Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy 1/7: three day bowel prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/7: three day bowel prep Upcoming hysterectomy 1/7: three day bowel prep

Unread 01-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/7: three day bowel prep

i thought I had scheduled and prepared for everything but nope. Forgot the poop. Bowel prep that is. My doc has me starting a 3 yes three day bowel prep. I had scheduled appointments and things to do during this time. I have a daughter I have to drive to school. Oh my goodness. Now I'm scrambling around trying to fix my schedule. If I'm stuck on the toilet I obviously can't do these other things. So all you preop ladies, do not forget that for 1 to 3 days before surgery you will be home bound. No kid duties, work, appointments, etc. Just you and the John. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Re: Pre op bowel prep

Wow, 3 days? I would think that would be almost unhealthy. Do you have to drink a bowel prep all 3 of the days, or just do a liquid diet for a couple followed by the prep? I just had to do mine the evening before surgery, some lucky souls don't have to do any! That is worse than the colonoscopy prep! Good luck.
Unread 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
Wow, 3 days? I would think that would be almost unhealthy. Do you have to drink a bowel prep all 3 of the days, or just do a liquid diet for a couple followed by the prep? I just had to do mine the evening before surgery, some lucky souls don't have to do any! That is worse than the colonoscopy prep! Good luck.
I was cut off from all solid foods 24 hours prior to OR time, and had to start on ducolax and miralax about 20 hours prior. I was still emptying the morning of surgery in the pre-op waiting area! Not sure what is all involved with the three day prep, but I read enough to understand it is very important to follow your surgeon's specific recommendations. I had davinci assisted LVH Monday morning, and ended up needing 4+ hours of repair around my bowel, bladder, uterus - this would have been VERY challenging even with the fine motor ability of the robot had my bowel not been empty. Get the help you need and get thru this. Soon you'll be on the other side and needing MORE help, so it's good to practice saying "yes please" to offers for assistance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Re: Pre op bowel prep

I am having a TLH on 1/16. I have to do a fleet enema the evening before and I can eat or drink anything I want until midnight.

I would have your same concern with your bowel prep. Sounds unreasonable.
Unread 01-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/7: three day bowel prep

1st day is a prescription suppository that is inserted vaginally. 2nd day magnesium citrate. Liquid diet. 3rd day fleet enema.
Unread 01-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia chick View Post
1st day is a prescription suppository that is inserted vaginally.
Seems an odd spot to put a bowel prep suppository ... You might want to check on this.

Have to get a laugh from something when talking about bowel preps.

With your three day prep you'll need to be very careful about adequate hydration and getting the electrolytes you need.
Unread 01-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Thank you all so much and all of those to come be preparred, lol.
Apparently the vag suppository is to kill bacteria there. Our hospital removed the morcellator so my davinci surgery will have the vag removal along with perineal repair for cystocele. I'm glad the doc is being to careful and I will do as told. Thank you for the reminder to hydrate and I'll get plenty of Gatorade
Unread 01-03-2015, 07:30 AM

The mag citrate was not as bad as I thought, at least the bottle is small! Have never done an enema though. So you are doing the magnesium citrate the day before and the fleet the day of?
Unread 01-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Suppository Sunday
Mag citrate Monday
Fleet enema Tuesday
Surgery Wednesday
Unread 01-03-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia chick View Post
Suppository Sunday
Mag citrate Monday
Fleet enema Tuesday
Surgery Wednesday
I am having my TLH on Monday. Tomorrow I am on a liquid diet and have to drink the mag citrate. Not looking forward to not having milk products or being able to eat. Hope the day goes by quickly.

Best of luck on your journey. We are almost on the other side

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register