10 Days to my big day! what to bring to hospital?? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 Days to my big day! what to bring to hospital?? 10 Days to my big day! what to bring to hospital??

Unread 09-15-2005, 03:10 PM
10 Days to my big day! what to bring to hospital??

Dear Ladies ...

As far as the travel alarm went, my room had a large clock and there was always something going on so I didn't need the clock to wake up in the morning.

After my first surgery I did alot of cross stich.

After the TAH, DH taught me beading and I've been making earrings, bracelets and necklaces ever since.

Here's wishing you all a speedy recovery and sending many gentle s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2005, 06:49 PM

I've had four major surgeries, not all which were planned. The most important things when I was there was to have earplugs, chapstick or lotion (in a pinch you CAN use lotion as chapstick), and a brush and something to tie my hair back with (I have long hair). I would recommend a magazine or a book with which you are already familiar for reading material. Medication doesn't help you follow an actual plot. The other thing is to take phone numbers with you. When you're on medications even numbers you're real familiar with don't always come to you.
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:34 PM

Even though this thread is "what do I bring" the question was...
What do I do during recovery?????

For those of you recovering before Christmas....
I made string ball ornaments one year (not during a recovery). You need small balloons, embroidery floss or crochet cotton, stiffening liquid (decoupage glue works too) and something small to hang inside the ball.
I also covered my lap with one of those vinyl tablecloths so I didn't drip on the bed or chair.
Blow up the balloon. Run the thread through the stiffening liquid (I poured it into a Cool whip bowl) and wrap it around the balloon until you "spiderweb" cover it. Set it aside to dry.
The next day, pop the balloon, remove the pieces and tie on a hanger-string. IF you want to hang something inside, try to fit it into the balloon before you blow it up. Each ball takes about 10 minutes + drying time
A small ribbon can also be attached with the year and your initials...or something of the sort.

I got the original instructions from "CRAFTS magazine - Deck the Halls treasury of Christmas Crafts ISBN 0-86573-187-x or UCP code 5294401062 from Creative Publishing. Page 108

I will be working on my knitting and sewing. I have 3 sweaters to finish for Christmas and about 20 pairs of boxers and PJ pants.

Maybe a new thread should be opened for these wanted to share their recovery ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2005, 07:59 AM

Good luck. My experience was the less you bring the better. I wish I had had a sports bottle for the water I was drinking. I would push the morphine pump hold the glass of water with the straw and promptly drop it with on myself, the bed or the floor.
Unread 09-16-2005, 08:11 AM
great ideas

and a calling card)
Unread 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM

I took with me

A night gown
A robe
Slippers
socks

Sandles for the trip home
A loose comfy dress to wear home
High brief Undie
Bra
Some pads
Deodrant
small shampoo &Conditioner

My CD walkman w/
"sounds of nature CD" EXCELLENT 5*'s

That was pretty much it. The day of the surgery, I told my DH to just take my clothes I wore there home with him.

A nice thing to have when you get home and also for the ride home..is
"BendY Straws"
" A tummy pillow in the car"
" Also slip a Clothes pin in your car for your seat belt.

It stops it from putting pressure on your tummy, clip it up where the seat belt comes out of the side of your car once you get it situated on you, and then just clip it near the side ( where it comes out) and it won't tighten up on you.
Unread 09-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Hair Cut

This is a great thread and I've gotten a bunch of ideas of what I'll be bringing with me to the caste. But I've got a question that I haven't seen addressed.

I'm really not vain, but I know I feel better when my hair's not greasy, messy, yucky looking. Right now it's chin length and not exactly long enough to put in a pony tail. I know I'll want to shampoo it during my visit and after I'm home, but I doubt I'll want to use my blow dryer on it. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Should I get it cut really short so it can air dry or have my dh or dd blow it dry for me.

Good luck to everyone with an upcoming date. I should know within a week when mine is.

Jackie
Unread 09-16-2005, 11:21 AM

I got my hair colored a week before surgery, day three after I took a shower, shaved my legs and I was able to blow dry my hair in the castle. Felt so much better at that point. I have had no trouble blow drying it or using the curling iron either. I just dont shower during the day when i am at home wait for DH to get home, just incase I spill)
Unread 09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi, Pegsaa!

I'm totally with you on the hair issue. I HAVE to wash it; it gets so greasy if I don't, but I don't want to worry about blow-drying in the castle. Here's what I do: My hair is basically straight and a little longer than chin length, but in cases like this, after I wash it, I comb out the tangles and then put a spray gel in it and scrunch it so that it looks wavy. Then I put it back in a hair band. After it dries, when I brush it out, it has a nice texture to it, so even though my hair is fine, it will hold its shape but look soft and slightly wavy. This is a real time-saver, but the thing is that I always get compliments on it.
Unread 09-16-2005, 01:47 PM

Well, I've heard many of you talked about a back scratch (however is spelled!!)...but, instead I bought a bath sponge (the ones you use with bath gel) attached to a stick?...I don't know if you can visualize it...but I figure it out, if I can't bend, at least I'm going to be able to wash my leggs, etc. with that (is about a feet long)...and when is dry, is hard enough to use it for a good scratch!!!...I'll let you know if it was a good as I'm hoping it will be!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register