Migraines - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Migraines

This is all very interesting. I can't really say if my hyst will have an effect on my migraines or not because I'm only 4 days out from surgery. I would get them right before my cycle, not eating, bright lights, smells, and changes in the weather (i.e. barometric pressure dropping, hot to cold or vice versa). I get them so bad the pain makes me throw up and then sometimes they get better or worse. My dr. said if they don't subside after this surgery, she will give me imitrex to take but I've never taken it before. Hoping I can deal with them or they just go away.............Good luck to you. I'll keep checking for info on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Migraines

Chessie513-

My sister had a tah/bso 20 years ago (no hrt), has always suffered from severe migraines. I don't think her migraines were hormonal--she gets them from many different triggers. At any rate, she has been on topamax for a few years (even before the FDA approved it for migraines) and it has helped her tremendously. Her side effects are minimal. She has noticed weight loss (she has always been thin-now down to her high school weight of 115) and a worstening of Reynauds syndrome. For her, those are minor side effects. That being said, she also takes imitrex if she needs to---just doesn't need it quite as often. Everyone is different, however, so your doctor would be the best source of information. I believe she actually goes to a neurologist for her headaches. Good luck--migraines are very nasty things.
Unread 07-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Migraines

southerngrl - I take imitrex. If I do my best to prevent migraines - lots of good sleep, lowering stress as well as I can - my migraines don't happen as much. BUT, I certainly still get them. Imitrex can help a lot if I take it just as soon as I get warning signs, "auras", or other early symptoms. I often have to take two pills and it sometimes comes in clusters over several days, but the Imitrex either makes it go away, or it makes it so much more bearable. It might be worth a try.
Unread 07-21-2006, 07:59 PM
nordic naturals omege 3s

Okay, ladies. I used to suffer w/ migraines before my surgery. What did I do? I was not wanting to be on prescription meds due to the warnings! So, I did research and found that Omega 3s were a natural anti-inflammatory! I got rid of my migraines before my surgery. I found Nordic Naturals to work the best (others do not compare to these). I stayed on them everyday. Afterall, they are just things our bodies need anyway. Our brain cannot produce the omegas on it's own. You have to give them to the brain. So, you can eat a lot of salmon, etc... or take to supplement. Don't use Omega 6 though. It is a pro-inflammtory. Anyway, I got to the point where I was able to take them only when I felt one coming on. I had to do this because of strained finances. It worked. But now I stay on them. I ran out the other day, and migraine came on. I was staying w/ my dad at the hospital and was very stressed. I went to the store as soon as I could and bought them. My migraine went away. I hope this helps everyone!!!!!!!!!! It has been such a blessing for me. You can buy them at health food stores or go to vitaminshoppe.com. I think betterlife. com might also have them but I am not sure. Give it a try! There are no side effects.
Unread 07-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Migraines

Chessie513,
I recently stopped taking topamax (after my surgery). I had been taking it for a year. I don't know how meds. affect you, but I have a hard time taking anything...I don'[t like feeling "wierd." Taking topamax was tough at first...it made me feel a little crazy. I was about to give up after a week or so, then my body adjusted. I still had migraines, but fewer. I also was having a lot of regular headaches, topamax seemed to cut those back too. I had both of my ovaries removed due to the migraines (I can't function when I get one, ibuprofen doesn't touch them). I have my fingers crossed! Hope topamax works for you if you choose that route!
Unread 07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Migraines

I used to get horrible migraines while taking birth control pills to try and regulate my cycles. They were awful. I would get about 3 a month and they lasted 3 days. At first my doctors didn't know what the cause of the migraines were. I decided to stop the pill and see what happens. I then only got a migraine right before my period and it only lastes a day. Since then they have become more infrequent. Ironically, I had a horrible migraine the saturday before my surgery and couldn't take anything but tylenol. The migraine lingered even through the surgery and got worse with the morphine they gave me. But with a little Toradol and ibuprofen it finally went away. I hope that I don'tt get another one for a very long time!!!! I feel for all you migraine sufferers!
Lisa
Unread 07-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Migraines

I have been a migraine sufferer since about age 7, although they went away for a while between ages 20(while preg with daughter) and did not come back again until age 28, then they came back with a vengance. I get them so bad, I throw up and get explosive diahrrea, my husband calls them my exorcist attacks. Over the years, they happen more frequent and are more intense, I go to the headache clinic for treatment. I was hoping that surgery would slow my headaches down some, since I could always count on getting them right around my period, and other times to. I have had one bad headache since surgery 3 months ago, so already thats a lot less than what I was getting, I guess we'll see as time goes on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register