I'm new | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-12-2003, 07:26 PM
I'm new

Hi I'm Star, I am going to have a Hysterectomy next Wednesday, March 19...I am finding the closer I get the more questions that pop in my head...and I am also a little nervous..
A brief description of myself--I am 39 years old and I have 7 fibroids, a tipped uterus. I have horrible monthly's and pms...my periods last 14-17 days I get awful headaches and backaches and every time I miss at least 2 days of work...I am exhausted from them..we have tried a few methods of treatment and nothing worked so Dr. and I decided to go this route...I guess he is going to leave my ovaries in but someone told me that I will still have PMS then---that is not good cause my PMS is wicked...but then maybe it won't be so bad it I don't have all the other stuff any knowledge on this would be very helpful to me---I am finding how much I don't know each day.

Thanks
~Star2003~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Hi Star,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I had my TAH last May for fibroids. I was also 39 and kept both of my ovaries. The PMS the first couple of months was horrible, but now it's leveled out to where I almost can't tell where I am in my cycle. A lot of the ladies have said that the PMS symptoms do get milder.

There's a lot of great information here that can help you prepare for your surgery. If you haven't already, go to the homepage (click the Princess logo at the top fo this page to access the homepage) and check out the Articles-Hints section about halfway down the first column, especially the Pre-Op section. And feel free to post any questions or concerns you may have. We're here for you whenever you need us.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 03-12-2003, 07:59 PM
I'm new

This must be the 39 year old section I'm also 39, and have a TVH scheduled for April 21st also because of fibroids and heavy bleeding. I never really had PMS until this past year - but man, is it awful!!!

I'm not looking forward to another surgery, but I am so ready to feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2003, 08:07 PM
39 club lol

I like that---so this is it--we turn 39 and have to go into this...at least we all have each other...THANK GOD!! I already feel better knowing that I am here with you all...I am thankful I found this place.
PMS for me has been totally horrible for about 6 years--getting worse each year....but I feel if I'm still going to have the PMS they should just take my ovaries too...but maybe I'm wrong...Dr. knows best I guess...I'm not sure I'm going to give it a lot of thought and see by Monday how I feel--I might have him take it all..
What do you girls think? Input please
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:15 PM
I'm new

I don't know about the ovary thing! I think only one of my ovaries may have to go, because of the PCOS. Will hormone replacement cause PMS symptoms too?
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:26 PM
I'm new

Hi Star,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I am so sorry you have been dealing with all that is going on and then have surgery to boot.

I know the decision wether or not to keep your ovaries is a very tough and frustrating one indeed.

It is a good thing to keep healthy organs if at all possible. They can still provide you with your own natural hormones for quite some time. But, it is also a very personal decision only you can make, along with the help of your doctor. Please dont hesitate to talk this over with them, even this close to your surgery date.

Please be aware that if you leave your ovaries in, they could possibly go to sleep for a while from the trauma of the surgery. They will wake back up though. The capacity of service afterwards varies from woman to woman.

I, unfortunatly, didnt have a choice but to have both of my ovaries and tubes taken out. I had loads of scar tissue and adhesions from previous infection and surgery. I used to have vicious bouts of PMS. Your body has stores of your own hormones to use up after surgery and I still got PMS for several months, although not as bad. Now I only have a day or two every month where things seem to bother me more than usual or that I cry easier but it is getting less and less as time goes on. I am starting to really enjoy my new life without all the pain, problems and mess. No worries anymore either.

I am on HRT since my hyst and doing very well with it...I think anyway...no menopause symptoms unless I change my patch late.

Like I said before, please talk to your doctor. They know your situation better and will be happy to help you decide.

Best of luck to you and best wishes on your castle stay and recovery!

s
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:28 PM
I'm new

I'm not sure about that..Do you mean Estrogen? Are they totally taking everything? I know if they do take everything your Dr. will start you on Estrogen or something like that..it might take a little bit to get it perfect but from what I am told the pills or the patch work. (I remember teasing my old boss--she use to get crabby and I would ask her if it was time for a new patch---see what I get for that---payback lol now it's my turn....
If you find out any answers please let me know--like I said before I am lost with all of this but I because of my mom and boss I do know some of it.

Unread 03-12-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm new

Well that is another question...I had my tubes tied 13 years ago. Will they just take them out too?
What does it mean the ovaries might fall asleep? will I grow a beard while this is happening??
I saw a picture and it looks like the uterus holds everything together---so when they take that out---what is going to keep my ovaries up where they should be??
(Am I hyping out or what??? LOL if I'm like this now can you see me next week--like the day before of my)
Thanks for all of you help and input--this really helps me a lot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register