I requested a spinal instead of general anesthesia - Anyone have a spinal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I requested a spinal instead of general anesthesia - Anyone have a spinal? I requested a spinal instead of general anesthesia - Anyone have a spinal?

Unread 10-07-2010, 02:11 AM
I requested a spinal instead of general anesthesia - Anyone have a spinal?

My date for my hysterectomy changed to October the 11th because I chickened out of the Sept date. I want to go and get this over with, but, am scared to death. I have requested a spinal instead of general anesthesia, anyone out there got anythiing to say about this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Re: I requested a spinal instead of general anesthesia - Anyone have a spinal?

I have read of others here getting the spinal. It was offered to me when I had my tah/bso, but I preferred to be knocked totally out.

Unread 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks. I guess my surgery doesn't have to happen at this time. I got a second biopsy with a 2nd opinion and it came out simple hyperplasia with no atypia. They also found no atypia on the D&C. I am happy but a little nervous about these labs...has anyone ever gotten different results like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Glad to hear that you don't need the surgery at this time.

I had both general anesthesia and an epidural. It was explained to me that the general will knock me out and the epidural will eliminate the regional pain when I wake up. I am so glad to have had both. Talk to your anesthesiologist if you ever have to get scheduled for surgery. (Found out after my surgery that my anesthesiologist is one of the best at the hospital.)

Take care!
Unread 10-08-2010, 12:27 PM

I had the spinal for my TAH Sept 14th. It was the bomb!! It has nothing to do with being awake! They would never let you be awake for hysterectomy. I was totally knocked out. But with the spinal, I DID NOT have a morphine pump, so NO groggy feeling when I came out of recovery. In fact, once I got to my room in the afternoon, I never slept till later that night. Spinals last for 12-24 hours, and by then you're are on oral meds. I would take a spinal again in a heartbeat! They are not the spinals of old days, like 20 years ago when I had my C's. Much smaller needle, and no need to be flat on back for 12 hours. Like I said IT'S THE BOMB!
Unread 10-11-2010, 02:20 AM

Thanks both of you. I am going to have mine in January, as I am not tolerating this progesterone very well. I am handling it though. Another biopsy in January to see how it's going, as I don't know how 3 different things could come out differently. The doctor said to stay onthe medication uggh and we'll do another biopsy in January. I will definetely have the spinal block THANKS
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:54 AM

They have offered me both in combination, and they claim the spinal also prevents any sicness one might feel after the general.....I am dead scared of the spinal after giving birth with it and not beeing able to feel my legs for 8 hours....I dont wanna wake up after my hysto terrified that I might not get back sensation in my legs, otherwise Im sure it would be great for pain relief......
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:44 PM

I had the spinal and like yarnqueen said, ITS A BOMB!!! the best!!!!! I was not awake at all for anything, they give you something to make you sleep, when I woke up, I had ZERO pain, yes, I didnt have sensation on my legs, but that only lasted a couple of hours, it better than having pain after surgery!! I had no complaints at all....
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM

How are you now ?? You had stage 4? I don't have cancer they found out, I do have hyperplasia and a prolapsed uterus....
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:07 PM

You ladies are very brave to have a Spinal... There's no way I could even think about that. I have a bad needle phobia and I am petrified about having a TAH. I am just waiting on results from a Biopsy I had done last Thursday.
I would imagine for this kind of surgery among others, that with you being knocked out and then being on a pain pump after that the pain would be minimal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register