Having Anxiety Today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having Anxiety Today Having Anxiety Today

Unread 04-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Having Anxiety Today

I am not sure why but I was doing ok for the past week. Today I have overwhelming anxiety about the possiblity of needing a blood transfusion. I am not afraid of the transfusion. I am freaking that just thinking that I would need that prior to surgery scares me that I am a high risk surgery. Also listening to stories of AVM's and me not having suffient blood to begin with?? I am really bordering on not going through with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Re: Having Anxiety Today

I understand your concerns. I had the same anxieties. I am now 4.5 weeks post op from a TAH/BSO. My blood levels were extremely low prior to surgery. I had to receive a Lupron injection to assist with getting my levels up and had been advised of a possible blood transfusion.

No transfusion was required. So, don't stress out too much.
All will work out for you as well.
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:45 AM

what are you having done? Have they said for sure that you will need a blood transfusion? What is scaring you? The blood itself? Maybe you can have a trusted family member donate beforehand if that's the case. Blood products are very safe nowdays. Everything will work out, take a deep breath. Maybe you should see your surgeon again and take a list of questions, I did that before my surgery and he spent 1 hour with me answering all my concerns, that helped me a lot. I had lsh 10 days ago. Hang in there! We're all here for you to support you! Sending you a hug! Kirstin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks Kirsten, I wish you great recovery. I am having vaginal on 5/3. It scares me to have surgery, but the thought of not having enough blood is looming on my mind today. I have a third blood panel in two weeks. I have a list of questions written down; really thanks too the info. from this site. Thanks for taking the time too help ease my mind today. i hope you have a wonderful Easter. Gina
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Thanks for listening. It has been overwhelming anxiety today with the thought there will not be enough blood in my body. I am taking iron and doing all the things my surgeon told me too do. I have another blood panel in two weeks. I guess the decision will be made then. I know everything will be fine. I wish you the best too. Happy Easter. Gina
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Ginabarker,

I am sorry that my AVM is a contributing factor to you being scared as it wasn't meant to scare you (I am scared cuz it is a reality for me) as it is very rare disorder. For me, my surgeon was doing everything possible (as I was anemic due to the heavy bleeding) to get my blood count up by giving me once a month Lupron injections, getting me to take 3 iron pills a day, I also took a conscience effort to eat more beef. With all of this, my blood count and iron levels had come up as they were monitored by the many interval blood tests to see where my levels were at. Thankfully, slowly but surely they had come up. The hospital then didn't find it necessary to give me EPO injections (helps the bone marrow to produce blood cells) and iron injections. So perhaps you could discuss all these options with your surgeon cuz maybe your hospital has these options as well. Just remember why you are having the surgey...to feel healthy again.
Unread 04-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Oh please don't be sorry.......I am so concerned because I have anemia due to heavy bleeding. My surgeon said mine is iron defiency anemia. I too was told to take three iron pills each day and increase my beef intake. The doctor called and said my blood count went down and she wouldn't perform the surgery without the transfusion. I got upset, so she told me to take the pills, beef etc.. I am so afraid of surgery (Idon't know why) but I want to go in knowing that nothing was left unchecked. I had a CT Scan of the uterus so I am going to ask if AVM was eliminated by the scan or even looked for. I understand the disorder is rare and you are in my prayers and it will be OK. I have been researching it and there are very good results. The similarities are there and I want too mention it too my surgeon at my pre-op. I have learned alot on this site. I am just scared silly, but please don't think that anything you said contributed. That's just me a worrier, unfortunately. I do appreciate the kind message. Please take care. It sounds like you are in excellent care. Thanks, Gina
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Ginabarker,

As I was reading your situation re: iron deficiency anemia etc, your situation sounds similiar to mine. I would ask about other options if they are available in your area. I am soo thankful that my hospital has other options available to me. Keep taking those iron pills...oh do you know that taking iron pills with vitamin C (take with juice that has vitamin C, or take while eating oranges, or take with vitamin C pills - these are only suggestions as I am not a doctor but the seem to work for me) increases the chance of maximum absorption? Also, don't take iron pills while eating wheat products and/or dairy as that will interfere with absorption of the iron pills. And yes, it doesn't hurt to ask about AVM cuz then that would ease your mind if this can be eliminated as a possible problem in your situation. Keeping in mind, that what I have is a very rare disorder. I am soo thankful that I am in good hands and very blessed that this was caught. God is definitely looking out for me as I firmly believe it was HIS doing that my blood disorder was detected when it was...right down to the wire..one day before surgery. Take care and I wish you all the best..
P.S. I too am a worrier by nature and so we have that in common as well.
Unread 04-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Gina,
I imagine that this has to be very scary for you and maybe your doctor inadvertently made you worry more. I was so terrified prior to mine because of worries about bowel complications(perforation, having to have a cholostomy bag) that I was ready to call it off. After talking to my doctor I felt much better, Hopefully with you doing all the things your doctor suggested, your levels will improve. Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.
Unread 04-04-2010, 05:32 PM

Thank you so much

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register