What to remove: what to keep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to remove: what to keep? What to remove: what to keep?

Unread 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
What to remove: what to keep?

Hello Im new here, was just told this week that I have cysts on both my ovaries. Left one is causing lots of pain, has 4-5 on it. But the right one has at least 6 cysts, with less pain. I was tested for infection, thyroid and for ovarian cancer, all of those tests came back great. My options are 1. take left ovary and do nothing else 2. take left, do ablation. 3. take left, take uterus, leave rt ovary so i don't go through menopause. 4. take it all, there is a chance once on the table that I might also have endometriosis.

So if anyone has any advice or experience to say please let me know. As of right now i have not decided what all im taking out or leaving in.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Re: what to remove:what to keep?

I am sorry you have this difficult decision to make. I really don't have advice but wanted to offer hugs. I would talk to the dr and see what opinion he/she has. I would also do some research, you are certainly in a great place for that here, and weigh all your options. Good luck in your decision making process.
Unread 03-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Re: What to remove: what to keep?

I went through the same thing recently. My right ovary was covered with cysts, which would always rupture and sometimes even hemmorage. I was no doubt getting it, along with uterus and fallopian tubes out. My left ovary has had cysts off and on too. I was afraid to.get it removed though due to surgical menopause and hrt (I am only 29) so I went back and forth for weeks. Finally, the day before surgery I spoke with my dr and we agreed to leave my cervix and left ovary. So far I am doing great. No lag in the remainibg ovary and my attitude is great. Before surgery I suffered depression, anxiety, etc. of course everyone is diff. but my dr says it is ideal to keep one ovary for the natural hormones. I hope this helps and my prayers are with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Im 32, so the thought of HRT is scary. Today, I am leaning towards just taking it all! I have no use for those parts anymore, with the exception of the hormones. Still not sure what I want to do, but thank you both so much for replying to my post. Until this week it had been years since i visited my gyn. Guess I should not have let things get this bad. I hate to be poked and prodded on. Now I have some tough decisions to make. Thanks for the support and hugs
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM

I think I have decided against a Hysterectomy. I am afraid of the results. However I have to have my left ovary removed for sure. I will also ask more about BC pills to help reduce the chances of more cysts and to possibly help get rid of the ones I have on my right ovary. Thanks for the replies

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register