food taboo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-19-2001, 04:46 PM
food taboo

Hi sisters,
I'm new to this forum. Have been reading all your posts..real encouraging and supportive and i really salute each and everyone of you for giving support and advice to those in need like myself. I feel i am more prepared to face the "fun" after those readings. Am due for TAH kiv BSO on 28 March 2001. Am posting from Malaysia. There is one particular question i have in mind about food intake after surgery. Over here you are advice not to eat this and that and those taken must be specially prepared this way and that...sounds rather conservative..but not too sure. So i'm seeking advice and help from you sister out there for more info since you all have gone through the experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2001, 05:24 PM
food taboo

Dear Iona,

the only thing I can suggest from experience is to avoid foods that produce gas (flatulence). Gas is painful after a TAH, so to lessen that as much as possible, do not eat any foods that are likely to give you gas problems.

As far as food preparation, special ways to prepare food and all that... I prepared lasagnas and other casseroles ahead of time and froze them (I also got some microwavable meals in the freezer and some healthy snacks like fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, more fruit, a variety of natural juices and lots of distilled water.) There is a website called OAMC (Once-a-month-cooking) that can be very helpful in preparing meals in advance, putting them in the freezer and then another member of your household can simply pop them in the oven from the freezer and you don't have to worry about being on your feet too much and cooking.

How many in your household are you responsible for feeding? Can you prepare some items ahead of time so you won't have to be on your feet so much after surgery? Much love and hugs to you! Hoping and praying your recovery is complete and speedy. Please do heed the Hystersisters rule that: you've only one chance to heal correctly, so do that first and foremost. If you don't heed this rule, the pillow police might have to confine you to the bed!
Unread 03-19-2001, 05:32 PM
food taboo

Welcome

I can tell you what I would not eat nor drink. Foods that cause gas like beans, bananas, heavy spiced food, greasy foods, & soft drinks (carbonated drinks). I can also tell you that I craved all of the above except for beans.

As far as preparing foods, it seems as though each family, much less, each region has a special way to prepare food to please their taste and in addition to help your health needs.

Do take the time to rest after your surgery!

I wish you good health,
Queena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2001, 10:33 PM
food taboo

Thanks for the quick response. .info given about what food can be taken and what ought not to be taken are very helpful for speedy recovery after the op. i was also told that chicken meat causes swelling, pus development and itchiness on incision, any truth in it? Even fish..only certain type can be taken and normally to avoid the oil, roasting them is recommended..please comment.

Will be getting a helper during the recovery period. so food preparation for the family is taken care of.
Unread 03-20-2001, 05:56 AM
food taboo

I find your post very interesting. March 28th is also my
date for surgery. My doctor has not mentioned anything
about avoiding chicken or fish. Today is my pre-op exam
with my doctor, so I will ask her. I am basically a
vegetarian plus I eat fish and drink soy milk. What fish
were you told to avoid and when? Is it so long before
surgery and so long after surgery? Maybe I will follow your
doctors advise about the fish.
Many hystersisters are told to stay on a clear liquid
diet one or two days before surgery, and some are not.
It seems that the recommended diet before surgery
depends on your doctor's beliefs.
It is fascinating that your doctor says to avoid chicken.
I have never heard that before from a doctor.
Unread 03-20-2001, 06:01 AM
Remember our different environments

All opinions stated below are my own and are not intended as medical advice.

Hi and welcome!

I'm wondering if the advice you are getting there is due to differences in our environments and how foods are grown and prepared where you are. If I were in Malaysia I know I would be eating different things than I do here. I'd also be interested in hearing what advice you have been getting. Sometimes old traditions, if that's what some of this advice is, are very wise.

As for what to eat right after surgery, my doctor would not let me eat anything until my bowels started working. I kept to clear fluids for a day after that, then added in easily digested foods. For example, I find that bananas that have ripened to the point that they have some spots on them are very easy on my digestive system. And chicken and fish are good, but maybe the chicken you get has a lot of hormones in it and that would *not* be so good. In general, I kept to soft foods for a couple of days, used a stool softener, which I still use, and then added in whatever seemed right. You may have foods available that aren't so readily available to us. Some tropical fruits and juices would be easy. and sqjuash is also easily digested in my case, anyway. Fried foods would probably be difficult. I also find that moon dal is one of the first things that I can tolerate when my bowels have been sleepy.

Glad you found us, hope things go well for you.
Unread 03-20-2001, 07:39 AM
food taboo

Iona - Hello and welcome. The first couple of days after surgery I just had clear liquids (jello, broths, clear soups etc)..then I ate soft bland foods...no gasy or fried foods for a couple of weeks. No carbonated drinks...just LOTS of water and juice.

I think it's important to follow drs. restrictions and after care recommendations...they all have their reasons. It would be interesting to hear more....please share.
Unread 03-20-2001, 09:27 AM
food taboo

Iona,
Hi and welcome to the board! I see we go in on the same day. I go to pre-op Friday, but they sent me papers to read ahead of time. A few days before, eat light foods, we don't want gas or hard to pass foods. Chicken, turkey and fish were fine as long as it was thin and soft, no fried foods. The first few days afterwards should be clear liquids and gradually add soft foods. Nothing gassy! Soups, jello, tea, coffee, water, juice, popcycles!
TAH/BSO 3-28-01
Unread 03-20-2001, 10:23 AM
food taboo

Hi Iona,

I had my TAVBSO two weeks ago. Like the above posts said, when I started eating it was broth, juice, jello, ice. You will want to avoid really cold stuff - it will cause gas.

When I got home, I surprisingly had little appetite for a while and had to force myself to eat small amounts. I did not want anything sweet for some reason. I had potatoes, frozen winter squash, okra (which helped with bowel movements) and toast. I added slowly a bit of chicken and just last night had beef for the first time. I keep brown rice always and have a rice cooker so i suspect white or brown rice would be easy for you. I also was wanting oatmeal or other soft food like this and it was easy to fix, then keep extra servings. Another thing I hardly ever eat otherwise was canned peaches, very cold! Taster might be really 'off' for a week or so if you are still on pain medication, antibiotics and until the general anesthesia works it's way out of your system.

One thing surprisingly, was soy milk. I'd become very fond of SunSoy, either Caffe latte or vanilla and I drank a lot of it the first few days. And it caused the worst kind of gas. I avoided it and it helped. Its good for you and I hope I can add it back.

Be sure and take a stool softener at least twice a day and lots of water and maybe a fiber pill like Fibercon. You will not be able to help having gas for a few days - it's just your bowels getting back in shape. You do want to minimize whatever foods you normally eat that tend to cause it. and the foods that might cause it now may not be the usual foods that you'd think would. It will change. Just go slow, eat small and know that your recovery will go well! Let us know how you are and we send all our prayers and best wishes!

Pam
Unread 03-20-2001, 03:43 PM
food taboo

I was allowed a "light" diet the first day after surgery, they had me on broth and jello etc. The second day I was eating normal foods. I was not restricted to no food until I had a bowel movement I think I would have starved to death had they told me that. I was told that the "light" diet was due to the anesthesia more than anything, because the anesthesia can cause you to feel sick to your stomach.
You should definitely check with your doctor to see what his/her preferences are.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register