One week post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week post op One week post op

Unread 03-30-2004, 08:04 AM
One week post op

One week ago today I was making my journey and I have to say I was terrified. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said "You'll be fine/ok, It will all work out", etc. If you haven't been there you really don't know. Looking back I believe the most frightening thing was the fear of the unknown. No matter how much research, office visits, phone conversations with Dr, there is always one more question that you forgot to ask. I do not profess to be an expert by any means, but I do have a few things to say about the whole experience. I traveled 200 miles to an excellent hospital for my surgery, it was certainly a very organized process. Because I was from so far away I had no pre-op appt with the anesthesiologist, but did discuss with my surgeon my options and had opted not to go with an epidural. When I checked in and started the process I was taken to a holding room, one of the anesthesiologists was introduced to me as the "dancing doctor my private bartender who mixed all the cocktails, all I had to do was place my order and he would mix it up." Ok so they were trying to be funny, lighthearted, what ever, but I was not amused, I was terrified. As he started to talk to me he made me believe that my Dr wanted me to have an epidural and pushed a form at me to sign. I became slightly hysterical because I thought this was all taken care of. Although he had a smile on his face I could tell he was not happy with me. In the end I signed that paper and I have to say that I am not sorry I did it. I was pain free for more than 24 hours, but there was one side effect, itching,which was controlled with large doses of Benadryl. Point being, make sure everyone is on the same page on this issue. You do not need any last minute decisions. At this point in the process you are alone without your support system and your doctor is unavailable to reassure you or help you make this decision. On the day I was being released I was talking to my Dr and mentioned the incident, she was furious. She stated that she did not recommend epidurals and thought it had been my decision. She went on to say that I was the second patient that week to tell her the same story and that she believed they pushed the epidurals because it doubled the cost of anesthesia.
I am not advocating for or against epidurals, as I said I was pain free for over 24 hours, but make sure you have all major decisions covered before you start the process to eliminate any last minute stressors. Next subject, Tummy Tuck. My surgeon was kind enough to do a mini tummy tuck free of charge. She cut a wedge (I call it my little shelf from previous surgeries) when she was closing, but did no in depth plastic surgery. I have no idea what it will look like or if it will even help, but it felt good that she went the extra mile for me and I have to say that she did an excellent job on the incision/closing. It's one of the prettiest scars I've ever seen. I will keep you updated on if it worked. Next subject, Medications. After the epidural wore off they will give you pain meds by injection through IV or by mouth. I chose by mouth. They started me on Oxicodone. It was great at controlling the pain, but make sure you eat at least a cracker every time you take one. It tends to cause nausea. My surgery was on Tuesday, I was home on Thursday and by Friday I had had enough of the drugs. I quit taking the Oxi because I believe it builds up in your system and I was extremely nauseated. I was lucky that Tylenol controlled my discomfort and I am a real weinie when it comes to pain. Today I feel great and despite the ups and downs I made it through. and so will all of you. I can say that because I've been there. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, I will be as honest and helpful as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 09:19 AM
One week post op

Your right I learnt the worse fear was the unknown. I learnt so much from this sight and it helped me throught everything. I am doing fine and not on as much as before but still try to check in to try and help someone like those that helped me. Love, ((((STITCHER))))
Unread 03-30-2004, 09:35 AM
One week post op

Its so nice to hear stories of other hystersisters that are frightened before surgery. You realize you are not the only one going thru this fear. Fear of the unknown...I think having a positive attitude and just taking one step at a time with the whole process is important. I am looking forward to being on the other side and tomorrow at this time my surgery will be done and over with. I'm looking forward to starting a new life without the bleeding and pain and it WILL get better. Thanks hystersisters for all your support and prayers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Thank you!

Hi Sweetp2, thank you for the post. I can only speak for me but I know I have been reading a lot about the epidurals but not sure if it is right for me....I guess I am hoping that I can control the pain with oral meds so I don't need one, but thank God for my sisters, at least I know to ask now. My pre op is 4/9 so I have time yet....but I feel like I am on a roller coaster. One minute I am excited and can't wait and feel like the bravest person in the world, the next minute I want to scream and cry and cancel and forget the whole thing. I feel like I am going crazy! So thanks so much for sharing your experience, the more I read from my sisters that have been there and come home the more a little confidence creeps back in and tries to tell me I will be ok.
Thanks again! One stupid question,do they administer the epidural before the general anesthesia, or after you are asleep?
I wanted them to cath me after, I can't imagine they will do all this while I am in dreamland.
See, told you I am a chicken!

Hugs!
S.
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM
One week post op

Hi, I was given the epidurmal before surgery while I was in a room talking with the DR and anesthia man and I was occupied so I wasn't paying attention. My husband and son saw the nurse to it. No wonder I walked so quietly to surgery room!! ((((STITCHER))))
Unread 03-31-2004, 04:29 AM
Reply to 39&Fallnapart

Being catheterized while awake was one of my greatest fears also. Yes, they will do it after you are asleep, just make sure you tell them prior to them administering the twilight/relaxation meds they give you before full anesthesia. I had a piece of paper with 5 questions I had forgotten to ask and when my two dearest friends let them wheel me off they tucked this paper in the top of my gown. All of these questions were answered before they administered the first set of drugs. All issues must be resolved before any drugs are administered, if they are not you could maintain that you were coerced into making decisions under the influence and believe me they do not want that to happen. One of the first requests I made upon waking was for them to remove the catheter. It wasn't bothering me, I couldn't even feel it, but I had this thing about that catheter. They removed it the morning following surgery. They give you approximately 6 hours to function on your own after removal. I did not function in the first 6 hours and I asked them to re-cath me, I could not tell if I was having discomfort from abdominal pain or a full bladder. They were very gentle and it did not hurt at all, as a matter of fact it was a blessed relief because my bladder was completely full and once that was released I felt so much better.
OK.. the epidural. Once again I am not advocating for or against this procedure. I had made the decision prior to surgery that I was NOT having a needle stuck in my spine. Just the thought, you know what I mean? Here is the way it went down for me. They hooked up the IV they administer meds through. They placed one of the bedside tables, the ones you eat off of, has the mirror for grooming etc next to the bed. They placed a pillow on that table. I sat on the edge of the bed, leaned over resting my upper body on the pillow and the anesthesiologist administered a relaxation med through the IV. Because I was so nervous I believe he gave me an extra boost. They swabbed a spot on the spine, did the injection and quite frankly I never felt a thing. It seems that he actually put me out for a minute or two because when I next realized what was going on it was over and I was numb from the waist down. From that moment on I drifted in and out and felt no fear or pain. I next remember waking in the surgery suite immediately before the surgery, they moved me to the operating table, my Dr gave me some encouraging words and then I woke up in the recovery room. I had no pain for at least 24 hours.
Please try not to be afraid, I know that is easy to say because I am a very nervous, high strung person and I cannot even find the words to describe how frightened I was. But.. it truly was not half as bad as I had envisioned.. not even close. Hope this answers your questions and if you have any others I will try to help in anyway that I can. My love and prayers to you.
Unread 06-28-2005, 05:04 PM
One week post op

Hi! It was great to see someone out there in my situation, well, I am only 5 days out since surgery. I was wondering if you have any upper abdominal discomfort? My lower abdomen actually feels very good but the bloating in my upper abdomen is bothersome at least. I have had reflux disorder in the past and was wondering if this discomfort may be part of that, since they moved so many organs? I may have over done myself some today also, trying to get my kitchen the way I like it rather than resting, shame on me! If you have any info it would be greatly apprecited. This is the first time on sight. Thanks to anyone who may be able to help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register