Hello newbie here/ May 20th, 2002 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello newbie here/ May 20th, 2002 Hello newbie here/ May 20th, 2002

Unread 05-08-2002, 07:33 AM
Hello newbie here/ May 20th, 2002

Hello everyone

I am a 36 yr old with just a few questions. Did you need a blood transfusion if so how much did you receive and or did you donate prior to your surgery to make sure the blood you got your could trust. I know the Blood institutes do all they can but it scares me to think that I might contact hipatits if they dont test it correctly.

I am having an abml total hyst with everything removed. How long before i start on the hormones and do they come in shots. I am terriable about taking pills.

I am ready for this to be over with

P.S. I hate needles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 07:51 AM
Hi Marialicem

I just wanted to welcome you to HysterSisters.

I can't answer your HRT question, as I haven't had my surgery yet (I'm scheduled May 23) and I'm keeping my ovaries (fingers crossed!), but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can.

I do know that the need for blood transfusions with this surgery is very rare, and that some blook banks and hospitals do let you, as well as family and friends with your blood type, donate for yourself. I also know that all blood is screened very carefully, so the chances of contracting hepatitis or HIV is very, very small.

Learn all that you can before your surgery so that you will be well informed. This site is an excellent source of information, but even better, a wonderful place to find support and to talk with ladies who are going through what you are.

s to you!

Lisa

Unread 05-08-2002, 08:30 AM

Hi Maria and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

Have you read the pull-down menus on the main page yet? www.hystersisters.com There is a lot of information on this site and those menus helped me answer questions and gather questions for me to ask my doctor.

My doctor told me that if I had to have my ovaries removed I would be sent home with a patch...I have mine though. I hate needles too, girlie!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 09:23 AM
hormone replacement

The night after my surgery, a nurse put a patch on my arm so I wouldn't start having hot flashes. When I left the hospital, I had a prescription at the outpatient pharmacy for the Vivelle Dot, which goes on the abdomen and gets changed twice a week. The only feeling of hormonal abnormality I have had was Monday night when I changed the patch and I must have gotten some of the adhesive on my fingers. I felt weird for a couple of hours, but back to normal since then.
Unread 05-08-2002, 10:12 AM

Hi
Just wanted to welcome you to our group. You and I are castle date mates!
My doc has said I will get some sort of hormone pill. I dont know which one yet, dont recall him naming it.
I am having a TAH/BSO but dont look forward to getting the HRT thing settled. Hope not too much fuss about it.
I have had a c-section years ago and I didnt need a transfusion then that I can remember.....but I just have to trust some things I have no control over. I hate that but things have a way of happening the way they are supposed to for a reason.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers on our castle day. We can get through this together.
Unread 05-08-2002, 11:02 AM
WELCOME HYSTERSISTER!

Welcome to the best support group there is!

The bulletin boards can answer soooo many questions and/or help you find answers. The women here also help you to know what questions to take to your doctor. ALWAYS ask your dr! You may think your dr will get sick of hearing from you (I think mine does ) but if you have a question, ASK!

Another think I found helpful was making a "book" to put my questions, answers and lists in. Every time I find a question I need to ask my dr, I write it in my book. I also write the answers there, too. I find a great deal of comfort being able to refer to this "book" when I start feeling panicky.

Good luck and lots of s! You are in the RIGHT PLACE!
Unread 05-08-2002, 11:26 AM

I did donate some blood for my surgery. I was supposed to donate 2 units but as I have NO veins and it was so difficult to donate 1 unit I will settle for that. My doctor said it was very rare to require any blood and it was just a safety measure. I wouldn't sweat that detail. Sorry I can't help with the HRT question as I am scheduled for 5/22 but you will get all the help you 'll need on this site. Good luck!
Unread 05-09-2002, 01:51 PM

I want to thank everyone for the support and the information. I think of a dozen questions. I am going to go out and get a personal journal and start keeping a daily journal. and then get one for my husband and see if we cant help each other out with our discussions and talking. Cause sometimes u can write what you cant say and i am feeling very light headed after giving blood which i was home so i could go to sleep.

Well thanks to all the princesses and the soon to be princesses.
have a wonderful day and thanks for all the information

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register