Doc did not come to see me post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doc did not come to see me post-op Doc did not come to see me post-op

Unread 10-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Doc did not come to see me post-op

I am so upset right now. I had my surgery, via DaVinci robot, on Wednesday. Doc came out and spoke to my family, but did not come see me and just gave standing orders for my release the next day. I called his office and was told that is the way he handles all his robotic procedures. I am so upset right now.

I am doing pretty good. Just normal pain with gas, no BM yet, having trouble getting in and out of bed, but other than that, doing pretty good, although I can't eat much since I'm so nauseous.

I feel like he just removed all my girly parts and left me to the wolves. I feel very betrayed right now. Anybody else have this experience? The castle was wonderful, though. All the nurses and techs were right there for me whenever I needed anything, both pre-op and post-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Re: Doc did not come to see me post-op

Was it an overnight stay, or same day? If it was same day sometimes they come in recovery and you don't recall. If you went to a hospital room later or overnight, he or his PA or NP should have seen you, IMO. I don't blame you for being upset. I thought seeing the patient was part of the care. That is disappointing. I hope the postops go better.
Unread 10-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Actually, I have had this with all of my surgeries except my hysterectomy with appendectomy (not da Vinci)--then I had complications that required lots of doctor visits!

For my first lap, I never saw my doctor before or after surgery--I didn't see him one tiny bit the whole time I was at the surgical center.

For my last lap, after my hysterectomy, I saw my surgeon prior to surgery for a few minutes and that was it. I didn't see him after or the next morning to be released. He did talk to me on the phone though to make sure I was okay to head to the hotel--my surgery was out of town so things were a little different than heading home.

For my hysterectomy, I didn't see my surgeon before or after my hysterectomy. I don't remember seeing him the next day either--but I might have (it has been too long ago so things are getting fuzzy in my memory). The first time remember seeing him was on the second morning when he was checking me to be released. Since I had woke up with the beginnings of complications that morning, I didn't get to go any where and saw him just about every day for the remainder of my 10 day stay!

It really is not uncommon at all to not see your surgeon immediately following surgery--for one, they could be headed into another surgery or as ((greyown)) mentioned, they may have visited you in Recovery when you had no recollection of the visit--what actually happened for me with my second lap. If your stay is a short one and especially a less invasive one, it is also not all that uncommon to not even see your doctor before being released if you are doing well.

I am so sorry you are feeling abandoned but I don't think it was intentionally on your surgeon's part! When you see him for an appointment, share with him how you feel and maybe he will make changes to his routine for future surgical patients.

in there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Doc did not come to see me post-op

My doctor didn't visit me either. Though he did send his partner. I too wanted a visit. I had a lot of questions. And they still are unanswered. I get it . We are surgeons. We don't deal with talking people. We like them drugged naked and strapped to a table. They are much less annoying that way. I know I am being sarcastic, but it is very stressful right now and I feel neglected.
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:30 PM

My doctor didn't visit me the day after my surgery - but it was only because his schedule took him out of town. Had I known that sooner I might have second guessed my surgery date. He didn't leave me high & dry though - he sent his partner in to check on me. His partner is a very caring doctor and I was in god hands, he made sure to get some STRONG anti-barf meds since the phenegram wasn't working.... he was very upset that the nurse allowed me to stay like that through the night without putting in a call to my doc. He got my throwing up under control, made sure that I was okay. Even with the throwing up - he complimented how well I was doing for being less than 20 hours out from surgery.
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Hey Cindysusie,
Same thing happened to me. I had Davinci hyst and he found a "cyst" on my left ovary so took it. Told my husband he thought benign dermoid (which it was) and I spent the night in hospital. I never saw him after the surgery even though I unexpectadly lost one ovary to a mass. The nurses said if there were no complications during the night he didn't come that he had already written discharge orders. I found this really annoying. I had questions related my ovary and stuff. Turns out he called 2 days later with path report which confirmed what he thought, but still would have been nice to show up and decrease my anxiety. Doctors I swear.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register