Endometrial Biopsy (2015) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Biopsy (2015) Endometrial Biopsy (2015)

Unread 10-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Endometrial Biopsy (2015)

I am postmenopausal, 66 years old, and I had a "surprise" endo biopsy sprung on me after a transvaginal u/s showed a complex mass. Let me mention I really like my new doctor I found after having just moved here. I have been through childbirth, spinals and 2 c-sections. Maybe I've forgotten the pain of those procedures over time to some extent, but for me this was the most excrutiatingly painful procedure I've ever had to endure! I kept wanting to make her stop, but I didn't want to have to start over. My fists were flailing around out of desperation and pain and I was crying and moaning! I was a complete baby! I never want to go through that again! It was finally over, and I just had mild cramping and spotting for a day afterward. But if there ever is a next time, I'm going to have to tell the doctor I need meds to prepare for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2015, 08:20 PM

I had a doctor "surprise" me with this, after no abnormal paps or family history of cancer. I had no warning or indication of the severity of this procedure. This was truly the most painful experience of my life! I bled for days - medium flow and had pain after 10 days (and still counting). I would never recommend this be considered without anisthetic and I would strongly recommend having this done in the hospital.
Unread 03-22-2016, 04:43 PM

I went in for a cervical biopsy following a low grade abnormal pap result. I am an extremely young, healthy, and fit 47 year old woman with very regular and normal periods with no uterine abnormalities or risk factors. I felt very happy going in as an empowered woman taking control of her own health with preventative measures, and really welcomed the cervical biopsy as a blessing. I even fast forwarded to the doctor calling me with the biopsy result, sort of imagining in my head my reaction... and felt very confident with this. So I arrived to my appointment, my usual happy self. As the doctor was preparing to perform this procedure, she suggested that I have the uterine biopsy as well. She had never mentioned this before, so I was caught off guard and had no time to even research what this was and how invasive it was. I asked her as many questions as I could think of, even suggesting to her that it sounded like something very invasive. The answers she gave me did not reflect or indicate that it would be painful at all, just a little cramping, and she believed it was necessary. I asked her about damage from the procedure, and about recovery... and she still explained that it was simple, wasn't painful, and I would be a little crampy for the few hours after having it done. I reluctantly signed the form regarding the risk factors (as I was sitting half-naked on the table), asked her again about the risk factors - to which she responded with an explanation of only very rarely are there any women who suffer. I am very good with any and all procedures always, never had a problem. I've of course also been through childbirth. I had absolutely no indication of what was about to happen to me. I am mentally and emotionally very healthy and happy, willing to take on anything in life. This I was not worried about because not only was it a "surprise" biopsy, so I didn't have any time to think about it or research it, but the doctor acted as though it were routine like a pap, and never gave me the idea that there would be pain. So I lay on the table still happy and looking at the ceiling thinking about what I'll be doing the rest of the day... all the while she was doing the cervical biopsy - no big deal, no worries. She then told me she was moving on to do the uterine biopsy, and moments later... HOLY HELL!!! I was being raped by a rotation of razor blades (at least that's what it felt like)! I yelled out as I've never in my life experienced anything like this... the excruciating pain was off the charts and I immediately started crying and yelling. It seemed to go on forever. Finally done, only for her to tell me she needed to do it again! I was still crying, then here it goes again... the most torturous, invasive horror made me yell out again... the stuff nightmares are made of! It ended, and I could not stop crying. In no way was I prepared for anything like that. A wave of trauma set in quickly as my mind could not catch up with what just happened. I am that happy person who works out every day and dances in her kitchen and loves life always! What just happened to me? I sat up, the doctor and nurse left the room so I could get dressed - I was so shaken, I could barely function - but managed to get dressed and sit in the chair while waiting for the doctor to return. I still could not stop crying. She finally came back in, sat down, and told me that I would only cramp that afternoon, as well as have some discharge. That's it. Really? Really? No explanation of what just happened to me? I was beside myself with grief. I was shaking as I found my way down the hall to leave. I put my sunglasses on immediately before entering my way into the rest of the building to make my way outside so no one would see how shattered I was and crying. I got outside to my car and quite literally felt as if I had just been assaulted in a most brutal fashion. I just had to make it home. I had a 30 -40 minute drive ahead of me, which seemed like one of the biggest challenges of my life. I cried with primal intent the entire drive home. I got home, and immediately took ibuprofen with codeine that I happen to have in my cabinet. I was in shock, hurting, upset, and severely traumatized. How could this happen to me? I felt as if the person I was before walking in for my cervical biopsy that day only to end up having another brutal procedure, was no longer there. That made me so sad. How could I let this happen? Was it my fault? Was it the doctor's fault? Went to bed that night, and kept waking up crying and upset. The next day upon waking, of course the pain was still there and I was so bloated I looked pregnant. This made it difficult to try to feel better about what happened, as now I feel betrayed as though I was misled, lied to, and pressured into an unplanned procedure that I was not prepared for. I called the doctor on call since it was Saturday, and she said that she's never heard of this before, and I must be a very rare case... she suggested my bloating is from crying, and really tried to diminish what was happening to me. I suffered through with no improvement for the entire weekend, taking a lot of pain medication (I am one who likes to live life without meds)... the crying continued day and night, as well as the waking in the middle of the night getting on the computer to research the reality of this procedure and what is going on with my body now. By Monday morning, I was now not only upset, crying, and traumatized, but really mad. I went to my usual early morning workout, thinking that would kickstart me back to my normal happy self, but all I wanted to do was cry the whole time - I didn't feel amazing and awesome from it like I usually do. A fertility doctor in my class told me that she always prepares her patients ahead of time if they require this procedure, and informs them that the pain can be excruciating and will possibly leave them on the floor crying afterward. She said it's not my fault... it's my doctor's fault, and gave me a big hug, and apologized that I had to go through that. I called and spoke with my doctor after I got home, and asked her why and how this happened to me - she said it certainly isn't usual, and apologized for not properly informing me before doing it. She suggested I come in so she could examine me... screw that! If anyone ever tries touching me again, I don't know what will happen. I told her there is no way. I put my trust in her, and was betrayed on a level of epic proportions. I asked her if my usually like-clockwork periods are going to be messed up now, and she told me that they may be off for a couple of months. She said she my pain and bloating would pass, and that she would call me the following morning to check on me... which she did, but only kept urging me to come in. I once again said I still have cramping and bloating, and cried throughout my time on the phone with her. Each day that goes by I try to make sense of this, why it happened the way it did, whether it was actually even necessary for me, and what action I may be able to take to prevent it from happening to any woman ever again. We do not live in the dark ages... this is unacceptable. Tomorrow is Wednesday, nothing has changed... still bloating and cramps. My doctor is supposed to call me with the biopsy results maybe by the end of the week. I almost don't even care anymore, as I know for a fact that this uterine biopsy was unnecessary, so I know there is nothing there. The cervical biopsy is the reason I went, so yes, I want to know the result, but I certainly no longer have the same healthy and confident attitude I had going in. I urge any woman whose doctor tries to push the endometrial biopsy upon them in an unplanned manner, to say NO! Rather, if it is deemed necessary, please, please, by all means, for your own sake, take a week to prepare yourself before going through with it, and make arrangements for some kind of pain management. This will allow a bit of time as well to do your research to do a reality check on this barbaric procedure and the sheer brutality of it. This week could change your life. I am hoping that one day I will stop feeling the burning cramps and bloating, and that I may become myself again. In the mean time, every day it's a matter of getting through each day and going through the motions to get by. My wish for every other woman out there who has experienced this tremendous horror, please know you are not the only one, and know that I send out my love and sympathy to each and every one of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2016, 01:00 PM

I went in 4 days ago for my biopsy amd my dr could not even get the tool into my cervix because it was so hard like concrete she said. I was in so much pain I almost passed out from the pain and I am still in a world of pain. I truly hope your experience is better than mine!! I have to go back again on Wednesday...
Unread 04-30-2016, 01:16 PM

Mine was very quick and easy. Pain was about 10 seconds.
Unread 06-20-2018, 09:08 PM
Re: Endometrial Biopsy

Dear NeverAgain #3: how are you 2 years later. I had my first endometrial biopsy yesterday, and am still crying but not from pain. I just can’t stop crying. I feel like my soul was traumatized, my very soul. I will have to do some serious praying about that. It was horrible, I cried out, through every step. I’m in my 50’s, never done more than petting so no vaginal intercourse, so no kids, abortions, nothing in or out of my cervix except Pap smears. My doctor said that my cervix was very tight and that she thought that she may have only gotten endocervical not endometrial/uterine tissue. She says she may need to do it again. The pain was still shocking in a way I did not know existed, so I cannot even imagine what would have happened it she really got in enough, though I think she did get some uterine tissue. I won’t go through it again, ever, ever without a paracervical block or other proper anesthesia. Over 30% of women who go through it experience amazingly bad pain. This cannot continue!! I would almost say that every female gyn should go through it, but I would not wish this experience physically or spiritually on anyone, ever.
Unread 06-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Re: Endometrial Biopsy

OK, I truly believe that an endometrial biopsy should be done via D&C and under general anesthetic. I had a D&C done to find out why my endometrial lining was 16mm thick and to find out what the pathology was. Prior to this, I had a transvaginal ultrasound which found the thickening. Now I live in Melbourne, Australia and if you have any invasive procedure, you are told that they must stop at any time at your request otherwise it is assault. I was uncomfortable during my ultrasound, but not to the point where I requested the technician to stop.

The type of biopsy they do in the doctors room, where they have to penetrate the cervix is unreliable as they only get a small sample. It is also extremely painful. I was not even offered this. I was only offered a D&C under general anesthetic.

I went on to have a hysterectomy and vaginal repair and even when they removed the packing 24 hours later, I was informed of my rights. I was once again told that I was to stop them at any time I wanted, but the nurse who did it was fantastic and it was tolerable. I was offered morphine prior to the removal.

No procedure should leave a person screaming in pain. That is just ridiculous. I will say one thing about whether or not the biopsy was warranted. I had no idea I had a large fibroid or a 16mm endometrial thickness prior to the testing. I think the doctor was being cautious because you had an abnormal pap smear, but I just don't get why doctors are doing biopsies this way when a D&C is better and more conclusive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register