4 week post op. Check..... Felt rushed and confused! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 week post op. Check..... Felt rushed and confused! 4 week post op. Check..... Felt rushed and confused!

Unread 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Re: 4 week post op. Check..... Felt rushed and confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheOcean View Post
I guess I am just lucky then, to have a doc that really does care. I know there are others who go to my practice, and they had similar experiences with other doctors in the practice. That makes me sad. My doc is a real gem. I wish everyone had one who was so wonderful.
I agree, my doctors are all very supportive and caring. I hope the ladies who have had negative experiences shop around for better care as soon as they're able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbow81 View Post
Incisions start to heal within 3 days...4 wks is plenty of time to do an exam...they dont want anything in there, because flat out...they don't trust US or our partners with screwing up their work...it needs to heal more....and I don't blame them one bit. It's not just that area but also everything is tied into eachother...you don't want to screw up stuff just for the big O! My doctor did an exam on me at postop day 4 and day 7 (due to fever/chills-checking for infection) and then again yesterday at my 4 wk postop appt. Although she said that she couldn't even tell that she did surgery when she did my exam at day 4....she told me yesterday that she still didn't want anything in there for 2 more wks (she usually tells people 4 wks postop for sex but I had complications...hematoma).....so I don't think anything is wrong with the exam...it doesn't hurt.
But you had signs of a possible infection. If there were no such problems, would there be any need for an internal? I can understand a doctor not doing it if they didn't think it was necessary.
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:24 PM

I've noticed the younger female dr's are more caring and are willing to go the distance. My gyn is probably 37 and she actually gave me her cell phone number and I've been trying not to abuse it but she said with any question at all to call or text her.
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunn View Post
But you had signs of a possible infection. If there were no such problems, would there be any need for an internal? I can understand a doctor not doing it if they didn't think it was necessary.
Yes...the only reason she did it at 4 days postop was to check for infection...i just used those as reference to let you know that even that early...there was no pain....but I did ask here...she said that if she ever does any kind of internal stitching or surgery she always checks to make sure that everything is healing correctly, because even if your body is not giving off any signs....doesn't mean that the incision isn't healing wrong (not infected)...just healing odd....to make sure that your "cuff" or "vault" is sealed so to speak is the way she explained it to me.
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazed View Post
Why don't you ring his surgery and ask the receptionist to pass on that you feel a bit rushed and are concerned about not checking internally. Ask him to ring you back. At least then a quick phone call with him might give you peace of mind why he did not do it, or if you talk with him and tell him you want him to check, then he should fit you in asap.

Not a nice feeling to be left with is it?

:cathugs:
Thank you for that advice, I think i will call him, I am also planning on seeing my family doctor, she is a real gem and i think she will listen to me and take real notice.
Its hard thinking your just another surgry for them... this is my body and the effects of the surgry roll out in not only mine but my DH and daughters lives.
Thanks for the advice and support

xxx
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:45 PM

I felt exactly the same way when I had persistent pain that was different than the "healing" pain I had been feeling -- when I had my doctor paged, he was so dismissive and patronizing of me. I felt really scared and I was in PAIN that the pain medication was NOT helping, which I told him. He kept saying "Well, it's just got to be HEALING pain!". He did tell me to come into the office if I didn't start feeling better, and he actually performed a vaginal ultrasound -- it didn't hurt. He told me he saw my ovaries and that "everything looks fine".

But each time I've seen him or talked with him since surgery, I've felt like he was very impatient with me and that he wasn't very concerned about the issues I asked him about.

He was so nice to me at my initial visit -- took a lot of time with me and even drew a diagram of what he planned to do and showed me some pictures on his computer of fibroids and similar cases to mine.

That's partly why I feel so offended with how he has treated me SINCE the surgery -- it's like he's done with me and wants me to "move along". I know I shouldn't take it personally, but I can't help it.
Unread 08-21-2010, 06:30 PM

When I was discharged from the hospital I was told my they wanted to seem me in two weeks, at that appointment my incision was checked the stri-stripes were removed, I was told it was to early to check the vaginal cuff. We went into his office and discussed briefly how I was feeling and if I need a prescription for more pain meds etc. My next appointment was two week later at 4 wks. I had an internal exam the vag cuff was checked stitches still there, we met in his office and discussed HRT and waiting for sex still not ready. Next checkup at 6 weeks I had an internal exam stitches gone wanted us to wait two more weeks before trying sex. We went back into his office and discussed going back to work, and the fact he wanted to see me in three months for a follow up exam. any problems before then I was instructed to call him.
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACB94 View Post
When I was discharged from the hospital I was told my they wanted to seem me in two weeks, at that appointment my incision was checked the stri-stripes were removed, I was told it was to early to check the vaginal cuff. We went into his office and discussed briefly how I was feeling and if I need a prescription for more pain meds etc. My next appointment was two week later at 4 wks. I had an internal exam the vag cuff was checked stitches still there, we met in his office and discussed HRT and waiting for sex still not ready. Next checkup at 6 weeks I had an internal exam stitches gone wanted us to wait two more weeks before trying sex. We went back into his office and discussed going back to work, and the fact he wanted to see me in three months for a follow up exam. any problems before then I was instructed to call him.

WOW!! Sounds like you have a wonderful Dr.. I wish my Dr. was like that. Glad you had a good experience with your Dr.
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:43 PM

My doctor wanted to see me back after surgery in two weeks. He did not do internal exam or look at my incision sites. I believe this is normal for the first post op appointment unless there is a problem. I trust my dr and have no doubt he would have done it different he needed too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register