bowel prep--help please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bowel prep--help please bowel prep--help please

Unread 08-04-2002, 12:40 PM
bowel prep--help please

Hi ladies--

well, it's the day before and I am in the middle of my bowel prep with one major problem! Nothing is happening! I ate breakfast as instructed, then 2 hours later, as per inst., drank two bottles of mag. citrate. Used sstraw and had it over ice, as per many sisters suggestions, which made it much easier. Got rather nauseated, have had some slight stomach grumblings and cramping, but it's now 3:30 and nothing has happened. I have had two cups of hot/warm chicken broth, one popsicle, took first dose of antibiotics, and nothing! Have any of you had to wait for quitesometime before things actually started moving? I am getting very impatient, and a bit concerned because I don't want to be up all night!!! I drank the hot broth, and think I will turn to some hot water, as it is my recollection that other sisters have said this tends to help with gas. Maybe it will also help move what's in there out! I am thirsty from the chicken broth, but that's it. Any suggestions? Anyone been in this position? I expected an explosion within two hours! Thanks. Awaiting word! A rumbling, grumbling New Yorker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Sad, but true "waiting" is the worst

I had the magnesium citrate also. I chug-a-lugged it straight down as fast as I could! that was 1:20pm the day before. At 7:30pm I had two quick bouts of cleaning out. I thought, great that was easy enough. Then at 10pm it started and I was there for an hour! My had "butt burn" from wiping so much. Then 3 more times during the night. Then 2 more times in the morning!! I had to be at the Castle at 11:30am and was afraid I'd still be going. Although the bottle says it starts working in 30 mins to 6 hours, it was well beyond that before it really started working. Then when it did, it really did!!!!!! I didn't want to be patient, I too wanted it to get over with so I wasn't up in the night. And worst of all I didn't want it working BEFORE I got in the night!!!!! Whew, I lived through it. Waiting for that was worse than the waiting for surgery." Don't go anywhere because you just don't know WHEN is time.

TC
Unread 08-04-2002, 03:55 PM
bowel prep-please help

Dear TexasChick--

Thanks for sharing your experience. I got on line about 1/2 too soon. I have gone so much in the past 2 1/2 hours that I'm not sure I understand where all of this can possibly be coming from!!!But I am drinking gatrade and wish I could sink my teeth into a really scrumptous dinner. Oh well, I guess those will come back sooner or later. I've been drinking my gatorade as instructed, which I actually think is helping me not get the shakes, but my poor bum is sooooo sore. It's 6:40 now and I expect this to be pretty much over by 9 at the latest. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Today I am in a much more accepting mode, as many of the sisters have reported. I guess I have gone through my ups and downs and now simply want to move onto the castle and move on with my life. Thanks again! How are you feeling?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register