i have a cold and surgery in 11 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i have a cold and surgery in 11 days i have a cold and surgery in 11 days

Unread 10-02-2005, 11:50 AM
i have a cold and surgery in 11 days

i just came down with a cold, coughing and nasal drip. im having surgery in 11 days. if my cold isnt over by then will i still have the surgery??? this wait is long enough i would hate to have to wait a longer. any ideas on howto get rid of a cold fast???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2005, 12:08 PM

Try not to worry, Worried_One! If it's just a cold, it should be mostly gone by the date of your surgery, so having to postpone it is pretty unlikely. Call your doctor/surgeon tomorrow to let him/her know what's going on. You may need to go in to make sure it's just a cold so that if it's bronchitis or something like that, you can get started on some antibiotics which will hopefully get you in good shape for the 11th.

Good luck!
Unread 10-02-2005, 01:11 PM

Most colds are over within a week or so. Just make sure that if you get a bad cough with it that you see the doctor in time for antibiotics to do their job prior to your surgery. You definately would not want a bad cough post surgery. Hope you feel better soon and best wishes on your sugery.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2005, 06:02 AM

I agree that there is pleanty of time to get over the cold prior to surgery. I also got a nasty cold about 10 days post op with bhroncitis. a weeks worth of antibiotics, and zinc lozengers and I was fine. Make sure to call your doctor right away, they can kick this in the butt and get you on that operating table on schedule!
Unread 10-03-2005, 08:08 AM

hello worried one, i feel your pain. i was blessed with a wonderful cold by my dd exactly 1 week before pre-op. i too was so afraid that my surgery was going to be cancelled. i did everything i could think of to get rid of it. but i found the only thing that can get rid of it is plenty of rest and fluids. when i went in for my pre op my dr listened to my lungs and apparently they were clear. yeah, i still had a cough but no congestion. my surgery went as planned and i am now 12 post op. the only thing that i can think of is plenty of fluids, rest and prayers. good luck to you
Unread 10-03-2005, 08:43 AM

I also had my surgery with a nasty cold and cough. I went to my dr and got antibotics (just in case) and made sure to rest. Make sure you watch what kind of medications you take, alot are not allowed. I know this is crunch time when you want to get all your housework and shopping done, but if it doesn't get done because your resting, life will go on.
I hope you feel better soon!!!
Unread 10-03-2005, 09:58 AM

I had a severe cold when I had my surgery but they still did it. I took antibiotics after but they said it was ok. The only thing was that I was coughing after surgery and that was no fun but it wasn't too bad.
Lots of love,
Tara
Unread 10-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Homemade chicken noodle soup and vitamin C. Lots of rest. Of course talk to your dr to ease your mind. You'll be ok.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register