1st Day Home after hysterectomy (10/26) - Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1st Day Home after hysterectomy (10/26) - Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along? 1st Day Home after hysterectomy (10/26) - Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along?

Unread 10-28-2016, 03:39 PM
1st Day Home after hysterectomy (10/26) - Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along?

Hi Everyone! I had my partial laparoscopic hysterectomy on Weds 10/26. My dr said I had 15 fibroids (one had grown from 5cm in May to almost 8cm) and a more severe case of endo than she anticipated, but that the surgery went better than she planned. I had 6 fibroids in May, so most of the fibroids were new!

Post surgery, I didn't have any nausea. There was a bit of an issue with my bladder after they removed the catheter: I wasn't able to urinate despite being extremely full. They had to re-cath me. This sounds worse that it was: I had Level 10 pain before the re-cath, and it went down to 1-2 almost immediately. I had over 1000ccs of fluid in my bladder!

The next day they removed the cath and everything worked normally. They said my bladder had been "bullied" around by the fibroids, then filled with air during the surgery, so it was "fatigued". I'm home now and resting well. I'm very very happy that I finally had this done. My pain regimen seems to be working well although I am a bit sore on one side. I had four small incisions and they are healing well. However, this soreness is NOTHING compared to the tremendous pain and cramping I've had for over 3 years, so I'm not too worried about the soreness. But If anyone has any suggestions for alleviating it, I'm all ears LOL!

Thank you for all of your support and advice. I felt super-prepared for this surgery and I'm glad I set up my bedroom and prepped meals before-hand. You all are awesome!

PS one cause of concern... I have been eating and eating and... I haven't pooped yet! Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Re: 1st Day Home, Feeling Good and Very Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBunnyPrince View Post

PS one cause of concern... I have been eating and eating and... I haven't pooped yet! Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along?
Take a stool softener and drink lots of water, also make sure your walking.
Unread 10-28-2016, 04:23 PM

So glad to hear that you're doing so well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
and glad the pre-op advice you gleaned here was so helpful. Welcome to the other side!

Oh, yeah. Sluggish bowels seems to be what most of us go through. It can take anywhere from 3-7 days to have that first BM. A diet with more fiber and less processed foods has fewer additives for the body to digest. I've learned from other Sisters that foods high in magnesium are good choices too, and often the same foods provide both. So, whole grains, veggies, dark leafy greens, fruits (dried, fresh, frozen), nuts, seeds...along with water-water-water, enough to float a canoe. Without water, you're making rocks, and rocks don't flow smoothly. Ask me how I know. Also, propping your feet up on a low footstool aligns your body for more efficient emptying (we were built to squat). Getting out and walking also gets the system going, but do what your body allows.

My go-to solution was been Fiber One original cereal, raisin bran, dried prunes, prune juice (ick, requires a chaser of something that tastes better) eaten throughout the day - yes, I had cereal for lunch before - plus the additional fruits & veggies.

Here's to lubed tubes!
Unread 10-29-2016, 06:54 AM
1st Day Home after hysterectomy (10/26) - Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along?

When I was trying to get things moving after my surgery, I'd chase my prunes with a cup of hot peppermint tea, which can help to combat constipation caused by narcotic pain medications. For magnesium, I'd have a few daily squares of dark chocolate, and make a smoothie with almond milk, spinach, cherries and ground flaxseeds. Also, the surgical antibiotics may have upset the normal balance of bacteria inside your intestinal tract; adding yogurt or kefir to your smoothie, or taking a probiotic supplement, can help to restore it. As well, you may be experiencing hormonal shifts, from your ovaries temporarily falling asleep, which can also affect gut motility; if you have no issues with soy, then 1-2 daily servings of tofu, edamame, or soy milk can help with hormonal balance until they resume normal functioning. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!
Unread 10-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Re: 1st Day Home after hysterectomy - Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along?

I found that prunes, colace, veggies and lots of water helped me to go. On day 5 I was concerned and took Milk of Magnesia. I went that afternoon and everyday since. Try not to stress. It will happen
Unread 10-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Re: 1st Day Home after hysterectomy - Is there anything I can do to speed my BMs along?

In addition to the stool softener ( ( took mine three times a day until I had 'progress').. there is a tea called 'smooth move' that helped a LOT. One cup, very gentle. Overnight..
Unread 10-30-2016, 05:43 PM

Hi,

My friend made me a homemade chicken & vegetable soup, that helped me. Good luck!
Unread 10-30-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone! I had my partial laparoscopic hysterectomy on Weds 10/26. My dr said I had 15 fibroids (one had grown from 5cm in May to almost 8cm) and a more severe case of endo than she anticipated, but that the surgery went better than she planned. I had 6 fibroids in May, so most of the fibroids were new!

Post surgery, I didn't have any nausea. There was a bit of an issue with my bladder after they removed the catheter: I wasn't able to urinate despite being extremely full. They had to re-cath me. This sounds worse that it was: I had Level 10 pain before the re-cath, and it went down to 1-2 almost immediately. I had over 1000ccs of fluid in my bladder!

The next day they removed the cath and everything worked normally. They said my bladder had been "bullied" around by the fibroids, then filled with air during the surgery, so it was "fatigued". I'm home now and resting well. I'm very very happy that I finally had this done. My pain regimen seems to be working well although I am a bit sore on one side. I had four small incisions and they are healing well. However, this soreness is NOTHING compared to the tremendous pain and cramping I've had for over 3 years, so I'm not too worried about the soreness. But If anyone has any suggestions for alleviating it, I'm all ears LOL!

Thank you for all of your support and advice. I felt super-prepared for this surgery and I'm glad I set up my bedroom and prepped meals before-hand. You all are awesome!

I had a stool softener with lots of water but what really got it going in a bind was warmed prune juice with melted butter. The nurses call it a brown slider!
Unread 10-30-2016, 11:36 PM

Hi, my LAVH was on 10/27 and I went already. My mom made me a traditional hot fruit punch. Get a package of dried fruits that has apricots, apples, prunes, add extra prunes and raisins. Chop them up and chop fresh apples. Add a can of crushed pineapple. Add cinnamon and cloves to taste. And boil in apple cider. This stuff taste great on a fall day and will help you go easily. Hope it helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register