3.5 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO - hair falling out by the hand full | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3.5 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO - hair falling out by the hand full 3.5 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO - hair falling out by the hand full

Unread 06-06-2016, 05:30 AM
3.5 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO - hair falling out by the hand full

Hi Hystersisters,
Has anyone else noticed a huge amount of hair falling out? I have long hair and it has always been very full and thick, now I am getting hands full of hair falling out every day when I brush it. I had DVH/ BSO the 12 and another surgery for leaky bladder the 18th. Could it just be from the anesthesia two weeks in a row and the lack of hormones now?
When will it stop falling out? At this rate I will be bald in another month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2016, 06:16 AM

Hair loss after a hysterectomy can have several causes. I started noticing hair loss myself, which my doctor attributed to the stress from the surgery. Because you had your ovaries removed, the loss of your hormones could be part of the reason; it can also be from a slow thyroid, or a deficiency of iron or B vitamins. We also have an article on hair loss, which discusses this in greater detail. I would recommend seeing your doctor, because he can order tests to find out what's going on, so that you can be properly treated for it. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 06-06-2016, 06:21 AM

I guess if it doesn't stop soon I will have thyroid test done. I can't do hrt due to cancer. I am on b complex and do not need iron.
Maybe I will get it cut short so it doesn't look so bad when I brush handfuls out. I guess I was just not expecting this to be so much every day.
Thank you Tiger Eye!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Re: 3.5 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO - hair falling out by the hand full

I have had hair loss after all my surgeries. Unfortunately it can last for months. I am on the bandwagon that stress causes it too. We have recently come through some extreme stress and the hairloss is back. I have found that Biotin works wonders. I get a big bottle at Sam's Club that lasts a long time. I think the bottle suggests 1 a day. This is a B vitamin. I usually take 6 a day. I do this for a few weeks then cut back. It will take a few weeks for the hairloss to slow down. Love this stuff. Good luck.
Unread 06-10-2016, 03:24 AM

I'm one year and three months post op tah... I was severe anemic due to heavy bleeding. My hair came out like that as well. I just couldn't stand to see my hair coming out like that so I decided to cut it off... My ponytail was as thin as my pointer finger... My hair was long also... I didn't want to cut my hair but I felt i had to... Just to stop seeing it coming out like that. I'm not saying that you should do what I did... You can try other things like the biotin that someone mentioned... But anyway that was last year... Now my hair is healthy and strong... Plus I'm no longer anemic. All is well no matter what befalls you. Happy healing sis... God bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register