my diagnosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:57 PM
my diagnosis

Hi Ladies,
Well, I think my surgery is now scheduled for 4/30/02 instead of 5/14. My diagnosis came back from my d&c last week as extreme thickening of the endometrium causing my ovaries to produce too much estrogen causing abnormal bleeding thus causing anemia. My uterus is 12 wks. in size. Dr. says he has no reason to believe ovaries are affected so we decided to leave it up to him whether or not to take them once he sees them. Has anyone else had this diagnosis? I apologize for not having a more scientific description but I have been sleeping approx. 2 hrs. a night and I am exhausted. Thank goodness he gave me Ambien. I am a little nervous about taking it tonite.

I would appreciate anyone's info on the above and soon so I decide to take the Ambien or not.

I need a good night's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 11:09 PM
hyperplasia

Hi, Ktr! You may already be asleep, but you can read this in the morning! What you probably have is proliferative endometrium or hyperplasia, which is what the lining of the uterus does when it doesn't have balanced levels of estrogen/progesterone. I had that because I rarely ovulated for years. (I had 2 endometrial biopsies which showed the above, and took Provera when needed, to keep it under control until it didn't work any more--and Depo Provera didn't help, either.) Here is a link to a good thread discussing hyperplasia, and there are more links there you can check out. The WebMD site is very good in explaining hyperplasia. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ht=hyperplasia . I had wanted to keep at least one ovary, but I let my dr make the decision during surgery when he could examine them. They were atrophic, had cysts, and probably were barely functioning, so he removed them. I really was at borderline risk for ovarian cancer, so I'm relieved now that I don't have to worry about that. I guess I'm lucky in that I feel great on Estrace. Good luck in your research. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-11-2002, 05:20 AM
thanks

Thanks Ruthie,
Yes, it is endometrial hyperplasia. But I am not sure if it is simple or complex, atypical or typical. My DH was supposed to be taking notes. Oh, well! They did a hemoglobin count on me and are going to call this am with the results so I will ask again. After reading all the stories, I feel even more uncertain about leaving my ovaries. My DH is started to get irritated with me because I am trying to find out as much info as I can. He thinks it is causing undue stress!!! Like facing all this alone is not enough stress. I have always liked to be informed of all possible risks and options.
Does the hyperplasia cause the enlarged uterus??? Thanks to you and all the other wonderful ladies on this site who are here to support each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 01:33 PM
my diagnosis

Hi, again! Hyperplasia can cause the uterus to thicken and enlarge, as well as fibroids growing in the lining. As for the ovary question, that is a controversial one. You can leave the decision up to the dr after he/she can examine them during surgery if you have trust they will act in your best interest. That's what I did. I was 48, but wanted to keep one ovary if it was healthy. Both were atrophic, had cysts, and probably were barely functioning, so my dr removed them. I was also borderline risk for ovarian cancer, so now I'm relieved that they are out and I don't have to worry about that. I think for most of us, the more info we can gather, the more informed we can be and make the best decision for ourselves. But then there is the question of HRT. Some women have difficulty finding the right type and dose to make them feel good. I was lucky to feel great on Estrace (after first trying Premarin for 6 weeks). So discuss with your dr about the ovary question and about hormone replacement. Hopefully you can come to a satisfactory decision that you are at peace about. s and best wishes!
Ruthie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register