Post Op pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Post Op pain

I had my surgery yesterday, and I'm excited that it's all behind me. My doctor said I was a model patient and that that my surgery went very smoothly. I was feeling pretty good at the hospital but now that I'm home my pain seems to be much worse. I have stayed on top of my pain meds, but doesn't seem to be controlled like it was in the hospital.
Two questions:
1.When the nurse took my weight before my surgery I weighed in at 105 pounds, but when I got home today and weighed on my scales my weight had shot up to 112. I know my scales are accurate because I weighed the same thing at home yesterday as I did at the hospital. How can I possibly weigh that much more in the time span of 1 day?
2. When do these gas pains go away? It feels like it is the rib area. My incisions don't really hurt except for the one by my belly button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Re: Post Op pain

I had my surgery one week ago today. I had gained 7 lbs from the morning of my surgery and when I came home the next morning. I had been looking forward to a good night's sleep that first night home but ended up in the bathroom every 2 hours. I dropped those extra fluid lbs in about 3 days.

I was able to keep a head of the pain so not sure what to say there. I always took the stronger narcotic at night and that seem to work for me.

Good Luck

Kay
Unread 09-18-2009, 02:49 PM

I was advised to take a stool softener which I have been doing, although I am still having some issues with gas it is much better then it was the first couple of days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Even though I had 4 pounds of fat (and about 1/2 pound of uterus) removed during my surgery, I came home weighing 5 pounds more than when I entered the hospital. (Weighed at hospital both times.)

Those IV's they have you on (almost from the moment I checked in in my case) pumped me full of fluid, and it takes several days for the fluid to work through your system.

Even if you don't feel "puffy", you are probably carrying several pounds of extra fluid around with you.

I found that at about the 1-1/2 week post-op mark, I could feel the fluid really coming out. Try to limit your salt, keep drinking water, and keep walking... that will help the system get back to normal.

Unread 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM

Hi!
Yeah, it's for sure the fluids. You'll notice when you're expelling it because you'll be a pee machine. I was in the hosptial still when it started running through me, and I was horrified at being up every 20 minutes to piddle.
The pain will hopefully let up in intensity soon. I know you're staying on top of your pain meds, but I'm going to say STAY ON TOP OF THEM again. What did they send you home with? Do you have Tylenol to alternate with the narcotics? In the hospital, if I whimpered, I got a shot of something in the IV and some vicodin to take orally and it was nice...we don't have quite the same thing happening at home.....
You MADE IT! You are on the OTHER SIDE! And we are here and we will help you get through these first days and weeks. You aren't alone!
ps--- as you are up and walking around, the gas will start working it's way out. Uncomfy, I know. I've heard some sisters saying that Gas X worked really well for them, and of course do stay on the stool softeners or Milk of Magnesia to help!! XOXOXOOX

Nicki
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:30 PM

wow!! Home 24 hours after surgery?!?! Your a real trooper!! That seems way to early. I was in the hospital for 4 days and when i got home i was really tired and weak. You are doing great if your already home. I wouldn't worry about the weight , it is water weight and keep in mind your body has gone thru alot of trauma. Keep your head up and remember we are all here for you!!!
Unread 09-18-2009, 07:05 PM

The weight could be from the IV, they put alot of fluids in. Phazyme is great for the gas pains. Your intestines and everything else were moved around for your surgery, its going to be sore. The gas also can be in more places than your intestines. I've had them in my shoulders which is horribly painful. You are going to have lots of healing pains. Advil, Tylenol. I had Demerol IV for 2 days. It totally takes the edge off. Ice packs on your tummy, heating pad for your back, pillows for support, lay on your side, rest, rest, rest!!!
Unread 09-19-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice and the words of encouragement. I'm up and about a little today and feeling somewhat better. Although I had a pretty uncomfortable night. Got up to go to the bathroom about 3:30 A.M. and decided to take a pain pill ( in the dark), needless to say the bottle and all the pills went flying out of my hand and went all over the bedroom floor. DH got out of bed and on his hands and knees until he located everyone of them. We have a tiny little yorkie and we were afraid that if she chewed on even one of them it might kill her. Obviously I won't try to take my meds in the dark anymore.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register