Seeing Oncologist fri, pain question, too... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seeing Oncologist fri, pain question, too... Seeing Oncologist fri, pain question, too...

Unread 05-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Seeing Oncologist fri, pain question, too...

Hi all,
Well, I am due to see my Mom's Oncologist this fri. 6-3, my Gyno has me scheduled for a tah taking ovaries and all, but as I have the mass on the right ovary that she cannot guarantee (without surgical diagnosis) is not malignant, I asked her to send my records to Oncologist I take my Mom to for her lung cancer. My Gyno was very nice about it, said she totally respected him and his opinion...I guess I am rambling, I took my Mom in today to see Cancer Dr. for her check up...and it was so surreal...I feel like I am not talking about me, like this is not happening to me...Plus, I am really worried about the surgery as I have interstitial cystitis and have to take a pain med daily for it...I plan to talk to all the Dr.'s about it, but I don't even take the med now like I am supposed to, I am afraid of "getting hooked" which I know cannot happen for legitimate pain, my Dr.'s call me the "nibbler" as they know how I hate meds...But, the fact is I still have been on the med, and am wondering how it will effect my recovery pain??? Any one else ever have this??? Thanks all for listening and your ideas...
Take Care,
KF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2005, 07:17 PM

I had to be on pain meds pre op as well for endo pain. I was worried about having a tolerance to pain meds but my doc reassured me that all would be taken care of, and it was. As long as your doc is aware of the meds you are on they will know how much, etc. Make sure to bring up your concern with him and your anesthesiologist before surgery so they can come up with a pain plan for you beforehand. I was on Norco 10 mg 4 times a day pre op and had a fentanyl epidural for 24 post op with my button I could push to get bolus doses. It also was a constant flow med. After it came out I had one shot of Demoral/Vistaril and then two Percocet every 2 hours. I got another Demoral shot for the ride home and was on Percocet and Tylenol 3 at home.
Unread 05-31-2005, 07:37 PM

jujub26,
Thank you so much for the quick reply...this has really been bothering me lately, so much that I thought about "weening" myself off the meds before 6-28...Of course my IC Dr. totally did not like that idea...neither did my hubby, or my Mom who also lives with us...You have made me feel so much better!!!
How are you doing now?
Take Care,
KF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 10:15 AM

I just wanted to say good luck on Friday and to bump you up to the front so you can get a little more support on the oncology issues. That most be so overwhelming but I am glad you are going to srr an oncologist. Let us know if you can how it turns out on Friday. You are in my prayers, Marg
Unread 06-01-2005, 04:54 PM

Thanks Marg for your Prayers and kind words. I am just trying to keep the anxiety at bay...My Mom lives with my family and I and she is battling lung cancer, and now an abcess from the surgery...My biological dad died from leukemia and multiple myeloma and all of his brothers and sisters have either passed away from or have had cancers...and as I said I am a DES daughter...so I am pretty scared...I feel like it is not me I am talking about, like I am in a bad dream. Mom and I will both see the Oncologist on Fri. , then she sees her Infection Dr. (she was diagnosed with the lung cancer March 13, 2004, we were not referred to a cancer Dr., and as a matter of fact were told that surgery was her best option....anyways, they took out 2/3 of her right lung, and the 1/3 of the lobe they left abcessed, she has been in the hospital on IV antibiotics for over 5 weeks one time, 2 weeks another, I am the one who found our Wonderful Oncologist and she had to delay her chemos because of the lung infection, it has just been a mess for her...I guess we will find out on fri. if they are going to have to take the rest of the lung out...she has been on antibiotics for over 15 months...It is just really hard with she and I both sick...Thank God I have a terrific hubby and our son is 19 and out of college for the summer to help us....I am so glad I found this website and my Interstitial cystitis website is so supportive too ( diagnosed with that 8-03, thought most of my "symptoms" I have been having were do to my IC and IBS, not anything to do with my "female organs"...Oh well....sorry this is so long...thanks again.
Take Care,
KF
Unread 06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
cheer up!

Hello,
I had a hysterectomy a few years ago but I too had cystitis and am very familiar with what you are going through. I just wanted to say that I was so scared for the surgery especially because of the catheter ect.. and what pain I might feel. But I felt absolutely no pain from the cystitis because they numb you from the waist down and you really cannot feel anything. And to boot I have had absolutely no problems or flare-ups since my surgery. I had endo and and adno as well... So put your worries to rest... as for the meds you need to take them. Especially after the surgery. Also don't wait until you absolutely need it. You cannot get addicted if you are taking it for pain. The only way you can get addicted is if you are just taking it for the heck of it. I hope this helps! I promise you that it will be fine! I went through it and my life has been so much better!
Unread 06-04-2005, 02:43 PM

Thank you so much for cray for your reassurances...I was just kinda worried since I am already on a pain med daily that it may make the anesthesia effects worse or the pain control after worse...I have talked to my PM Dr. and the Oncologist, they say what you did. I am still scheduled for the tah and bso on 6-28, and for my pre-op consult on 6-23, pending what the oncology tests I am having say...
Thanks again, and boy, I can hardly wait for the day I can have no pain, or less pain!!!
Take Care,
KF

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register