing that to you. However, if your doctor is an insensitive female, I still give her a piece of mind too. God bless you and you have every right to vent about this.
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:29 PM

I hear ya! In 1990 at 22 I had a ruptured ectopic and they found a tumor while they were "in" there.....I was notified that I would never have another child (I have one 21) and woke up in the maternity ward too! OMG I was devastated! These doctors should be more sensitive than to do that to us!!! I am so sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 11:00 PM

Bless your heart. I can't believe the doc/hospital could be so insensitive. I guess that's why I was so intent on going home same day and not having a hospital stay. I would have freaked out if I was put in Maternity. Even though years ago I made peace (as much as one can) with the fact that biological children were not in my future, I still held out hope that a miracle would occur and I might get pregnant. I put off the surgery for many years in hopes that the miracle pregnancy would occur. It didn't. I completely empathize with you, and know what you felt like waking up in maternity. I agree that you should let your doc know just how traumatic it was, and make sure he/she "gets it". I wish you the best and hope the rest of your recovery goes well. Sending hugs your way.
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:33 PM

I'm so sorry, Brenda. I would have been devastated and very, very mad in that situation. Thank you for sharing your experience...it helped me.

I think I will follow your suggestions to let my dr know this was not ok. I don't know if he knew where I would be placed, but still...

I suspect I'm hurting so much more after this surgery because I got up so much while I was in the hospital. I'd be gone for 40 minutes because I just needed out of that environment (and I had convinced myself wall the walking was a good thing). I've actually seriously thought of asking my DF to bring me a bowl to pee in because any movement brings on really strong pain. My poor dog is even freaked out now. I cried this morning when DF helped me to the restroom. She's still staying where she can watch me, but for most of the day she refused to come close to me. Finally, a little bit ago, she crawled up on the sectional by my feet. that was after an extended period of bacon bribery.

Whoops, guess I wasn't done venting yet!
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:29 AM

I know what your saying, I woke up on the floor with all the sick babies and children, all night long for 3 long nights I heard crying. It was horrible. I dont know why they do that. I too was told a long time ago that I could not have any mor babies. I had to have my tubes tied, the doctor told me that if I ever got pregnant again to dig a hole and lay in it cause it would kill me, so of course I opted for the tubal. (I had post pardom cardiomyopthy). But waking up on the sick kids floor was a total bummer.
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:27 AM

I was on the maternity ward as well. I think that's the norm.... I completely understand your concerns though. I would have been very upset myself given those circumstances. I was just happy to have all female Nurses.
Unread 08-29-2009, 09:22 AM

I've read about quite a few people ending up on the maternity ward. I'm not sure it would've really bothered me but I can see where it could be quite emotional for some people and I agree that it should be a consideration. I was on the surgical ward and other than it being crazy, busy, I was very pleased. I did have both male and female nurses but they were all fantastic.
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM

I was given the choice preop. They asked me if it would bother me, and if it did that they could place me somewhere else. I am so sorry that this happened to you.
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM

I am sorry you had to go through that experience. I think the lesson here for all the future is to mention it to your BEFORE your surgery. Tell the Dr you do not want to be in the maternity ward. I was fortunate to be able to have my children (they are all grown), and I had no problem with having the hysterectomy. However, I did not want to be in the maternity ward. Not because I was "upset" about not having more children (I wasn't having anymore anyway), but rather because I wanted to be on a "quiet" floor. Sometimes we are not vocal enough in our wishes and therefore, we just end up where they put us.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register