How soon can I have another surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon can I have another surgery? How soon can I have another surgery?

Unread 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
How soon can I have another surgery?

I am two weeks and three days out from an abd hysterectomy.

My conundrum of the moment though has to do with my larger picture. I am positive for a BRCA mutation (having discovered a second, contralateral, breast cancer and gotten genetic testing). So I started out in late September 2007 with a (breast) lumpectomy (for a DCIS) and a BSO; BSO pathology yielded a very early in situ cancer in a fallopian tube, hence the need to proceed to hysterectomy.

Now I need to move on to a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction (using my own belly tissue). My gyn onc thought it would be OK to get this next surgery Jan. 15 (when a hugely recommended reconstructive surgeon has an available slot in NYC), i.e., just over 4 weeks from the hyst (which was Dec. 17). (The next available time for this surgeon would be March 6.)

Anyone have experience with this kind of surgical time table? Or is this totally crazy and should I find another reconstructive surgeon whose schedule would allow me more time to heal from the hyst? (Or just wait until March 6?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 03:44 PM

What does your doctor say? Shouldn't he/she decide based on your healing and your current medical status? That should be your guide. Also which would be worse a second surgery so close together, or waiting on your mastectomy until March? Good luck with your decision making. Let us know what you decided. - Suzyq
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM

(((pheemow))) That is a tough one. I totally understand your desire to get the best surgeon possible and what their schedules are like, and also the desire to get all this behind you. However, I haven't had the bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction (yet - with my history, who knows what is to come) but from reading posts here from others who have, I know it's a pretty painful deal. Are you going to be able to twist your body around painlessly by then? You will be losing (temporarily) much of the use of your upper body; if your pelvis is also still healing, you may find yourself more of an invalid for a longer period of time than you'd like.

I would ask your DR's advice based on how your recovery is going, and perhaps ask the surgeon's staff what the schedule looks like a little further out. It's not an emergency procedure so you do have time; also, unforeseen circumstances can and do arise sometimes. For example, I was healing great from my TVH six years ago at 3-4 weeks post op when all of a sudden I was quite seriously ill and in a lot of pain. It turned out I had diverticulitis and my colon had perforated and (thank goodness) abscessed, and ultimately a year later I had to have most of my colon removed. I never would have guessed at 3 weeks post op that I wouldn't be ready for a marathon by 5 weeks; if I'd planned another surgery for then I would have been in real trouble.

Please let us know how things work out for you. You're welcome to post over in our Breast Health forum about the mastectomies/reconstruction if you'd like to - we have a couple of other ladies there who've had them as well as a hyst.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM

I had a surgery Dec 2006 then Jan 2007 and then a hysterectomy on Feb 7, 2007. I hope this helps you. I want to wish you luck and hope you feel better soon 's
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM

hi phee, well I had a hyst in may of 06. It took me a long while to recover, but I feel great now. On dec 11 I had a bilat mast. The recovery has been easier than my hyst, but still no walk in the park. My dcis was discovered in september. I had a bunch of tests and decided to have bilat due to my history,but, I took lots of time to think about it . Since I have experienced both surgeries here is my 2 cents. I would wait till at least the march date. Your body has been through enough for now. With a mast the upper part of your body is weak and sore. I know u probably want to get it all over with, but really whats the hurry. The hyst takes a long tome for your body to heal and 3 months is the minimum amount of time for a good healing. The bilat seemed easier to me, but I would not want to have them so close together. I think your surgeon should discourage a bilat so close to a hyst. Also as far as recon after bilat, got to breastcancer.org and read all their info. There is also a chat room with many women who have had recon. They can be very helpful. I did not have recon. good luck to you and remember it will all be over soon and u will be "normal" again.
Unread 01-05-2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks to all for your responses -- I've decided that I am not ready (in either mind or body) to go with another surgery so soon, and my breast surgeon is also OK with waiting until March. (Her take was that the cancer is out of the currently diagnosed breast; she also thinks that given the kind of reconstruction I am going for, a DIEP, that this recon surgeon is THE guy to do the procedure.)

I'm sure that delaying further treatment will also help me to heal better from the hysterectomy and thus to be better able to deal with the lessened mobility from the bilat and recon -- I just feel calmer and time is slowing down a bit. And I absolutely understand the wisdom of allowing room for "stuff" to happen; hopefully the only stuff will be planning this year's vegetable garden, but these bodies can present surprises.

Thanks again, sisters.

Deb (AKA Pheemow)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register