Any Horse Riders Out There? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Horse Riders Out There? Any Horse Riders Out There?

Unread 05-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Any Horse Riders Out There?

Are there any Post Op's out there that can tell me when I can expect to be horse back riding again? Or walking him on my own without the fear of him pulling too hard on the lead (he's a little high strung).

My surgery is Tuesday the 17th.

I'm ready to get this over with so I can get back to a normal routine. I exercised him a little last night and ended up having sharp pains on the problem ovary and then light bleeding.

I'm having a "It's My Last Period Party" with the girlfriends Friday night so we are getting this kicked off with a bang!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2005, 08:11 AM

I also have horses. It will be awhile. I started riding at 6 weeks. Started cleaning stalls at 4 weeks. Not real heavy would do a bit at a time morning and evening till I got it done.

I started leading them around 6 weeks. It still hurt a bit if they would jerk. My Dr. said it would be fine.

I guess it will depend upon what type of surgery and how you feel and what your dr. will tell you about working with your horses again.

Best of luck too you!!!
Unread 05-12-2005, 08:13 AM

Thank you for replying. That's encouraging. Luckily mine is on full care and I have plenty of friends that will groom and exercise him. I think I will miss that most though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2005, 01:47 PM

Hi, I was 6 weeks post op as of yesterday and it was my first time back riding and it felt so good to be back in the saddle. (although I am a little saddle sore today, after being off six weeks my body forgot i guess.) My doctor cleared me to ride at everything but jumping at two weeks, but as two weeks came around there was no way. Scarlet is very high strung at times and is very tall and strong so I knew I would hurt myself. At 5 weeks I went and just pulled a gate and walked another horse back out to pasture but that little bit pulled something and I had a swelly belly that night.

But yesterday I rode even at a trot, hauled the heavy western saddle around and pulled gates open and all was just fine, It was so hard to wait but I am glad I had the surgery and will be looking forward to flow-free riding days.

Good luck and have fun once you get back to riding.

Sharon
Unread 05-12-2005, 01:51 PM

Yeah!!! That is wonderful news. I can handle 6 weeks -- it's 4 - 6 months that I couldn't handle!!!

Thanks for the uplifting news!!!
Unread 05-12-2005, 03:51 PM

I have 2 horses and was wondering the same thing! It hurts too much to ride right now so I am really looking forward to riding again. I have high strung horses too. My Dr said if there was any chance that they would pull or jerk alot, don't do it for 6 weeks.
I am glad it is not months and months too!!!! My hubby will get the experience of caring for them though, as right now they are my sold responsibility.
Good luck to you ! Tiffany
Unread 05-12-2005, 04:56 PM

I too have horses. Mine are pretty young so my husband will be handling everyone for a while too. It will work out just fine, because we'll all miss fly season and I hate riding when its 90 degrees anyway! But man they will all be working hard come Sept! I can't hardly wait to get back in the saddle again. Its so hard when just the thought of riding leaves you exhausted and when you have cramps so bad you certainly don't feel like riding.

I can't wait to be "normal" again!
Unread 05-12-2005, 05:36 PM

My dr. told me at my 4 week appointment I could gradually go back to riding (and everything else). I am going to wait until at least 6 weeks to ride. I don't have my own horse right now. I take dressage lessons and there is a lot of trotting. I did groom 3 horses Sunday at the SPCA. I volunteer there and missed that a lot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register