Keep Cervix or Vaginal Cuff? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep Cervix or Vaginal Cuff? Keep Cervix or Vaginal Cuff?

Unread 07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Keep Cervix or Vaginal Cuff?

I'm worried about getting my cervix taken out. I know I won't have to worry about cerical cancer, but I worry about prolapse.

One of the things I hope to achieve through hyst is giving my poor squished up bladder some room. Wouldn't keeping my cerivx help to give my bladder some support after my uterus is gone?

I hear a lot of stories about women having prolase after vaginal cuffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2006, 12:50 PM

I have a vaginal cuff and have no problems with it. Yes I am only 7 weeks post op, but I didn't have any infections, silver nitrate or anything. My surgery went very text book. DH says he can not feel any difference between what "was" there and what "is" there . Frankly I like the idea of no cervix, means no more paps!!
Unread 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM

what a great post. I am stressing about keeping my cervix or having it taken out. I all ready had a good chunk of my cervix taken out around 8 years ago due to cervical cancer, so now I'm thinking it's time for it to go! What has your doctor said. My doctor is waiting for my pre-op appointment to discuss this further. I am seeing him on August 16th and scheduled for surgery on the 25th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM

Hi Sheila,

I had a LSH and kept my cervix. In pre-op, my Dr told me that he thought the cervix helps with bladder and pelvic support and with sex.

You can get varying opinions on whether to keep the cervix or not and I am sure in talks with your Dr. you will make the right choice.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 07-29-2006, 10:36 PM

Hi Sheila

As Mary implied, there's a lot of controversy about this! The doctors can't even seem to agree. I wanted to have the least invasive surgery that would be appropriate for my situation, and for me that ended up being an LSH (laporoscopic supracervical hyst - kept ovaries and cervix). My doctor knew that I wanted to keep my cervix, but also knew that if it became necessary to remove it during surgery, that was ok with me. She said that either way she would make sure everything was well supported to prevent prolapse. Make sure you speak with your doctor about this concern. In order to keep the cervix, your doctor would most likely want you to have had many years of normal pap smears.

Because I kept my cervix, I'm still able to track my cycles by noting the change in my dischage at ovulation, and by the very small amount of spotting I get on day one of my cycle. I'm happy to have these indications of where I am in my cycle, and of my hormone levels.

Regarding the small amount of spotting I get, it's referred to as a mini period. Some women who have supracervical hysts have these to varying degrees. For me, it just happens one day, and it's only enough to be noticeable when I wipe. I never need a pantyliner. My doctor said that she cored and cauterized into the cervical canal during surgery to remove as much endometrial tissue possible to prevent monthly bleeding. It's not an exact science, however, so there's always the chance of having some post-op monthly bleeding (although for most women it's minimal if it happens) if you keep your cervix.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you and your doctor decide.
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:52 PM

After almost 6 years with a vaginal cuff since my cervix was removed at the time of my hyst, I can tell you that I have had no problems at all.

Unread 07-31-2006, 06:47 AM
Vaginal cuff?

I had my cervix removed and I can tell you I was concerned re making love without this, as in, 'would it be looser' etc. I can tell you no, my dh tells me it is tighter and I feel that as well.
I am in the UK and you ladies in the USA refer to 'cuffs' please tell me what this is and if my cervix was removed should or did I have one?
I need to know so I can ask my doc.
Thanks, take care ladies.
Unread 07-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Re: Keep Cervix or Vaginal Cuff?

i didnt want a vaginal cuff or the extra healing time required. i had the lsh, kept my cervix and ovaries and have no regrets at all. i dont mind having a pap..i'd rather do that than go to the dentist! i get my yearly pap and also get bloodwork, breast exam, mammogram, yearly physical, etc.
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Arkashan -

The "cuff" is the vaginal cuff it is where the vagina was closed after cervix removal.

I hope that helps

G.
Unread 12-17-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
After almost 6 years with a vaginal cuff since my cervix was removed at the time of my hyst, I can tell you that I have had no problems at all.

Thats a relief. I am two weeks post op and still nervous. I will be very nervous about being intimate again, but will work at it. The bad stories, though rare, are frightening. I am very active, lift a lot of things, backpack, mountain bike, chop wood...etc, etc. I hope to be confidant I can do all of that again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register