what is general anesthesia like? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what is general anesthesia like? what is general anesthesia like?

Unread 06-13-2008, 08:16 AM
what is general anesthesia like?

Exactly what everyone else has said!

Except after every one of my surgeries in recovery, apparently when I wake up the first question I ask is when they are going to start my surgery. I always think I'm still in pre-op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM

It is perfectly normal to be nervous about not only the anesthesia but the major surgery that you will be having. I fell asleep quickly as I was out before they wheeled me into the surgical room. Before I knew it, the nurse was trying to wake me up in recovery and I was relieved that it was over. Be sure to stay on top of your pain with the pain meds which will allow you rest comfortably and help your body to start the healing process.

Wishing all of our sisters well in their upcoming procedures and know that we will be here for you when you are recovering!
Unread 06-13-2008, 10:01 AM

I had a great experience with it!

I was given my "happy juice" in the OR, I remember looking around and the next thing I know felt like I was waking up from a regular night's sleep. A nurse was saying something to me, but I don't remember what.

This was so different from my two previous experiences with general [which was over 20 years ago]. Back then I felt like I was in a limbo state for hours [couldn't go to sleep, couldn't stay awake and concentrate on anything around me]. It was frustrating.

This time I was just a little groggy at first and could talk and focus on things around me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2008, 07:01 PM

I had my LAVH lastg Wednesday and the general anesthetic was a breeze. I remember my anesthesiologist patting her pocket and telling he she had my "cocktail" right here. Apparently she gave it to me and I remember little else since. I do remember being lifted onto the operating table and seeing the really big DaVinci logo on the machine and thinking "What great advertising"

After waking in recovery I started complaining to my partner that my surgeon never came to see me before the surgery. She said, "yes, he did and you were talking and laughing with him!" I don't remember ANY of that!

I had no problems with waking or nausea afterward. I will warn that occassionally you will get a blister on your lip from the intibation tube. This time it was small and no big deal. One other time I had a huge lip and painful blister. I made sure to tell the anesthesiologist not to mess up my lip this time!!

Good luck.
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM

I am scared of everything. If you give me enough time I will think of every possible outcome good and bad. So I worry everything to death. After 27 years I can usually let them draw my blood without passing out anymore. I still pass out with IVs. So the nurse comes in to place my IV, and I did OK, but needed to be fanned and slapped a few times. The anesthesiologist comes in and starts joking with me, then says to give the versed. I remember looking at the nurse as my nose got "fuzzy" and saying to her, "Dang this "stuff" is great!" In less than a minute I was gone. I thought I was out, but I was later told I was still conscious and very funny! I don't remember anything until sometime in recovery, which was fine with me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register