What do I need to know about my upcoming hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I need to know about my upcoming hysterectomy? What do I need to know about my upcoming hysterectomy?

Unread 10-06-2014, 06:48 PM
What do I need to know about my upcoming hysterectomy?

I'm scheduled for a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Nov. 7th and this is all I know. It's been almost two weeks since my schuelded appointment and I haven't heard anything. Will someone call me soon? What about my insurance coverage? I read on many post about FMLA what is it? Do I need it? How do I get it? I teach elementary school and I gave my principal a heads up on my leave and she never mentioned anything about FMLA so what do I do? I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol do I need a medical clearance? I need help I just know I'm having surgery on Nov 7th. If you can help with any questions please do. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Re: What now

You will discuss any medical issues in your pre op tesing which you will have to call and make an appointment for. Thats when they ask you all of your history. They also touch a little on the insurance also. That will all be prequalified. The FML I don't know about as I have none..sorry I can't help..More advise on the way I am sure from more experienced sisters.
Unread 10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Re: What do I need to know about my upcoming hysterectomy?

Fmla is the family medical leave act, you have so much time you can take in a year. It guarantees that your job is still there after recovery. Ask your boss if you need to file for it and uf you do they give you a paper for your doctor to fill out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karend79 View Post
Fmla is the family medical leave act, you have so much time you can take in a year. It guarantees that your job is still there after recovery. Ask your boss if you need to file for it and uf you do they give you a paper for your doctor to fill out.
If you have a human resources dept., ask them. They should know about fmla. This federal law protects your leave. As long as you play by its "rules, for lack of a better word, it protects your ability to return to your job. it can also be invoked if you need to see your m.d. for follow up appointments once you return to work. Best of luck to you. I am less than 24 hours out of a davinci hysterectomy and I am doing well. :-)
Unread 10-07-2014, 05:12 AM

Since u are at a school working just call h r with questions set up a sub to be there for 4 weeks. Hopefully u can get one sub fir the whole time. I have my tlh in a week. I'll let u know how it goes. I have high blood pressure and they said I can take my pill in the a.m with a sip of water. Read the lists on this site to prepare. They are really great I feel very ready since I have done everything on the lists. Hope u have sick days saved up. But if not fmla let's u have time off without fear of losing ur job. They have to save it fir you. Most likely u have sick time u can use. And all will be well. Or even have short term disability where u will get 60-80% of your pay while u r off. Check with your benifits person because if you know ahead if time when u will be gone they can have it all set for into get your short term disability pay sent to you. Some employers need u off 6 weeks to get short term $ so have your dr fill out the short term disability papers u get from your benifits worker. Just make calls to benifits personnel and h r. They with help you through everything. Good luck. See u on the other side if surgery
Unread 10-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Re: What do I need to know about my upcoming hysterectomy?

Non Fla recommendation. Ask any questions you may have day of surgery. In pre-operating room I chatted with the hospital gynecologist. We soon discovered that my paperwork with consent for a vaginal sling hadn't been created! Despite the fact I had a separate appointment to determine my need and said yes. Could you imagine my reaction when I found out it hadn't been done?! I would've flipped out. That could have meant another surgery. Ask, ask ask! Best of luck to you for a healthy recovery.
Unread 10-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc1010 View Post
I'm scheduled for a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Nov. 7th and this is all I know. It's been almost two weeks since my schuelded appointment and I haven't heard anything. Will someone call me soon? What about my insurance coverage? I read on many post about FMLA what is it? Do I need it? How do I get it? I teach elementary school and I gave my principal a heads up on my leave and she never mentioned anything about FMLA so what do I do? I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol do I need a medical clearance? I need help I just know I'm having surgery on Nov 7th. If you can help with any questions please do. Thanks in advance
I work for a school district and am scheduled for a tlh on 10/24/14. I went to the district office and asked for a Fmla form. It guarantees that I have a job when I return. Once I got it I filled it out and it stated that I had to take all allotted sick days then it would kick in up to 6 weeks. I also had to have it in prior to the 30th of the month prior to surgery because it had to be approved by the school board and district superintendent. I was also told that they had never turned down a request. I may be off longer than 6 weeks because I have preschoolers that weigh over 35lbs. The dr. Will let the school know, and they will ok it per the Drs. Request. I hope this helps. Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register